INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear's arrows  (Read 932 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear's arrows
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I just love to share all things Fred with my fellow Tradgangbangers so I thought I would post some pics of one of my latest finds.The UPS man must have shown up yesterday after I left for work and brought this little goodie along with some other stuff.It is one of Fred's personal hunting arrows,signed by him.It is the arrow on the top in the photo.The other arrow is also one of Fred's,signed by him that I had.I made the display plaque up awhile ago so I could hang them up in my bowroom or if I decided to set up at an archery show.The top arrow is a Magnum .320 aluminum arrow and the bottom arrow is a Kodiak 411 Supreme fiberglass arrow.Some special personal items from "the man".

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear's arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! Great display. Do people ask about them when they come over?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks John.I only recently hung them up in my bowroom and haven't had too many paople over to see them.They hang above the door to my room so most people probably wouldn't even notice them 'cuz I have so many other arrows around but I look at them every time I leave the room.Just a reminder of ol' Fred.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Just super nice looking display and tribute. I take it for granted about Fred but am always curious what other know or don't know about him. I enjoy trying to fill in a few blanks.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
very cool.  :thumbsup:    :cool:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Sweet  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Wow John, great looking display!

I gotta come and visit to see that stuff in person. I bet you can feel 'it' when you walk into your bowroom.

Bernie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Looks like he switched between right and left wing feathers.  or am I seeing wrong
ChuckC

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I think you're correct Chuck.  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
How long are the arrows?

?????????????

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Nice  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Great display John. Chuck; Bear said in an intervies with Outdoor life many years ago that right or left hand fletch was immaterial to him so long as they were helically fletched.   GY

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Tony - As funny as you are, I'm surprised you don't remember that Fred always made his arrows exactly twice as long as half their length...

John - You should post some photographs of Fred with the arrows in his bow quiver...

1969 Bear Catalog page 8, far left photograph, Fred's arrows are close to your top one, noticeable difference is black cock feather, but same yellow feathers, and same red nock, and white dip...

1969 Bear Catalog inside front cover, cresting on Fred's arrow looks very close to top arrow, but it is a bit out of focus to say it is identical on every fine line.

1968 Bear Catalog, front cover is close too, but black cock feather..

1967-1/2 Bear Catalog, front cover also close to top arrow, but has black cock feather..
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Ron- Thanks for the pic,I didn't think of that one.I've got a couple others I found.
 Tony-The arrows I have measure approx. 28 3/4" from the throat of the nock to the back of the broadhead.
 I noticed too that the arrows had both right and left hand helical.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
Ron - Good find on the photograph of Fred with John's arrow. Sometimes less is better, this cropped portion of your image may not get pulled from this thread...

John - Nice photographs of Fred and the arrows with the moose. You should put these photographs on the plaque behind the arrows, or add the photographs as wings on the plaque. The photographs add so much more than just the engraved label on the plaque.

Hunting photographs are ideal to validate authenticity of an item. In my display at Compton, I'm sure you noticed the photograph of Fred with his 1945 moose and his identical personal arrow in the display that he inscribed with his name and dated 1945. The photograph of Fred with his Fallow Deer and and the arrow he used to kill that deer, is even more interesting because Fred is on tape with that actual arrow in his hand describing the hunt and the arrow.

The more you can add to a display to validate the authenticity of the items, the more interesting the display becomes. Occasionally, it takes a great deal of time to locate all the information to go with the items, but that is the real fun part of collecting, seeking the information.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Great thread with great info. I would aspire someday to have one of Fred's arrows. Lots of mojo in those arrows.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks for cropping that pic Wade, I see it's already gone. I was certain I loaded the right size.    :knothead:  

You are definetly right about this aspect of the sport I enjoy the most, the thrill of the "hunt for history!!"    :archer:  

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Dunn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Cool stuff guys.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
All I can say is wow! thanks for sharing, this is great stuff, more please.
bryce olson

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I have one arrow and two color pages from some magazines of Fred....all signed; I have them displayed in a nice shadow box arrangement.  They were given to the late Sterling Harrell, a friend of Fred's.  Sterling was my neighbor and friend.  I acquired these items and others from Sterling's widow.

I have a number of signed photos as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©