INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 56 Kodiak Special ???  (Read 486 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
56 Kodiak Special ???
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
OK, you guys are a bad influence on me.  I went and bought this thing at the Baltimore Shoot on Saturday.  I'm guessing it isn't anything special because I'm sure one of the other local collectors would have snapped it up before I did.  Anyway, after reading the KS thread at length, I think what I have is a '56 Kodiak Special.  It has Brown glass on the back and what looks to be green (but I'm guessing it's just worn gray) on the face.  The serial number is obviously wrong as it says 8L968, 64" and 46#.  It looks like it had a rather marginal refinsh job at some point, or rather someone put on a coat of thick finish.  I don't see any of the usual flecks near the tips nor are there any significant stress lines in the glass and it shoots very well.  The tips are in good shape except for one small chip in the micarta shown in the one pic.  It also needs a strike plate and rest.

Did I get the year correct?  What should be the correct brace height for this as they had a rediculously long string on it?  Anyone that saw this I'm open to your opinion.  I didn't pay much for it so I won't be offended.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 56 Kodiak Special ???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
yap it looks 1956-ish to me.Those are actually great shooting bows right there.The brace on Specials can run from around 7 to around 9 on some.You made a good score on that one........ bowdoc

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Looks just like my Special that I'm pretty certain is a 56. Mine had been refinished, and they left off the serial number. It just has 62" which is not correct as they never made them in 62"? and 49# written in ink on the right side of the riser. Bought it real cheap also.
 Nice bow you got there, they say there good shooters.                Scott

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Rich and I looked over that one and I commented that someone was gonna get good deal...it was priced right.  Nice bow! The arrow shelf was on the wrong side for me....
We both thought someone had re-written the serial#,
why, is a good question...
Tom I.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Tom, it was a good deal for me - I paid less then asking.  Funny thing, the guy at that booth bought that bow and that double shelf red limb Bear Cub from the dealer right next to him.  He really wanted to keep the Cub and sell the Kodiak Special.  That Cub was ok, but not that great and certainly not worth what the KS is.  The one I bought looks to me like it might have been refinished a long time ago and the serial number redone.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I have a Kodiak 64" 50# same year with the double shelf. Good shooter. Has a bit of a shock to it, but otherwise nice bow. Enjoy it

sam

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Well, I think I can noodle that riddle out...Like me, Gary's left handed and that's why it wanted to keep the Cub.... You got a great deal if he let it go for less than asking price....even that was a good buy.
Tom I.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
It looks like my 1955 kodiak special.  I think 55 and 56 were almost identical but the glass on the 55 was greyish green.  There is a string about the 50's kodiak special id from a few weeks before on this forum.  Or maybe I have a 56 kodiak.  Either way, sweet bows.  Bhill

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
That looks like a nice one Pat, I have a 57 Special 66" it likes a 8" brace height. Awesome shooter and one of the quietest shooters I have.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Does that strap on quiver slow the limbs down any. Nice looking bow for sure.

sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©