INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Coin Patina  (Read 503 times)

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Coin Patina
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Chris Browning sent me these, Thanks Chris!

More info in part 2

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coin Patina
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Kurt that coin looks to have some age on it now! I did use your idea on rubbing with the coin and it worked out fairly well. Glad you liked it!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Now Chris what is a good Texas boy doing with all the mustard laying around? I hope not putting it on fajitas!! Nice job on the coin my friend. John
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Kurt - Is there any easy way to tell an original copper coin from one of your reproductions? With a naked eye, they sure look the same to me.

You are trying to make your new coins look older. Now, my problem is the opposite...

I'm tying to make my old coins look newer (the anti-dried-mustard look). Any suggestions?

Just organized part of my accumulation of coins into a temporary display of one each of each type. If anyone has one of those 1970-1972 Nickle Silver coins to trade, I have several old original coins for trade... Guess "Raised" would be a better word than "Rounded", must change that.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Thank you Wade
I think the original's should be more of a yellow tint than the reddish tint the repro's are.

I use Brasso or Moms for polish and like the outcome.

Kurt

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Wade, is the '82 Signature larger than the original coins?.................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Hmmm....kinda makin' me think I'll cut waaaay back on the mustard consumption!!   :eek: .  Much like my Grandpa did to me with Coca-Cola when I was a young kid by dropping a bunch of rusted bolts and nuts into a can of it to "eat" the rust off!    :scared:  

When I saw how WELL that worked I pretty much became a rare kid that preferred water over soda every time!! Still won't drink soda to this day!   "[dntthnk]"  

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Kurt - Besides color are there any differences between your reproductions and the original copper coins?

Shick - Good eye ! Yes, the '82 Signature is a little larger than the original metal coins.

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Wade I use some stuff that works really well to clean up old coins. It is made by Eagle One Nevr-Dull "Original" Wadding Polish. It has cotton wadding with what ever they put on it and you can rub as much as you want off to a pretty nice luster. You can find it at most automotive stores... The coin I recently reworked in my 59 KS I refinished I only intended to polish the rasied portions of the coin you can see I bump into the back ground a little here and there.

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcar315:
Now Chris what is a good Texas boy doing with all the mustard laying around? I hope not putting it on fajitas!! Nice job on the coin my friend. John
John, the doctor told me to lay -off the Mayo and stick with Mustard to maintain my cholestrol levels. I guess it eats that stuff up too! LOL... Actually it was a mad science experiment that didn't turn out half bad... I'll have to confess I did ask a friend if he had any idea's and he say to try it... He was right I guess.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Chris -

Watch out for that Mustard Gas steaming up off of those coins.

My grandfather (1898-1978) was in WWI, and told me how bad Mustard Gas was back then.

;)

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Wade for the heads-up... if it gets too bad I might have to take my projects "Outside" for a breath of fresh air...  :)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Pass the Poupon please..........here's one I did using a torch

I think it was this one.........wait! Maybe that's original, and it was another one  :confused:

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Wade, I got a 71-72 grizzly with coin I might trade for something. It is probably a little nice just to rip the coin out of though.   :biglaugh:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Mickey - Thanks for the offer to trade the Grizzly. Unfortunately, I have way too many bows around here already. I should be getting rid of some of these bows not getting started collecting grizzly recurves too.

If the coin just happens to fall out and is the raised bear of nickle/silver (not brass or aluminum), let me know.

I've actually had a couple of coins accidentally fall out bows for me, when I wasn't even trying to take them out. One just fell out when I picked up the bow after not handling it for several months, the other fell out when I dropped the bow on the floor.

Seems like when I try to remove a coin from a bow to send it off for refinish, about half the time I have had a heck of a time getting the coin out even though I try everyone's method of removal.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
O Yes Wade you never know when those coins will fall out...  :saywhat:  .... Or Wade I am good at talking on the phone and having other people coins fall out of there bows....LOL....

But I like docs way of takeing them out...

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©