INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: John Grumley Passed Away  (Read 893 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
John Grumley Passed Away
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
John Grumley passed away today.

John was the son of Nels Grumley, Fred Bear’s Bowyer up until 1948. John grew up around his father’s workbench and was a skilled traditional bowyer in his own right.

I was very fortunate to have been one of John’s countless friends. Last fall I had the privilege of acquiring John’s entire collection of bows and archery memorabilia, which includes dozens of items, made by and owned by Nels. After John was diagnosed with cancer just a few months ago, we talked about many things including the importance of preserving the traditional history and the artifacts.

I simply can not express what a great person John was and how much he did in his life to preserve the early history of Bear Archery from the 1930s to the 1950s.

Loosing Al Reader last Sunday, then John Grumley today, makes this the saddest week ever to the world of collecting old archery tackle.

John & Al, you guys are really missed. Our deepest sympathies to your families.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: John Grumley Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
My condolences to John's family.  Sorry to hear about the passing of yet another friend Wade.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Wade
Please pass on well wishes from us all, this certainly has been a sad week.
Brad

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Condolences to the Grumley family. May John rest in peace.

Joe

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I have a friend that used to live right around the corner from John and I had only one meeting with him. It was while I was tracking a deer my brother shot during the late bow season I believe it was either "96" or "97" he had to go home so I told him I'd find it. The area is over 1,000 acres of unbroken cedar swamp and most of it is private property but I didn't think I'd run into anyone since it was the late season, I was wrong.I was tracking the deer until I heard a voice from a tree asking what I was doing on his property and you guessed it was John. I think the only thing that saved me from a severe tongue lashing was the fact I was carrying a recurve. He said that if I made a sharp right turn that I would end up at the main road and that's exactly what I did. After that I called my brother and told him that he would have to ask permission from John if he wanted that deer since I didn't think he wanted to see me anytime soon. Anyway that's my John Grumley story I wish I had gotten into collecting sooner maybe I would have gotten to know him better. Condolences to his family.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
My prayers go out to Mr. Grumley's family and friends. Truly a sad week for traditional archery.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
My prayers go out to his family as well... I only met john and his son jonh jr a few times....  But man I will never forget those days... Thanks....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
prayers sent from pa.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
May he rest in peace and be in a good place with Fred B slinging the golden arrows

sam

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
What a sad day.I've known John for several years myself and he was truly a special person.As Wade said he did alot to preserve the early Bear Archery history.Condolences and prayers go out to his family.

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
cancer sucks.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
The Funeral will be at the Martinson Funeral Home in Suttons Bay on Wednesday, June 10th at 2:00pm

The number of the funeral home is 231 271-3441

He will be missed ....  :archer:   Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Condolences and prayers go out to his family.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Man,I cant even go out of town without something happening.Prayers go out to his family.Thanks  Wade for keeping us informed.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Rick - These are very sad times.  

Yesterday, I was looking over many of John's bows including some of his more modern ones. The Bear Super Kodiak Commorative of John's is in its original green padded Bear bow case. John only shot it twice. First at Floyd Eccleston's 21 Arrow Salute, and second at Frank Scott's 21 Arrow Salute. There are several signatures on the bow, including yours Rick. Did you shoot with John in both of those 21 Arrow Salutes?

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I did shoot in Frank Scotts 21 arrow salute.Mrs. Scott gave me a Bear key chain afterwards & I have had it hanging on the mirror of my truck eversince that day.It reminds me of Frank every time I see it.John Grumley asked every one that participated to sign the bow.I was present & watched every second  of Floyds.I would love to see that bow.Frank & Floyd were friends of mine & are missed very much.I heard that The arrows that we shot were retired after Franks salute.I would ask everyone that reads this post to think a little bit about there health & to keep up on it.I dont want to come home & read one of these again for a long time.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
There is a picture of the shooters in Franks salute & if memory serves me I was standing next to Charlie Kroll.I would love to have a picture of that moment If anyone has one I would be glad to pay for it + shipping.Thanks

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Rick.....I have picture's of Fred's arrow salute, 7 long bow shooters, 7 recurve shooters and 7 compound shooters, I'll look to see if I have others from Frank & Floyd's salute...If I find them I'll bring them to Compton.....Hink   :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Rick - At Compton, I will bring the bow John used for Floyd's and Frank's 21 Arrow Salutes. I'd like to get a list of everyone who was included in both of those groups of 21 and put it with the bow.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Rick - I wasn't at Frank's salute so can not help you out with any photographs of it.

Like you, I watched every minute of Floyd's Salute and took several dozen photographs.

I know you remember this... When Floyd's son Rich came to the line with the last group, and everyone drew their bows, Rich and one other shooter, I believe it was either Frank Scott or John Grumley, were still at full draw after everyone else shot, then Frank or John shot, and Rich was still at full draw for what seemed like an eternity, after 30 seconds or more, Rich finally shot. Later Rich told me that the hardest thing he ever did was letting loose of that arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©