INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: D97 on 1965 Kodiak  (Read 631 times)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
D97 on 1965 Kodiak
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
OK, this will be the last place I post this. I've put it on some of the other forums with mixed results. It was reccommended I try it here.

copy/pasted from the other forums...

I posted over on powpow about wanting to use D97 on my 1965 Kodiak. I have also made some phone calls and have yet to find anyone who has experienced a failure. It's always "I know a guy who knows a guy... but it was a skinny string and he didnt pad the loops". Well, that will hurt any bow. Everyone who has done it properly has had great sucess.

So, I put a 6 strand D97 string on it with an extra 12 strands of B50 in the loops. WOW! This bow has always been my tack driver, but it collects dust because I dont like the feel of dacron, and at 46# it was a little slow. With this string it is amazing. Absolutley no limb tip wobble like many light bows. It out performs most modern customs I've shot, and I can break nocks at 20 yards.

It has three layers of overlay on the tips. They appear to just be glass, same as the handle overlays. I thought about taking the tip overlays down to a flat gluing surface and add some linen phenolic or even bubinga to match the riser. I'm pretty confident to do the work, just not sure if it's even necessary.

I'm also curious about the sudden stop with FF type strings. I sure love that feel, but some people express concern over the older bows ability to handle it.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm sure you can tell I love this bow. I build self bows, do overlays, and have tinkerd with glass. So I'm comfortable with the work and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on works, what doesn't, and how much stress a thing can take. I cant see how this could be bad, but I'm not 100% on it. I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Actual experienced reports would be VERY appreciated.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D97 on 1965 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Well finally someone is doing this for the record.  Yes, everytime it comes up, folks are always talking of a disaster in the making.  I have never witnessed a breakage, however, I have personally seen a D97 on an early 70's Kodiak Hunter that the owner said had been on the bow for years without any bad effect.

Are you using heavy weight arrows?

This will be interesting to follow your test.
Lon Scott

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
No one can give you 100% one way or the other. I have seen pics of bows with broken tips supposedly from FF type strings. Who knows-my attitude has always been if you value the bow why take the chance. If you have several back ups and you just can't resist then OK.
My opinion is go to a 12 strand continuous loop string with tapered loop ends. I just got one for a 1959 Kodiak and it picked things up on that bow.
And it shoots very quiet with no silencers at all.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Well, I was on my way to Compton's this morning and bout an hour north my transmission wasn't shifting,so. Well Bear, I posted on the other post you had, and do believe it's doable! I will state this though, heavy arrows, within reason, padded loops,you know the rest. Back in the early 90's, I built a F.F. string with padded loops, 12 strand for Will McQueen, no relation, of West Viginia for a Bear Bow, never heard of any problems. And I would also say saturate the nock area with a good super glue to seal any minute cracks or such. A flemish style would be my choice, do to the little spring action,might help with the shock unlike a endless style. Have fun, good shootin, and keep us informed, Steve.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Remember what the crazy jumper yelled as he zoomed past the 33nd floor of the Empire State Building:

"So far, so good!"

My hunch is, if you want to make stress cracks try this:
Dry fire, use the lightest arrows and strings, and experiment with supercharging the fps of your old mint Kodiak.

Old Fred used extra strands and shot a 65 pound bow.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Been shooting the Dacron the past couple days. I think it would be fine forever with the D97, and I might switch back at some point. For now I just cant stand the thought of ruining this peice of history (that I shoot well) for more speed.

2016's shoot great with B50, they kick with the D97. I have 2016's. Dont feel like going throught the arrow trial mess again.

If I'm going to experiment, I might try experimenting with contentment.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
All kidding aside, for some reason, like KABOOM!, the new bows for FF are made different.

Sorry about the KABOOM, couldn't stop my fingers on the keyboard.

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
I know a guy that put D97 with padded loops on a older Brackenbury drifter...

I asked why he would do that as it is not a FF compatable bow...

Said he read a post on tradgang that it was safe with padded loops...

2 weeks later it was in the mail to Bill Howland at Brackenbury...

He was able to fix the tip and it now has B50 on it...  :readit:  

Thats what I know and its B50 for me on my older bows...
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
I have used FF material on quite a few older bows with no problems....unless you count the faster, less hand shock, more crisp shot feel as problems. I know lots of selfbow/lambow builders that use FF material as well with no phenolic overlays....as long as the loops are padded very well there usually isnt a problem. But there will always be that one or two bows that are already used/stressed that wont take the extra power. But honestly with all the people I know that have used it I havent had anyone tell me they have personally had it happen. Its always that occasional person who has "Seen" a pic of a bow that was "Supposed" to have FF and thats the reaon it blew, BUT I am not saying it cant happen just trying to show the expeirence I have seen/had with it.

I think if it was a real collectors item I might hesitate to put the FF on it just because. But if its just a Shooter in solid shape I would make up a FF string for it.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. Any other experiences?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic: