INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Polar long bow  (Read 448 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Polar long bow
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
A Bear Polar long bow just sold on the bay for a bit over a hundred dollars. From the information that I could find it should be from 1950 to 1952. Since I was born in 1951 I would have liked to have bought it, I just assumed it would go much higher to a serious collector. I just hate it when work demands get in the way of bidding.

I understand that a 1951 bow would have the aluminum lam and should not be shot. I would just be nice to have one from my birth year.

On the other hand if the bow was a 1952 it would appear to have been a potentially good shooter at the price.

The more I learn about Bear bows the more interested I get in collecting at least a few of these pieces of history. Of course the nice 63 Kodiak Special that should be on its way to me later today is a nice start.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Polar long bow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
ttt
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Dave

Looks like the start of a healthy addiction. I to started with one. Woke up one morning with 15! Prices are low right now and the Canadian dollar is high, might just be a good time to get yourself a second one... After buying a few different Bears from different decades, I found the type of bows I personally prefer. I like my 59 and 60 Grizzlys best with the 1956 Kodiak Special close behind. I got the Grizzlys for cheap too since they had to be refinished. I did the job myself, very rewarding.

Post a pic of that 63 KS if you get the chance.

Simon

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Simon, the common theme to my bow buying has more to do with my roughly 30 inch draw length. I have a Ben Pearson Pro Staff 3000 that came from Ontario and a Damon Howatt Ventura that came from Tennessee already. They are both 66 inch bows, the BP is left handed and the DH is right. The KS is also a right hander, just a bit heavier draw weight than the DH. I got good advice early on and am sticking to bows that shoot at around 40 to 45 pounds at my draw length until I feel the need for more.

Fact is until I have a reason to buy something other than 66 inches AMO I am going to stick with that length. I am good for the summer now, but I do think some sort of left handed 66 incher that I can shoot off the shelf is in the cards for the fall.

I was just down to check at the Post Office and my KS was not there. Sure hope it arrives on Monday. You can just never tell how long it is going to take for things to make it through Canada Customs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©