INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: old film  (Read 455 times)

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
old film
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Back in the late '80s at the Great Lakes shoot, Jay massey showed a film of a gentleman from Alaska. What a shot with a recurve he was! He spent the whole fall season on a trip to hunt throughout the state taking Bear, Moose and even a whale  along the way. Great adventure and great time for me, one fine summer day in Marshall Michigan. I do remember Jay saying the gentleman was a large carpet dealer in Alaska! Does anyone know if the film is available on dvd or video? Thanks Steve

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: old film
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
I wonder if it would be art laha ?.......

But I sure would like to see this Video as well...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I saw a movie made by two brothers who lived off of the land in Alaska back in the late 60s.  I don't think that is the one.  They used recurves, bright pink flecthing which ahowed up nicely on film.

The two shots I remember were a shot at a bedded cow caribou for meat in a snowstorm.  The fletch arched towards the animal, dissappeared into it's side and it just lay there, never moved.

The other was they were walking through very high bruxh and a huge grizzly reared up right in front of them.  The pink fletched arrow hit the Grizzly in the eye and then they dropped the camera and ran.  They came back the next day and it was dead.

I'd like to see that one again.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Here on TG in the video vault there is a cool video of Bart Schleyer and Paul Schafer hunting Grizzly Bears. Long watch but pretty cool. As a young kid I remember watching a Fred Bear show and him shooting that big Grizz that came walking down the beach (with Fred tucked in behind that big rock) I would love to see that one again some day. In fact I would like to see all the old Fred Bear shows again and watch them with my kids.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
The gentleman you are referring to was named Jordan of jordans carpet here in anchorage.  Can't remember his first name but the movie he made was titled ATARI.Talked with the guy a lot while delivering carpets to his store.  Great guy.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »
OK Got my brain back on line and here is what I can remember.  His first mane is Dan.  He told me in one of our many talks that he shot at least a hundred arrows a day from his 103# bow.
As for the movie, he could never find any financing to make it into a mainstream movie cause of all the do gooders and bunny huggers were giving him so much flack about being too graphic.  He said he made a big mistake and sold bits and pieces of it with many other films he made of alaska wildlife.  Some footage actually went to Disney, while some went to different film collections.
Would love to get a copy now, but I think we are out of luck.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Bill, not doubting you but, someone knows, the names not familiar. Do not remember him shooting heavy weights. His recurve had white glass . I do remember him shooting across water in the beginning at cans or something. Kinda reminded me of Terry Green in his spot at the hog target! No not Art Laha, this man didn't have a double arrow rest! Good shootin, Steve.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Steve,  didn't mean to say he hunted with that heavy a bow, don't know what he used in the film.  What I do remember is shooting a bear facing him in the mouth, dropping him and shooting beluga whales in cook inlet.  Belugas are the little (20 foot) white whales that the natives in the area  hunt and harvest.  I guess what brought up memories of this particular film was knowing Jay Massey and knowing he used that movie on numerous occasions up here at functions as well as outside.  Might be two different movies, just seems to be a lot of coincidences.  Bill

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Bill, thanks for the info, you would know being from Alaska, the name just didn't ring a bell. Is this gentleman still alive, or is there any written material about him? Would be interesting! Thanks again, and good shootin, Steve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©