INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Herters Perfection Mag ? old bow guru's  (Read 549 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Herters Perfection Mag ? old bow guru's
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I found this bow hanging in a gun shop, been shot one time by the store owner! this thing look's brand new! the guy is asking 225$ the bow is a Herters Perfection Mag 50# @ 28 58" long, it has a Herters quiver full of old Bear fiberglass arrows! My question, is this bow worth that much? it has an elevated rest so I would to build up the shelf to shoot off of it. It is a beutiful bow, "rosewood I think" and it has the original box and brochure, any info would be great!! Thanks,Jason

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Herters Perfection Mag ? old bow guru's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
TTT!!

Offline Forest Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
A bow of that beauty and worksmanship today for $225? plus old Bear arrows ? ? I would jump on it If I were needing a bow. But do the right thing and offer him $150   :)

Offline bkupris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
IMHO the Perfection Mag was one of Herters best shooters. It's very likely solid Brazilian Rosewood. What's the serial number??

I would buy it(quick)if it's like new as you say especially if it is a 60's or very early 70's model.
Brian Kupris

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
I'm not sure what the serial # is but the bow is in perfect condition! The man that ownes the bow was there and he said it was solid brazilian rosewood he bought it new and never shot it! I have a silvertip coming and hate to take the money out of that fund but I might just go ahead and get it!!  :thumbsup:  Thanks, Jason

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
My own personal rule of thumb is if I think it is worth that much I buy it. Doesn't matter what they go for on **** or anywhere else. Within reason...but if I like the deal and love the bow I move on it. Back when I had the whole internal debate thing I lost out on several nice bows that I still kick myself over. No more!! Sounds like a super nice bow and I agree with Forest Archer....with the quiver full of Bear arrows to sweeten the pot...
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
You might want to take a close look if shooting off the shelf is a deal breaker. Some of the Herters bows were set up to be elevated rest only. The shelf was cut in such a manner that it wouldn't hold an arrow. Several bowmakers in the 60's and 70's did this. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I looked it over and it is cut for an elevated rest, that is the only reason I did'nt buy it! I prefer to shoot off the shelf and if I bought the bow I would for sure shoot it!! Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated,Jason

Offline Dave Watson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Take a  look at the serial number. Most of the Herters bows (recurves) made prior to 1971 were made with Brazilian Rosewood. Afterwords, walnut and other woods, including some rosewoods. 580669003 serial number would mean: Bow length (58"), bow manufactured in June (06), year manufactured 19XX (69), and number of bows built that month (003). I have a large number of Herters bows, some in absolute mint condition. The price of $225 would be at the very high end of Herters pricing, even with arrows.
PBS Regular
Comptons Member
Hunt them close, hunt them fair.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Look and see if the bow has a 1/4" hole in the window area above the shelve. The hole is for the Herters Brush Rest. It just pushes into the hole, pull to remove/replace. If you need one for this bow I have a couple. If you build the shelve up then you are shooting from an elevated rest, right? If it doesn't have the hole then use a Bear weather rest or a Hoyt finger rest, or a flipper.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
If you don't want it, by it for 125 or 150 and ship to me and I'll pay the shipping.

sam

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
JUMP ON IT IN 10 YEARS THAT BOW WILL PROBABLY DOUBLE IN VALUE. THATS BETTER THAN MY 401K
Frank

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©