3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why would you crown an arrow...  (Read 680 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Why would you crown an arrow...
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
I paid extra money to taper the nock end of an arrow yet tradition says we crown and crest it.  "[dntthnk]"  
 Would not it make sense to leave the paint off that end and put it in the middle of the arrow?
  :p  

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline halsey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why would you crown an arrow...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
no paul. when we crown the rear of the arrow, it is because we are doing it to help us track it in flight. and the rear portion is the most visible to us in flight. and the cresting just is the icing on the cake.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Halsey,
Sure.Bright fletch will help with flight tracking but whats the point of tapering an arrow to fill it back up with paint?

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I agree with you Legolas;  stain the fletching end a light color but no more paint.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
I've done it both ways. I've crowned the end of arrows and I've also left the last 9 inches unstained. I did cover it with polyurethane (profin) It made no real differene other than personal prefence.

I don't believe that the crown dip is thick enough to replace the wood that was lost during the tapering process.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline halsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
right on night hawk. unless your putting an unimaginable amount of fletch lac, like a whole pint on an arrow, your not filling in anything with paint.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
I believe the purpose was to make it your arrow.  It makes it pretty, and it designates the owner, from many steps away.

I also think that, like everythig else human, having something special or flashy is a show of importance or wealth or simply being special, so the more ornate the arrow, the more you look wealthy to me.  

I think that when cresting and cap dipping began, folks weren't too worried about tapering.   I don't personally see my cap dipping while the arrow is in flight, but I can most certainly see the difference between 5" regular fletch and 5.5" high back fletch while in flight, especially white and red or yellow fletch.
ChuckC

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Paul:
When you taper an arrow, say 23/64" down to 5/16" your going from .362 to .312 that's .050, paint will only add .002-.003 to the dia.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Or you could just use dye as a crown.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
I'm with Chuck! Hap

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Why? Because it so cool to see a white crown change to red from your treesstand. Immediately kills all doubt.   :D

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
You should not be able to see the crown colors when the arrow is in flight if it is well tuned. Only thing I see is the nock and the back of the fletching up to its highest point. Crowning is purely aesthetic. I love it cause I like pretty arrows. I would however, think that foregoing the crowning should help a tapered arrow better achieve its purpose.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
I put a single line around my shafts.
It's an instant check on my brace hight.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Mr. Bob Burton of Wispering Arrow,
Crystal clear. Numbers always helps.
Paul

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I'm with Dan...nothing shows red like white!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
White tails on arrows make 'em easier to find in the grass. Does nothing good in snow though. Ease of locating is the only reason I use white on my arrows.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
I doubt that paint would make a noticable difference, and Bob's numbers bear that out.  I use stain for most of my wood arrows anyway, not because I'm worried about the thickness of the paint, but just because I like the way it looks.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Adds a tremendous mount of MO-JO.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Crowning was originally to make cresting more visible and thus allow identification of an arrows owner.

I do it now because, well, it jsut looks entirely too cool not to !
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Jeff:
Actually, crowning was originally done to keep the feathers in place on the arrow shaft. Back when, animal glue was used to fletch arrows, which is not water resistant. So after the arrow was fletched, the shaft was painted with a brush, even the feather quill was painted to protect the glue. I have many arrows in my collection that were made in 20's and earlier that were treated in that manner.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©