INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Bow Collectors' Tomato Stakes  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
The Bow Collectors' Tomato Stakes
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Many of the old mass produced, machine made, low end, inexpensive, common lemonwood or hickory longbows from the 30s, 40s and 50s are not really collectible bows.

However, these old longbows make ideal tomato stakes. Using a rubber mallet, the tapered limbs are easily pounded into the ground. In the fall the tapered limbs are easy to pull out of the ground. Being outside and partially in the ground only 3 or 4 months, they can last for decades. An occasional coat of any type of normal finish will extend their life. I have several tomato stakes that have been in use for years.

Many of these old tomato stakes are acquired by collectors in groups of old bows and are usually included for almost nothing with more desirable bows. They can also frequently be purchased at garage sales and flea markets for less than the price of a cup of coffee. They are generally much less expensive than any type of tomato stakes or tomato stands available at a local nursery .

Some old longbows are historically significant, rare and very valuable, so be certain that you know the scarcity and desirability of any old longbow before using it for a tomato stake.

We sure don't to see any Grumley longbows being used to hold up your tomato plants...

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Bow Collectors' Tomato Stakes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
They also make pretty good "bank poles".  I only use the real heavyweights, because I like to catch big fish.

Wade, looks like you need to tie those tonmatoes up with some old Bear endless loops.  You said you had more than you needed.  If you use some of them up, you'll have a reason to make more.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Nice Wade to damn funny.... Wade any time I get a old wood bow I will just send them to you for you to use as tomato stakes..
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :)
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Wade,I need your address.Kibbe arrows are boxed & ready to ship.Hope you like them.....Hink I will have yours in Marion.Are you sitting up a display.I'll be there Sat all day...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Ok Phillips you've gone over the edge.That crosses the line for old bow use.Trouble with using them at my place everytime someone stopped by they would steal one of my tomato stakes on their way out the door.I love it.bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Trap - Hadn't thought of using those old longbows as bank lines - that's a great idea. The ones with really wide limbs might work best for quickly wrapping the line around the limbs. I will have to dig out that storage tub of old bow strings to use to keep tying up those tomato plants.

Cody - Don't send me anymore tomato stakes. I already have more than enough.

Rick - Sent you a PM with my mailing address. Thanks so much.

Doc - Our back yard has a 6 foot privacy fence and both gates are locked at all times. Anyone stealing tomato stakes would have to walk through the house with their prize... You are correct. If left unsecured, with easy access out in the open, I'm sure those tomato stakes might quickly disappear...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
great idea that fence would help for sure...bd

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Hey Rick,  I'll make it over there sat. afternoon, but not setting up a display. There is an estate auction at 10am 2hr. north of there. I'll have to leave at 4am to get there.I might have the motorhome because I have to stop by Vestaburg, Mi.on the way home and do a interview for a broadhead called the S&B (L&B)take pictures of the dies etc. So I may do that on Sun.
Are you setting up your tent that day?

Hink...     :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Why put'em away after the tomato harvest? Nothing better than an old lemonwood boot scraper wedged on your doorstop.

Maybe not.

You did get me thinking about using compound bow pulleys to make a neat clothesline ....

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Oh yes, winter sports
How about cut down for ice fishing tip ups?
Screwed together into cross country skis, ski poles too.

By the way Wade your TG mailbox is full, couldnt thank you for the help. Better delete a few.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
No,I'm going to just shoot & have fun.Where did you say that estate sale was.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Wade,There on the way.Hope you like them.The blue green crested arrow belonged to an employee of Wolverine,Byerl Bayliff.The Pink crested arrow was made for Byerls Wife Kathrine.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »
Rick.....PM sent..Hink..  :archer:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Picked some tomatoes today... those stakes are working great...

Tony -

Can you guess which of these had a lemonwood tomato stake and which had osage?

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Wade BLT'S SOUNDS GOOD ABOUT NOW. IF YOU GET ENOUGH TOMATO'S You could sell some down at the OLD MARKET for some extra bow money.LOL Talk to you later.Frank
Frank

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Wade, that's funny. But almost made me wimper. I buy them and rework the whole bow into a newer bow. Lemonwood is hard to come by now. I use all my bows I break on the Tiller tree for bean poles and 'mater stakes.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
mullet - I truly appreciate what you said in your post and thank you so much for bringing a sense of reality to what has long been accepted as a collector's perspective among old collector friends of mine.

I am not a bowyer but have great admiration for those who are. I also understand that lemonwood is hard to come by today so can empathize with you or anyone who is saddened by old lemonwood bows not being reworked as bow wood.

Have often thought of the possibility of reworking these old bows into new bows as you have done, but not being a bowyer, these have only been thoughts. Quite frankly, I did not realize that anyone was actually re-working these old lemonwood bows. There is much for all of us to learn on these threads.

When you find an old lemonwood bow that has taken a lot of set, do you attempt to take the set out? If so, what method do you use, heat gun, steam, boiling, etc? Do you ever back any of these lemonwood bows to increase the draw weight?

Do you rework old self bows made of other woods such as osage or hickory?

Have always thought it unusual that perhaps the greatest 1800s English-born-immigrated-to-America bowman/bowyer of all time, James Duff, considered lemonwood the ideal bow wood.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Wade, I've been making bows for about 15 years. One of the first bows I reworked was an old Stemmler Lemonwood bow that the backing was missing. I bought it for $5 and then steamed the set out of it with a little deflex put in and then sinew backed it. It was a sweet shooter I gave to my son.

I have one almost Identical to it that was given to me that I'm going to steam in some static tips and bamboo back it. Bamboo is a great improvement over the old lam's.

I have a three of the old English style sporting long bows that I have refinished. One is 74"long with antler tips, shoots#45 and feels like it is pulling #20.

To me, they are good practice bows for experimenting. I don't buy a bow to hang on the wall. If it breaks, then I'll glue it together and then hang it on the wall.

If nothing else, I can get enough wood out of one to build the grandchildren or neighbor kids a bow.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
I also rework old bows.. I have three I am working on now.. I will post photo later...

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©