INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Vintage Arrows and Arrows that Look like Vintage Arrows  (Read 2463 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Vintage Arrows and Arrows that Look like Vintage Arrows
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
We don't talk about arrows much on this forum.  

Occasionally there is a post about a signed arrow or a rare collectible arrow, but what about the everyday shooters.  

Does anyone else like to make arrows similar to the arrows found in the 50s and 60s?  I've been building arrows for several years and for the past couple years I've tried to build arrows with that vintage flair.  

Here are a few of mine.  I know Mike Shaw and Reddoge build some and I'm sure there are others.

If you have some Vintage arrows that you think are pretty cool or some that you built, feel free to post them on this thread.  

Just a little show and tell.

Microflite 7s Shafts were given to me by Bjorn.  I cleaned them up and refinnished them.

Supercedars

Couple of variations

I like bright colored arrows and really like barred turkey feathers.

I need to take some more pics and I will over the next few days but feel free to show some of your favorites.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vintage Arrows and Arrows that Look like Vintage Arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Nice job Daryl.....they sure look good. I have a few around I'll dig out for some pic's....Bill   :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
oh yeah well I did not make up the arrows myself.My buddy Larry who is a master of cresting made then up for me.They were all old stock purchased in the 1950's and had been in storage until we got them around 1995.Larry made me a dozen matched spine and weight to match the Bear arrows that were all dipped in white so Fred's camera man could pick up the arrow in flight easier.This is one I used on a black bear in 2005.I love those vintage looking arrows.bowdoc  

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Great looking arrows Trap! I just bought 266 cedar shafts yesterday, new old stock. Bought them from the Widow of a man that had an archery shop from the mid 50s to 1988. Most had tags on the bundles, and they were purchased from Ben Pearson Archery. Real nice old shafts.
 I was thinking of making them up to look old school.

Scott

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
The top arrow is a 1958 Bear X-300. I liked the fletch shape. A lower profile and a bit more forward slope to the shield.
So I made the lower arrows(12). It is a 11/32 tapered on the rear to 5/16. I had a package of new /old stock barred feathers that I custom burned to a similar shape. They have 1964 Bear Razorheads on them and they reside in the 1960 Northwoods quiver. I would have prefered having 1957 heads , but I don't have but one of them.  

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
I like that profile Ron.  Nice work.

I have my burner set to do a sort of low profile 5 1/2" shield.  

I especially like bloody arrows Doc.  They have MOJO like no others.  "Once a killer, always a killer"

When I first started shooting Traditional equipment in '89 I had one arrow that I harvested 4 whitetails with.  A doe finally bit the flrtching end off when I failed to get a complete pass thru.  I loved that arrow, and loved the table fare that doe provided.  I was a starving college student and my roomates and I ate well that semester.

I picked up 3 perfect LW Primaries from a food plot on my farm that turkeys strutted in alot this spring.  I'm setting them aside for use on a special arrow.  I'm intending to give the feathers back to one of them next spring.  

Keep em coming guys.  Arrows are pretty cool eye candy.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Trap, Very nice job one them arrows.. I have a few Microflite that I should add some new Feather's to............

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I too really like to "vintage look" for my arrows. I prefer shield 5" or 5.5" and natural turkey feathers are my fletching of choice (dyed or natural color) I like bright dipping and nocks but havent made up my mind yet on cresting. Love the look though and that is the type arrow I shoot. John
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
great looking arrows Trap,I really like the display above the windows.  :cool:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Here's a few Bear Archery arrows from my small collection.

And a few more examples of some I've made. Most are tapered POC that I get from Mike at the Nocking Point.

Trap

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
My favorite arrows are made by Brandywine arrows out of Delaware. The older gentleman and his wife set up at the Baltimore Classic every year. Very good people. They give a free arrow to every kid that comes by his booth. Very willing to share time and knowledge with pains in the butt like me.

These are Sitka Spruce. They are not cheap, but when I get them home every the lightest arrow was 3 grains lighter than the heaviest arrow!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I like the old look myself.  I did these last year to duplicate my old 1969 Bear set of Microfights I used to kill my first deer in 1969.  I like the shield fletch but I bought 100 parabolic and I'm cheap so I'll use them up first.

I did these to experiment with some different stains.  The red shafts would be good for target work to find in the grass.

One thing about making your own is you are limited only by your imagination.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Here's another set I got this year at the BBTC that I like. I picked them off a blanket at the "swap meet" for cheap.

They are Cedars, but they actually have an insert located near the point that is the shaft of an aluminum arrow. I liked the look, but I was worried how that extra weight would make them fly. I bought them and immediately went to shoot them. And , luckily, they flew great. An old trick at the new "weight front technology"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Wow all y'all those are great!! Trap the Microflites sure look a lot better now than they did when I sent them out. The fletching and cresting are really well executed!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Let's see some of those Vintage Sweetlands Bjorn.

Trap

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Very nice Richard, Very Nice!!!!!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Trap,
I love the way you display those beautiful arrows.

Bill,
They would make good stumpin arrow.

Random thought:  Making arrows is similar to carving hunting decoys in that you want them to be nice looking but you can't get too carried away with the decorative touches because it will break your heart to loose or break them.  You have to know when to draw the line.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
My son Adam (15) was an admirer and friend of Al Harford-they had their own adhock shooting competitions going on all the time-with bets no less.
This year Adam is going on his first Elk hunt-the PBS Youth Leadership Hunt. He will be using Forgewoods that belonged to Al-they possess an overdose of mojo!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Those arrows wreak of MOJO!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing Bjorn and Adam  :thumbsup:  

Hope to see one of those with three red feathers this fall.

Trap

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Trap-Here's a nice box of some Sweetlands for you.Got the headshrinkers on 'em with Bear Razorheads too.They are SWEET!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©