3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Masters of the Bare Bow Vol II  (Read 857 times)

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Masters of the Bare Bow Vol II
« on: December 06, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I just got done watching MBBII for about the fifth time this morning. It is awsome to have so much information on shooting styles and techniques all in one spot.  There is so much good information in there I've had to watch it a few times to digest it well and will probably watch it many more times before summer gets here.  

I identified most with Barry and Fred's shooting style, but I think I got the most out of Ty, Van and Larry's segments.  I think Fred called it the "grip it and rip it" and I guess that is more how I was taught and I understand it pretty well.  Pick a spot concentrate and release.  
I have no intention of gapping, face walking, or string walking but their explaination of practice, mind set, and form mechanics were very enlightening.  I am for sure going back to the one arrow practice again.  I've done it in the past but find myself slipping back to taking 3 and 4 arrow out to practice.  I agree that one arrow makes me concentrate alot more on form and the execution of the shot.  

What did you guys think of the tech shooters?  I really wasn't all that sure at first, but after watching it several times I think their going to have the most impact on my future shooting.dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Masters of the Bare Bow Vol II
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
I agree with You it was a  DVD  to watch Several Times to Catch the Stuff Ya Missed!  :readit:   I did the Same with  Volume 1!! I saw a Lot of Helpful and  "NEW To ME"  Hints and Suggestions!  :thumbsup:  
  I had Heard Of "String Walking" and that it was a  "MAJOR NO-NO"  if I were Going to Participate in a Tournament!  My Mentor  Told Me How I could Do it and Not Get Caught, but I, Personally, dont like the Idea of a  "Small Or ANY Cheating".This is "MY Personal OPINION" and I am Not Trying To Ruffle Anyones Feathers Now!
   If it Helps to get A Clean Kill Shot, I am  ALL for it!!
     Anywho, I Enjoyed The  DVD 2  and am Sure to Watch it Over,Again!! Is There a  VOL. 3  in the Works?  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I thought Steve Fausel was awesome. He seemed so natural in his style and consistency. However, despite claims made by some that they just "grip it and rip it" is like trying to tell someone how easy it is to drive a car/truck with a standard transmission when the one you are telling about it has never done it. And we forget how much work and practice and actual driving we did before it became automatic. I think it is the same with archery. Learn good basic form...of any kind...and then over time your own style will become self evident and it will become so natural that until you develop some form/accuracy problems you almost forget that you first had to learn the basics. And, despite the insistence that they only looked at what they were shooting at they all had a definite shooting sequence (form) that they adapted as their own..esp. their anchor and release sequence.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
I loved the DVD and have watched it many time already.    It has opened my eyes to areas of archery I had not seen before and gave me many idea's as to how to improve my own accuracy at  longer distences.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I read a promotional summary on Vol. II since I was interested in buying it (already have Vol. I), but it sounds like its much heavier into formal/target style than was Vol. I.  True?  If instinctive style is only a small portion I wouldn't be much interested in getting it.

For those who have seen it, can you make a guess on what percentage of the DVD is mechanical style vs. instinctive style?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by dino:
What did you guys think of the tech shooters?  I really wasn't all that sure at first, but after watching it several times I think their going to have the most impact on my future shooting.dino
IF there was one single statement in the DVD that jumped out at me the most, it was Ty's comment that (and I'll paraphrase this) string-walking is an old style of shooting that's been lost between instinctive and sights. I'd never thought of it that way before, but he was right on the money.

Gap, point of aim and string-walking all predate the general use of bow sights. There's nothing new about it, but we as archers/bowhunters have lost sight of these artforms over the years as we somehow fell into the "instinctive or sights" categories.

I liked all the segments of both DVD's, but what tickled me the most was seeing the more dedicated forms of aiming demonstrated and explained. So much has been written about instinctive shooting over the past couple decades (great information too) that other forms of aiming have become somewhat of a mystery to most. If nothing else, the MBB series has taken a lot of the mystery out of noninstinctive barebow shooting. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do in Volume 3.

Offline Lane Puckett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
"For those who have seen it, can you make a guess on what percentage of the DVD is mechanical style vs. instinctive style? "

If all you get it for is the bow/arrow tuning shown by Ken Beck and others it is well worth the cost.  I've never seen a better explaination of arrow tuning and the shooting problems that it can point out.

There is actually quite a bit of what you term 'instinctive' shooting in it.  I find even the instinctive shooters need to find their consistent form and that is well represented in MBBII.

It is all good.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
1 and 2 are both interesting and helpful dvd's but I would like to see more in depth explanation or instruction. I felt like I got just enough info to alter my style a bit but not enough to become proficient.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
A great DVD, the Larry Yien segment is awesome, a complete in depth instruction on how he shoots. Probably one of the best examples of how a true anchor, release should feel, by a 3 time world longbow champion.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
TSP,
Honestly I think it is about a 50/50 split.  3 what I would call tech shooters (Ty, Van, Larry) and 3 instinctive shooters (Barry, Fred, Steve) with 3 different segments on arrow tuning that could fall either way.  Pretty even split.

Jason,
I think you hit it right on the head for me.  There have been alot of articles, videos and books out there on instinctive shooting but little on other methods.  I know when my dad shot target archery in the 50s and 60s string walking was very prevelent.  Face walking I thought was a dead art.  It is good to see these forms still in practice and described as well as they were.

Can't wait to see what is in store for vol III.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
Fred Asbell? I didn't see him in Vol I

Offline Lane Puckett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
"Fred Asbell? I didn't see him in Vol I "

I think he meant Fred Eichler who is in Vol II

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
I like Steve Fausel , as well ...was that 64 or 66 inch Blackwidow??? Fred E. was top self ... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Ooops Thanks.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
You nailed it dino.  there is something to be learned from everyone on the "Masters" DVD if you keep an open mind.  Even though they use different aiming methods, the great archers all stress form, mental attitude, form, consistance, form and, oh yeah, proper archery form.  World class archers didn't get there by chance.  They have studied proper form, been coached by the best, been dedicated to their choices and faithfully practiced the consistancy to excell. No matter how you choose to aim, or not aim, you can learn a lot from a champion.  I choose to shoot "instinctively" because I enjoy it but my own shooting has improved because of tips I've learned from the Masters, even if they use a different aiming method.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
By the way, Shakes, string walking isn't a Major No-No.  It is an accepted practice in some tournaments, not accepted in others.  Ty Pelfrey is one GREAT archer and teacher.

I agree, Bill.  Steve Fausel is awesome.  I love to watch him shoot.

Your comments are right on, Jason.  We archers would do well to worry less about how we "aim" and more about how we "shoot".

Glad you liked the arrow tuning, Lane.  A perfectly straight flying arrow will shrink your groups for sure.

Kodiak.  I agree.  It would cost a fortune to hire an archery coach to tell you the things Larry Yien explained so well.  Besides, I love to hear him laugh!  LOL

It was a pleasure working with all the shooters on MBBII.  Thanks everyone.  Darryl

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks to you guys for putting it all together. Its going to be a big help to traditional shooters. I have bought probably every shooting book and video out in my search to keep improving and the Masters of the Barebow is the best out there. I cant wait to see vol 2 its at the top of my christmas list.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Yep, thanks Denny and Darryl, it's a beauty! I had a blast yesterday trying a little bit of gap shooting! Cheers, and keep up the good work...which reminds me, I'm still hanging out to see Denny produce a flick of his Australian adventures! How's that going?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Ben, Darryl has been logging tapes for a water buffalo DVD that should come out next year.

Mark, Stve Fausel was shooting a BW LX with a custom shortened riser. They cut a regular(LAG type) longbow in half, shortened the riser and put it back together with the talon TD system. I don't know the length.

We're sure glad that folks enjoy the MBB DVDs and appreciate your support. I think Vol. 3 will be feasible because of it. Thanks

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
I'll be buying my copy as soon as xmas has passed.
I bought MBB1 early last year and after 30 years of being an average (but happy archer)I found things in what Rod Jenkins,Roger Rothaar,and Ron LaClairs styles that struck a cord with me,and I went on to win the recurve section of the Pacific 3D championships last month.
I now think we all owe it to ourselves to watch these DVD's because it doesn't matter our own style,,there's something for everbody in there.
The three gentlemen I got most from have totaly different ways of doing things,but I got valuable help from all of them.
An those I didn't get anything from,,,,no such thing,,,just plain great to see in action.
Many thanks to all those folks for sharing with us.
John.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©