INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tru oil then what?  (Read 392 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru oil then what?
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
A week into to cleaning up the 69 KH that I just bought and have filed in the two drilled holes, sanded out the nicks and scratches, on the 12th coat of Tru Oil and now would like a little help on the next step; yes the bow is looking great. What should be put on now? I have a can of spray Minwax fast dry polyurethane but note that on the can it states for "interior" use only. Should I go with this or just put on several coats of a paste wax, like Johnson? I have been afraid that if I got an older bow that I would be hooked and yep the Bear fever has taken hold of me.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru oil then what?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Don't know what to tell ya on your finish (sure the experts will chime in soon), but that fever can be REALY BAD!! I don't know if there is a CURE.  :scared:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Jamie, I don't put any finish on top of Tru Oil.  After the final coat of Tru Oil has cured for several days.  I go over it lightly with 2000 grit wet sand paper (found at auto parts stores) or very fine steel wool.  I then polish it with bowdoc's bow polish.  Any paste wax would probably work fine but I'll use Doc's polish untill I run out.  I'll then be beggin Doc for some more.  It just works well.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Unless you can spray like bowdoc Tru Oil is the hands down winner. I wipe on 6 or more coats and only steel wool between the last two. I would not cover it with anything. Unless you want to buff it with a fine compound.
The product is very weatherproof and you can add a coat whenever you see the need. The problem with wax is you need to get rid of it before the next coat of whatever or you may not have a good bond.
So after the last coat of Tru Oil-go hunt!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
nothing over the tru oil just let it dry for about 48 hrs at room temp and she should be good to go.bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©