3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: @#$% Tendonitis  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
@#$% Tendonitis
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Well, I broke down and went to the doc yesterday.  Tendonitis in my bow elbow has gotten so bad I can't hardly get dressed in the morning.  Oddly enough, it never hurts WHILE shooting, but afterwards it hurts crazy bad.  It was keeping me awake at nights.  I knew what he was gonna tell me...no shooting for at least 3 weeks.  Also put me on a tapering dose of steroids.  Took the first dose last night and I could tell some relief today.

Anyone else ever deal with this and how long did it take you to get back to shooting?
Otto

Offline traditional_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: @#$% Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Man, I feel it with You Otto.  I have been fighting the same thing for almost two years now.  I just wear a brace and have dropped down from 73lbs draw weight to 56lbs for practice and 3d.  I have learned to put up with it.  Just comes and goes.  I never know when it will act up.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
I have been dealing with much the same. since my accident My back is just killing me all the time----plus the tendonitis. I actually went to an "alternative medicine" gal---she is a physical therapist too. She hooked me up on some good diet and some basic limbering exercises that have seemed to work out really good for me.

While its painful, remember heat is BAD--ice is the way to make the inflammation go away.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Steve, I had it once, I was shooting one bow I liked a bunch. I put that bow down and in a couple of weeks of taken Advil cleared it up. I still like the bow, just don't shoot it alot.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Symptoms:

no hair, fancy beer, dumps Spartan camping ammenities for fancy new digs, same w/truck, new bow every other month, NOW body is fallin' apart

Diagnosis:

you're OLD!  :p

Hey Dano! next 2 weekends I get to work on bows...make that bow, singular!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Holy cow!!! Say it ain't so buddy.

You might be right about Steve, he's prolly goin thru denial too.  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Darren

I now understand why you've decided not to take up counseling as a career path.

This is KILLIN me.  I have a new JK traditions bow that I can't shoot for 3 weeks.  Billy Dunn will have my Zipper limbs done in a couple of weeks, and My Thunderstick Mag will be here around Christmas.

Good thing I can still use my RIGHT arm for something!!!
Otto

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
I had this problem 20+ years ago. The doctor had me stop shooting for 6 weeks and I also dropped down in poundage in bow weight. I was shooting 64# at the time. I haven't any trouble since.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Otto-I think the "bow gods" are punishing you for having too many new bows.  Give at least 2 away and your elbow will heal right up.  I will take the Kanati-Thanks
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Otto:
Darren

Good thing I can still use my RIGHT arm for something!!!
You sure that's not how you got the tendonitis in the first place?    :biglaugh:
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Funny that this was posted today. Just done "soaking" my elbow in a bucket of ice water for the entire first half of the football game. The cold hurts bad until it all goes numb.
I hurt my right elbow (heard it pop while lifting)20 years ago. I laughed thinking about doing this exact thing 20 years ago when I was 20. LOL  
I have not tried to draw a bow. A few more treatments and rest, then I will get back at it.
Good luck.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Hi Otto, My nickname is Otto so i took doubleo. I've had tendinitis in my forearm and elbow. The only way it's going to go away is to rest it for a couple of weeks. Take it easy.
Otto
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Nake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Get a set of hand grippers and execise your grip.go to  www.ironmind.com  they have all kinds of strength tools for your hands and some books too.work your grip and use contrast baths heat and ice you need blood to flow thru those tendons.a cheap way is to buy a 20 lb bag of rice and put it in a bucket and put your hands in and work your finger grabbing the rice.you can fix this with some work

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
I know a lot of people with tendinitis, my brother as one of them, and hes had a lot of luck taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM. It takes about 6 weeks to start working but I know my brother said he wouldn't be able to do our sport of brazilian jiu jitsu without it. I hope this helps.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
I have similiar trouble with my bow arm elbow.  Broke it playing basketball when I was 17, now I'm 30.  I broke it bad enough they had to pin and wire it.  About 3 yrs ago it started hurting real bad the day after I shot.  I finally bought a Q-Ray bracelet and put it on (a good one, not a knockoff).  Within 2 days, no more elbow pain.  Have been wearing one ever since.  About two weeks ago, I went without it for a day and my elbow started hurting again.  Put it back on and I'm fine.  May not help you but it is worth a try.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
I bought a Powerball and use it about 3 times a week now.
Start off slow and it will do wonders for tendonitis.
Fixed mine in about 3 weeks.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »
Hope you heal up soon man! I know the feeling of not being able to shoot, I sprained my back 2 months ago, and wasn't allowed to shoot for 5 weeks!    :scared:    :knothead:    

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »
The glucosamine chondroitin with MSM is great I would add hyluronic acid, fish oil, or organic coconut oil, magnesium and coral calcium.  Been through this and had a bad case of arthritis in my shoulders and hands.  this is my maintenance package that I use after I did two treatment rounds with vestige care CMO.  All homeopathic and it worked.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
I have chronic tendonitis in my left knee. Not much I can do about it until I qualify for medicare.Except what laddy has stated. I took glucosamine chodroitin for 30 days and WHOA! it really worked!
I'm gonna look into the other supplements he suggests
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
I had it very bad, could not even lift a gallon of milk. I went thru a series of shats and treatments, nothing helped.
 Doctor started me doing some stretching exercises. It worked! Mine went away and has been gone for years.
Exercise for elbow: put your hand palm down on a flat wall, the edge of a table etc. Push so your palm and fingers bend slightly back over your arm towards your elbow. It does not have to be a strain, just put pressure on it, so the muscle in your arm is stretched. I did this several time a day, even while driving on business. I pushed it back against the ceiling of the car or against the side of my chin. After just a few weeks it got better. I still some of the stretching to kepp it from coming back. It has been about 4-5 years since I have had any trouble and I shoot almost every day.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©