INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Bow Collectors' Tomato Stakes  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Bow Collectors' Tomato Stakes
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Hickory suitable for bows is very difficult to get here in AK, an Osage log cost more than a custom bow due to shipping and I have never even seen lemon wood! Your photo, with all do respect, made me want to puke! Literally an immediate visceral desire to hurl! As an artisan and new bowyer I feel a great sadness for those bows even if they were mass produced. Next time you acquire a "worthless bow" in a group of "valuable ones" send me a PM! If I can I'll pay the shipping and reimburse you for the bow. I cant stand to see an old bow that could be reworked or refinished die from lack of appreciation.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Rick - I am sorry to hear that you are upset. What I neglected to say in my original post was that the bows I use for Tomato stakes are ones that do not consider shootable any longer.

After mullet submitted his second post, describing how he reworked these old lemonwood bows, I pulled one off the rack, strung it up, partially drew it a few times then put it on the tiller tree. After 15 minutes of fiddling with it, and at about 25 inches.... BANG... It is now a 6-piece take down.

I broke that bow last week and the following day mentioned the incident to a Trad Gang sponsor who remarked, "Those old lemonwood bows always seem to break".

I'm not a bowyer but last month began a project to remake some of Nels Grumley's old bows. With a number of Grumley bows here to use as models, it is a project that I had been thinking of for years.

You are correct, bow wood is expensive. With lots of old non-collectible bows here right under my nose, I'm going to try to rework others until I get one that doesn't break for me.  

After re-reading mullet's second post, I see that I missed the fact that he is backing these old lemonwood bows. The next one I try, I will back before putting it on the tiller tree.

Hopefully your stomach is less upset and you have less desire to hurt, now that you know more of the story...

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks Wade. I am just very passionate about bows and other forms of art. I think you'll find backing can help alot of marginal bows find a new life.

Sorry if I was a bit over the top.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
Wade, A lot of those bows have dried and also thewood needs retraining. I am shooting an old lemon wood longbow.  Before I pulled it to a full draw, i strung it and let it sit for a few hours, then unstrung it. Then the next day I strung it and puled it at half draw a few times and unstrung it and let it rest again, after all, it's an old girl that hasn't been loved in awhile. I repeated this, increasing the draw length for a few days and leaving it strung for a longer period of time. It shot good, and I've shot a couple of 3-D shoots of 40 targets a couple of times with it.
  RickP, hit those yard sales and Flea Markets.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Mullet

Not that many finds up here but I keep my eyes open.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©