INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Al Reader Has Left Us  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Al Reader Has Left Us
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Tom Jenkins called this morning with the sad news that Al Reader passed away. I was fortunate to have known Al for over 25 years. He was undoubtedly the most enthusiastic Bear Collector on the planet. Words can't describe what a great person that Al was and what all of his contributions have meant to the world of collecting old archery tackle.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Al Reader Has Left Us
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Very sad news indeed, Wade. I was fortunate to get a glimpse of part of Al's remarkable and most impressive Bear collection at last year's Compton Rendezvous.

Ray

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
While I never had a chance to meet Mr. Reader but my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I can't count the number of times I have read his articles that I downloaded about Bear bows. His info was the first and only I had when I started.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
we will him for sure one of the finest.bowdoc

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Thanks Wade for letting us know... I spent some time with Al last year at Compton.... Man I know I will sure miss him.. He was a great guy.....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I too have had the great pleasure of knowing and dealing with Al many times over the last 15 years. Al shared a great deal of knowledge with me
and I am thankful for that. My prayers go out to his family and his vast circle of friends as they learn to accept his journey to be with our father.

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
I am saddened to of the passing of Al Reader.He was a very special person always willing to share his knowlegde and passion collecting Bear bows.I've had many conversations with Al over the last 12 years and will miss him alot.My condolences to his wife and family.Ron Reagle

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Al.  My condolences to his family and friends.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
My deepest condolensces to the Reader family.  

I never got meet Al, but his vast knowledge has taught me alot about the bows, and the sport I love.  Thanks Al.

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
To those of you that knew him personally and to Al's family I offer my deepest condolences.  

There's only a few "sure things" we are promised when we arrive here on earth and one is that we will pass.  

From everything I've read, Al Reader made the most of his time spent here with us.  His passion, committment and thirst for knowledge benefitted all of us that are caught up in Trad History and collecting.  His willingness to share these things was his gift to all of us.  

Thank You Al for taking the time, even for those of us that never had the pleasure of meeting you.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
We all lost much when Al passed away. My sympathies to his family and many friends. Tough shoes to fill.                Grant

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
What a tragedy, I am shocked. I still can't believe it. Condolences to his wife Nina and family. He will be sorely missed.
Joe

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Al is second from the left standing in this 1986  photograph of 17 of us Collectors / Bow Hunters.

Probably not many Trad Gangers can put a name with every face of these 30 and 40 year old bowmen. Have many fond memories of this week long hunt.

Note Al is the only guy who did not put his bow down for the photograph... He probably wanted to make sure it did not get hijacked. There were several pranksters in the group.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I was just starting to know him.I sended me,a week ago,a mail sayng he was going to the hospital and altrough he was in a hurry he took the time to replay.Prayers for a great person,my condolences to the family.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Al was always quick to respond to emails and questions-he must have had all kinds of people after a slice of his time or expertise-but he never let that get in the way. Greay guy! What a shock.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Still stunned to hear of Al's passing.I've known Al for as long as I've been collecting Bear stuff.He was always so nice to talk to and shared so much of his knowledge.I finally got to meet Al in person last summer at the Compton shoot and see some of his collection.Here are a couple of pics I had from that shoot that I scanned.The trad community has lost one of it's gems.First pic is Al with my son Cody.

Al and myself.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
wow, sad day. I never knew him but had read some of his articles and seen some videos of him. I definately admired his thirst for knowlege and willingness to share.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Hats off to an extraordinary man.Thank You very much Al for sharing with me and many many others your knowledge & enthusiasum for Bear Archery & collecting in general.I will never forget being invited to your house on the couple occasions and being allowed to fondle all the cool bows especially the LEFTIES which I happen to be as well as Al.Sharing the booth 2 years ago at Denton is etched in my mind as well as a few weeks ago sitting side by side with you eating dinner with the other New Jersey bowhunters.Your memory will live on.Seems like just yesterday we met in Saugerties,NY for the game dinner/archery shoot ,but it was close to 20 years ago.

Rest in peace
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Prayers go out to Al & his family.He was a fantastic person.He will truly be missed.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Al has helped Sue & I many times over the years in our collecting venture. We will miss him dearly. Our condolences to his family.

Mike & Sue Shaw
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©