INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: KM ?? restored or original??  (Read 364 times)

Offline the other DWS

• Trad Bowhunter
KM ?? restored or original??
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I have one of the Green/Blue KMs  KU-12137,  thin greenish-wood looking tip overlays that looks almost too good to be true.  It looks near-mint shiney except for some very minor dings and a few patches on the limbs that are duller and less glossy than the rest.

The "silver coin" is a bit pitted looking and the coin and stab bushing have a bit of grime around them that a brush and a bit of cleaner should get off.

I can;t make up my mind if it is really that unused or if it has been very well restored.  Any good way to tell?   Anyone know if BowDoc keeps records and how would I contact him?
sacred cows make better burgers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KM ?? restored or original??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
yes I know how to contact him and yes he records all serial numbers.However there are several folks who refinish bows that do not record the info.I'll try and check my records later this morning.bd

Offline the other DWS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KM ?? restored or original??
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks BD   I figured you'd respond    ;)  .  I seriously doubt It's one you've done, unless it was subsequently abused. It t'wer one of yours I'd assume it'd be better than new. The only thing that makes me wonder about it is the matt areas on the forward face of the lower limb.  Its right where you'd expect to see stress lines---  but there are no lines--and no matt areas on the upper limb.

Any tips in general for spotting a restoration?

Fortunately I didn't pay a collector price for  a 90% mint bow--though it looks close to that.   The vendor I got it from 5 or 6 years ago at Compton's thought it might be a clean origninal or might be a resto--but wasn't sure.  So we agreed on a price that made us both happy.

I know you've done a lot of rebuilding.   I'm wondering if its possible to rebuild the green wood limb tip overlays to handle the thinner more modern strings
sacred cows make better burgers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©