3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade thickness sanders  (Read 721 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade thickness sanders
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
   I'd like to get a thickness sander, but can't afford one so I figure I'll make one!  Anyone else try it or have any good plans that have worked for you?  Thanks, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade thickness sanders
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
You have a PM
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
I have seen a few out on the web.  Some are jigs on spindle or belt sanders and some are "from scratch".  I have the same desire, I just bought a bandsaw and am considering what to do next about a lam grinder.  I saw a nice one made by a guitar maker (luthier? sp?) that I found by searching.
I think I am going to get the Rigid spindle/belt sander and make a jig.  That is a well received sander by tool reviewers.

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
I have the Rigid belt/spindle sander and it is awesome, a very well working pice of equipment, just wish I knew how to build a jig for it.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
TTT
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
check out  http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/glass3.htm  one of my favorite sites, packed with a couple great build alongs.  He has a thickness sander jig.  I'd like to find some plans for a wider table top thickness sander.... anyone have any pointers for one of those?

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Just found this one, it looks more like what I wan to do.   http://members.cox.net/elarson5/sander.htm
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
I've had a couple guys ask bout my cheapo lam grinder so heres a few pics........

Built it from my belt/disc sander and some scraps,gonna redo it this winter or buy a different sander and make a jig for it.Adjustment is made with the allthread nuts(mark a flat on the nut to know how many turns)Had to make a relief cut on the bottom of the table for clearance.I'm sure theres some out there a lot better,but this one works good and we threw it together in a couple hours.This is a bow built with lams from it.

Lams aren't really hard to make,just takes a little time.  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Ninja,I like that last one!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Ninja,
That design is similar to the one I found.  I think the one I found would be slightly easier because the motor is used to directly attach to a standard spindle sander drum and does not use a belt or bearings on both sides.

Voodoofire, when I get my jig made I will share the set-up with you.
Kevin

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Here's one you can get plans for that runs off of a tablesaw.

Thickness Sander
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Kenny.  Can that be done with just about any belt sander?  

That's a neat looking machine Benbow.  Any idea how much the materials for that one would run approximately?  

Anyone have jig plans for thickness sanding on a edge/spindle sander or on a drill press?

Thanks for the input so far guys!  Cheers, Matt

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
I would think so Matt.

Galen,that is a slick lookin rig! Does it run by belt?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Yes Kenny. You put a pully on the saw and it runs up the left side in the picture. Plans cost ten bucks but looks like it would work well. You hand crank the table feed but it wouldn't be hard to put a reostat controlled motor on it
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Guys, just bought a Ryobi occillating spindle sander that looks like new and works great for $39.00 at a local pawn shop, the table is much better than on my rigid sander, think I'll use this to build my lam grinder, the 3" rubber drum is gone, though it has all the others, where can I get a 3" drum? or will the 2" work?.. Thanks ,Steve
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Anyone try a router for planning a lam? I was taking a woodworking class at a local community college about 10 years ago. When I told the instructor what I wanted to do, he said that a router would be best. I never followed up on it, but it seems like it would work.
2fletch

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Benbow- any idea how much the materials for that rig would run?  

Steve- could you could fill us in on how you build a jig for your spindle sander you bought? That would be very helpful.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
mmgrode I used to have a pdf file they gave out free that had all the parts listed and material needed. I haven't found it on this computer so will check my backup hard drives and the other computer. If I find it I'll see about posting it somewhere.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
I just found the material list for that sander. I don't have a place online that I can put it on so if you want it you need to e-mail or PM me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©