INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grayling made Bear Takedown?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Grayling made Bear Takedown?
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I started a collection last year of bows that are made in Michigan.  So far I have all modern bows (Shrews, Griffin, Firefly, Thunderstick) but I think my collection would not be complete without a Grayling made Bear.  And I figured if I am going to start my search for one why not aim for the top.  So my question is what years did Bear make takedowns while still in Grayling Michigan and how hard is it to come across these bows?  I dont know much about the old Bear bows and from what I have searched these are pricey and a little hard to find.  Thanks for your input and have a great day.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grayling made Bear Takedown?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
TIM

If you want the best...I have it.  First year, 1970 B Riser, brown bears on the clamps.  Ultra Cherry, with 50# Black limbs-white tips.  I have $1500 in it and will let it go for that plus shipping.

It does have one very small fleck in the finish, and very minor indications of being shot on the arrow plate.  It also has the built in Bear Premier hunting sight with three ring pins.

I am retiring and will start thinning out my collection.

Let me know if you are interested.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the offer Jack and I will definatly keep it in mind.  Right now I have just started my search so I was just curious what I should keep my eye out for.  Your bow sounds like the crown jewel.

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I was just searching the internet for information and had another question on this.  I found that they were made in Grayling from 1970-1972 then some were put together from left over parts in the following couple of years.  Were all of these bows the magneseum risers?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Tim- The takedown (wooden) was made from '69 -'72. They appeared in the catalogue in 1970. There are considerable differences between the styleI and the styleII so you almost have to have both to review the evolution of the bow. The takedown was made on a limited basis up through 1976 and re-introduced around '79 after the move to Gainesville. I own samples of all these bows and honestly believe the Gainesville model is more to Mr. Bear's personal preferences than either of the first models. The Style I is blocky and overbuilt, with a flared heel and an elevated finger rest like a Tamerlane and the Style II is boogered up with a cut-out sideplate  and a scalloped finger rest area resulting in a radical "S" shape to the grip. Mr. Bear's personal bow was a Style I sans the finger pad and bulky handle- very similar to the green-stripe Gainesville riser and the Signature model. My Style I- my primary hunting bow- is modified to those dimensions and I couldn,t care less what it does to the collector value. The price Jack quoted you is a good deal, BTW. I rarely say "best" referring to anything, but, while these bows may not (aren't) the fastest ever built, they are the smoothest shooting,most ingeneously designed, bows ever built IMO. Good luck on your search.               Grant

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Well said GY.....bd

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks a lot guys.  That clears things up.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't know much about the Bear bows, but Grant, my Type 1 A riser fits my hand just perfect and I love it. I have two sets of limbs, #2 red tips that are 60# on this riser and a set of #3 white tips that are 65# on this riser.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Danny,and you never gave a detailed report of thhat bow to your beloved friend oversea,Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
They are very popular Danny- merely pointing out differences in models.          Grant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©