INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Al Reader Has Left Us  (Read 1987 times)

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Al Reader Has Left Us
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I miss Al already. He was a friend who I have many good memories of. We went to many shoots together over the years and always had a great time.Al was always a great shooter.One time Al surprised me with a gift from his collection. It was a bow that he knew I  would love to have, a clean 1959 Kodiak 60"65#. I must have thanked him for that gift a hundred times over the years.Might as well make it 101 times, thank you Al.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Last  year when I was at a archery shoot Al and myself where talking about something about bear arrows..Then Al said wait here I will be rigth back.. He came back with two old Bear wood arrows and said Here you go cody he said I know there not much and I said Al thses are great as there where the first Bear woods arrows I ever had... I still have them hanging in my room....

Thanks Al for every thing man..
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
It is a sad day for traditional archery. All of us small time collectors lost a big brother.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Just came across this old photo.These two old friends are probably getting re-aquainted right now.Fred's probably asking Al some questions about Bear Archery history.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
Great Pic John thanks for posting it...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/mooseran/?action=view¤t=IMG_0200a.jpg" target="_blank">http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/mooseran/IMG_0200a.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
My condolences to all Al's friends and especially his family.

I visited his display at Comptons last year and never knew the history I was looking at. I'm fairly new to collecting and a bit shy when it comes to talking to someone who is out of my "league". I'm a bit boneheaded also, as I know now that there are no "leagues" in Traditional Archery, just good people. I wish with all my heart I would have spoken with Al a few minutes.

I will make more of an effort to speak with folks, as I may miss making a new friend.

Godspeed Al.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Thank You AL....For Everything

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Kenny just summed up my feelings exactly.
Didnt know the man, but I do now from reading these pages.
Brad

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Al sure was a great guy; I contacted him and John Lee last year before Compton and asked if two old Broadhead collectors could set up with the two of them. They both where great about making room for us with our displays and Al told me later that he was happy that we came because it rounded out the room with the bows, arrows, quivers etc.  I think that’s the kind of guy he was in the short time I had talked with him, considerate of other people after all we are all one in collecting. I feel fortunate to have spend the three days talking with Al about the things we feel so deeply about, Traditions.
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I don't know how to transfer photo from bucket so I posted the photos on Stickbow of Al from last years Compton Rendezvous.    moose

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Moose - Below, I just linked to your photographs of Al on photobucket, may save time for some trying to find them on Stickbow... You do know how to take a good photograph...

Al, looking serious

Norman, Al and Barb...

Fred and Al

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Lamont Granger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
wow, small world.  I know all of the people in the above 4 photos.  Lamont

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks Wade. Maybe I'll figure out how to post from Bucket before I get to old........

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Moose - I see from your post that you used the HTML Code line for the photographs. The HTML looks like this, and does not work...

http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/mooseran/?action=view¤t=IMG_0200a.jpg" target="_blank">http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/mooseran/IMG_0200a.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

In Photobucket, you want to use the line below HTML Code... which is the IMG Code and looks like this.

[IMG]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/mooseran/IMG_0200a.jpg[/IMG ]

I just inserted an additional space before the last closed bracket, so the code appears as text above, rather then your actual photograph.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline GWert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I’m not a regular poster on any Internet site, I just check in from time to time to see what’s going on, but I just have to respond to this one. I considered Al a friend although I did not know him as well as many on here. I first met Al when I called him with a question about an old Kodiak. He talked to me, a total stranger, for over 2 hrs. That was about 13 yrs ago.
 I’m going to tell a quick story about Al the jokester.
My brother and I were shooting on course #3 (Elm Hollow) at Denton, both of us shooting a 59 Kodiak and Al came walking up the road. He stopped and said Gary some friends of mine are camped up the hollow and would I be willing to play a joke on them with him. He explained what he wanted to do and I said sure will. He went on up the hollow and we kept shooting. When we got up to the camp Al yelled up “Gary are you ready to sell that maple window 59 yet ?”. That was the start of the prank. We walked down and I said I really did not want to sell it. Al said he would give me $75  for it. The guys in camp, all bear collectors, were starting to get a little restless thinking here he goes again getting a bargain. I said but Al the lower tip overlay has been replaced, $75 was the reply. I said OK, handed him the bow and he gave me the money. You could just see the jaws of the guys in camp drop. Then Al lost it and started laughing so hard everyone knew they had been had.
Al really enjoyed that little prank and mentioned it just about every time he asked if I still have the 59. I would just say yes I do and it is not for sale.
I guess some of those camp members visit these sites and will remember this prank.
 Thanks for all the memories Al .

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
Rest in peace Top Kodiak. <-------<<<
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Very sad news. Marlon
marlon torres

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
Like everyone (just about) I've heard words often about the "great Bear collector" from NJ, many times and places - always "good" words. My respects and condolences to family and friends.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
I am really sorry the read this! Have dealt with Al only very little, but felt honored I was allowed to do it at all, after having learned so much of off his writings before ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©