3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shiloe Hog Ranch  (Read 583 times)

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
Shiloe Hog Ranch
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Ralph Wilkerson and I will be hunting Shiloe In Feb. For those who have been, Anyone hunt in feb. How is the weather there. How close are the shots from tree stand to trail or feeder The little of the post I have read was about 23yd. That is a little farther than I would like to shoot? Thanks.
Geno
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shiloe Hog Ranch
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I hunted on the ground there about 4 years ago when cover was thick, and got very close to bedded hogs during the day.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline tjp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I've hunted Shiloh for the last 6 years in Feb.  You can get closer shots than that.  Play the wind.  They aren't tame by any means.  What dates are you going to be there.

Tom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I've not been in a good while, but knew Matt and Cheryl personallly when before they started Shiloh and after. Was out once.  Just hate airlines or would have done it many times.

practice a lot! All distances. I'm sure the stands change to keep them fresh, but pinpoint placement TIGHT behind the shoulder is the key thing!

they will take care of you and show you a wonderful time. of that you can be assured!

Matt shot trad for many years as does Cheryl...so they won't be set up at Wheelbow distances... have fun!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
I had a blast just slipping around and stalking the hogs. I'm not a fan of sitting over bait so if you take some friends that are on the same page then you all can stalk and have fun.  :)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Shiloh's very stick bow friendly.  I've been there in January and Feb and had nearly 70 degree weather both times, but they had a miserable ice storm right after that so you can end up with anything.

I actually got a tick bite in Feb it was so nice!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
From the stands I hunted in Jan they were all inside of 20 yards to the feeder as I remember.  More often than not though, they come from behind you and walk to the feeder when they come in.  

My shot was 18 yards directly under the feeder, pass through and a 60 yard recovery.  That was on stand #7.  I was the only trad shooter in camp and there were 5 shots taken out of 6 people and three hogs down.  One was a 75# female black and white spot, the second was mine at 205# male Razorback, and the other was another Razorback male that weighed 175 if I remember right.  Plenty of critters, nice living quarters, and generous hosts.  Hope to get back there again myself, it is a fun place to hunt.

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
I think its the 18,19,20. Is that right ralph? there is going to be 2 gun hunters there. at the same time as us.are you going this feb tom?

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Where is the Shiloe ranch?
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
south OK. Cant remember the town. Paper work is up stairs.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Geno, they do not allow gun hunters there at the smae time as bowhunters for safety reasons.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Geno, Your going to like hunting with Cheryl and Matt. The 14 hour drive saves me a lot of money. If it took 2 hours I'd be look for a new place to live.. I'd love to get back and hunt one more time.

Bob

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Two years ago it was in the 80's.  Last year we went over valentines day. It was well below freezing.  This year I hope it's in the 40 to 50 degree range.

You will have a great time no matter the weather.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Hey 2 big

These two guys were there before and asked to come back with a gun. He said the rule is load and unload and your stand only and they have to stay on, I think he said the north side of a river or creek or something. Not sure but they will be there. I am thinking some where around an 8 hour drive.I think he said it takes him 5 or   5 1/2 to get to springfield.

Jeff they are some good looking cutters. Did you get him mounted?

Hey Bob I think there is one more space open for those dates. They take 5 and I think there is only 4 booked.
G

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Geno it's in Ada Oklahoma and 10 hour from St. Louis.  Great people and nice place to hunt.

Dan Raney
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Not sure where you are Geno, but it only takes about 7, 7 1/2 hours from the KC area, and we don't speed but we keep our stops fairly few and brief.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline tjp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Geno,

Yep, Our crew is headed back again.  It will be 2 of my brothers,me, my dad and a cousin and his friend.  Plus I think my brothers are going to try to bring there son's down for the first time.  Kind of a family afair we have done for a while.  I don't think the boys are hunting but don't quote me on that.  I think we have the friday-sat-sun after Presiednts Day this year. I can't find a calender right now.  I think my wife hid it because she wants to go.  Matt and Cheryl are great host.  We have about a month left of deer season then I will start concetrating on hog shots.  Have fun.  I usually hunt stand 2 with my recurve and get some close shots.  Nice ladderstand.

Tom

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Geno, If I could have found some help, I probably could have pulled that off.. But with all the people out of work I still have no takers. So I get to stay here..

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
I live in rolla

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
You'll definitely eat good there. Cheryl can cook a gourmet meal over a campfire!
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©