INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear's Birth Place  (Read 422 times)

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear's Birth Place
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Some while back, I made mention of the fact that Fred Bear was born in Waynesboro, PA and that there is no recognition of that fact to be found anywhere in or around the town.  With some coaxing from a fellow trad-ganger, and since I live only 6 miles from Waynesboro, I decided to contact the city officials to see if a, or some, signs could be erected at the major entrances into town to acknowledge that fact.  I received a reply from the city manager wanting to know if Fred was actually born within the city limits or the surrounding area.  If he had been born in the township rather than the borough, different arrangements would have to be made. He forwarded my original email to the Waynesboro Historical Society and I was contacted by one of their people who said she would research and try to find his actual place of birth. After a lot of searching and about 3 weeks lapse of time, she discovered that Harry Leon Bear, Fred's father, lived at 43 East Second Ave, according to the census of 1900.  Therefore, one can assume that Fred was born in that house in 1902.  Harry, according to Charlie Kroll's biography of Fred, worked at the Landis Tool Co., in Waynesboro at the time.  The address makes sense in that Landis Tool is but a 4 block walk from there. Remember, these are the days before the automobile.  Men either walked or took the trolley or horse and buggy to work.  
So, Today I drove over and looked up the address.
To my surprise I found a house numbered 43 on E. 2nd Ave, but,unfortunaly I suspect it's not the original. It looks to have been built in the late 40's or early 50's and has a garage built to the rear.  I took a picture anyway and will post it here. There is an empty lot to the left
and a large side yard of another old house to the right.  It looks as if some houses have either been removed or, possibly destroyed for what ever reason to the left which has resulted in the empty lot.  The rest of the neighborhood has old two story houses of the period one would expect for the late 1890's or early 1900's.
Tom I.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear's Birth Place
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Thats is so cool
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Tom, that's a great effort on your part   :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Offline Forest Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
They need to cut the grass  :)  Neat thread keep at it.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Tom, I was always curious if it was "that" Waynesboro or some other one in PA. I went to Smithsburg HS not far from there and have spent quite alot of time there over the years. Does strike me as odd that a small town like that would not have done something already. Did they not even know of the connection prior to your contact? Cudos on the effort and please keep us updated on any developments. Fred Bear day???
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Probably didn't realize it, especially since FB didn't become well known until he was up in Grayling, MI.

My wifes folks live in Greencastle, just outside of Waynesboro, I'll have to swing by and have a look.

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©