INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Charles Grayson  (Read 402 times)

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
Charles Grayson
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Charles E. Grayson M.D.

7/24/1910 - 5/17/2009
Charles E. Grayson, M.D., was born in 1910 on a farm in Iowa. At nine years old, the family relocated to Riverside, California. After graduation from Pomona College he studied physics at UC Berkeley, but eventually changed his interests to medicine. He graduated from Stanford School of Medicine in 1942 as a radiologist. In 1946 Dr. Grayson joined the Zimmerman Group. In 1947 Dr. Grayson was instrumental in bringing the first million-volt x-ray therapy machine west of the Mississippi to Sacramento, and in 1969 the first high-energy linear accelerator in the area. In 1972 Dr. Grayson retired from the group, now known as Radiological Associates of Sacramento Medical Group, Inc., where he served as President from 1963 to 1972. Dr. Grayson took up archery, which he had studied in school and became involved in local, regional, and national archery associations. He became skilled in making various types of bows and won many medals in competition, at one time holding the amateur record for the 65-lb class in flight shooting. Dr. Grayson was inducted into the Archery Hall of Fame in 2005, and authored the last of his many books, ''Traditional Archery from Six Continents: The Charles E. Grayson Collection,'' published in 2007. Dr. Grayson passed away in an Oregon skilled nursing facility where he was recovering from a broken hip. He leaves no family other than the many friends he made over the years, including his ''surrogate daughters,'' Robin Kresh and Jo Ann Barba. Dr. Grayson wished to be cremated and his ashes spread near the home that he shared with his wife Ada until her death many years earlier. A private celebration of his life will take place in Clatskanie the weekend of June 6. He dedicated much of his time and energy to the Clatskanie Library.

Thank you, Bert it was an honor and a pleasure knowning You.
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charles Grayson
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Waterhole-Ike
My condolences to family and friends.

I never met him,and have only heard of some of his accomplishments,and of his bow collection, seems like one of the greats has passed.

Is Dr Grayson's bow collection displayed somewhere?

Where is Clatskanie?
                Kurt

Offline jester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
Kurt – the Grayson Collection is on display at the Anthropological Museum, the University of Missouri:
 http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/grayson.shtml

A number of prominent artefacts are also presented in the book "Traditional Archery from Six Continents".

You'll also find some recollections and personal remarks by some who knew Dr Grayson on these forums:
 http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167
 http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1312

A great loss for the world of traditional archery indeed. May he rest in peace!

Jan

Offline Chuck Homitz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
NICE WRITE UP IKE. SEE YOU AT COMPTON. MAYBE YOU CAN BRING ME A DUTCHMAN OR A FANG. [ha ha]

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Thanks Ike very nice.C.E.Grayson also known to some as Bert Grayson he was a fine man to visit with... bowdoc

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Nice obit and thanks for letting us know of his passing to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

A fine fellow and true archer, RIP

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Yes Bert my good friend and teacher. Marlon
marlon torres

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©