INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear-ied Treasure *New Addition to the Treasure pg 9!!!*  (Read 6842 times)

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear-ied Treasure *New Addition to the Treasure pg 9!!!*
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
Grant   It seems to be 27" from tip to tip of the "fadeouts", I think thats the term Wade used once, of the riser. Dead in the hand and quiet even with no silencers is a great description of how it shot. It's one of my favorites for sure!

Wade   I thought the same thing about the way the grain moves perfectely with the riser. What a amazing piece of wood for that particular bow. Mr. Stewart was truely a master woodworker/bowyer.

This next bow seems to be a Kodiak Special to me. The physical characteristics seem to fit in around 1963. Please add any thoughts you may have to help with it's description .

1963? Kodiak Special? 69" 41#  NO. 8C  Rosewood?
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
Truly awesome stuff. I haven't been on much lately, as I've started a new job and I'm working evenings. I've got to chime in on the 64 prototype. I'm dubbing it the "Coaster Kodiak" because of the roller coaster shape of the back of the bow. I agree fully with Wade that it attempts to maintain the dogleg setback with glass encompassing the back of the bow. Not very appealing to the eye in my estimation, but I bet it's a great shooting bow with "good manners". CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
I think I understand why the production 64 was so Spartan in design. With all of the time spent experimenting with basic design that evolved from the dogleg, the guys at Bear had no time to fiddle with stripes in the riser. And then they went to work so the 64s limb angle was altered to the less "thunking" 65 and 66.

Back in the day, the designers were awesome - no computer design - all was pure human ingenuity and inspiration.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Greg - Another super cool bow.

NO. 8C, 69", 41# is a Kodiak Special, no doubt in my mind. I'm calling that one "Old No. 8". Nice Brazilian rosewood. That reverse accent stripe really adds a lot to its character as an experimental bow. I'm glad the production 63 KS has the stripes where they are.

Below "Old No. 8" you have pictured a very handsome standard production model 1963 Kodiak Special with some exceptionally grained bubinga. I have a nice 1963 KS, but yours is stunning. Certainly the nicest bubinga in a 63 KS that I can remember seeing.

CKruse - "Coaster Kodiak" is a catchy name. Speaking of names..

"Hump Back" is the name I came up to describe the rounded horns on the back of a bow. In the case of the "Coaster Kodiak", it would be a "Double Hump Back". In the case of "Old No. 8" it would have a single "Hump Back".

If you put a 1961 Kodiak Special next to "Old No. 8", you might see some similarities, glass on back extends to shelf, grip is angled back, overlay configuration on the riser. Guess there are a couple of 62 KS features, the Brazilian rosewood riser and tips are more pointed.

I'd guess "Old No. 8" is one of the earliest designs to transform the basic 61 design into what became the 1963.

I have always thought that the 1962 Kodiak Special design was the odd duck in the Specials. When you look at the 1961 to 1967 Kodiak Specials, the 62 just doesn't fit in. The 62 riser is much smaller than either the 61 or the 63. When they started working on the 63 KS design they tossed the 62 KS aside went back to the 61 to improve it.

"Old No. 8" pretty much proves that I'm not just another one of those eccentric cranks with a crazy "Anti-1962 Kodiak Special Conspiracy Theory"       :rolleyes:
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
It's too bad you live so far away from us on the east coast as these would be wonderful to see in person at the big shoots like ETAR as a display.

TonyW, interesting theory on the '64,'65, '66 bows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
What an Amazing find!!!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
great thread.. and even GREATER find..OMG what a treasure trove of history you have..I am sure this thread makes most   :p  with envy..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Greg- you're killin' me! Again, congratulations on acquiring this batch; I hope circumstances never cause it to be broken up- what a set! That oddball exp. '64 has been on my mind since you posted it. Gawd- I'd love to shoot it. Thanks again for sharing,   Grant

Offline Chuck Wyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Sticknstring,

If you feel the need to ever give that little green Kodiak Magnum a good home, I guarantee it would not leave my house until I drew my last breath.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -Mark Twain

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Hey Guys, Family reunion weekend was real busy, haven't had any time too get back and finish posting the last ones.

KCruse  "Coaster Kodiak" or Wades "Humpback Kodiak" both are very fitting. And "good manners" is a great description of how it does deliver an arrow.

Brandon   There are a few more too come. I need to come up with a name for a EXP Wing thread.

Keeping the bows together has been my goal from the first and I also hope that the nickname "The Unknown Bowyer" will soon no longer fit Bill Stewart.

Wade   The reverse accent stripe on "Old #8" is very unique and the Bubinga has almost a flourescent appearance. The 63 production Kodiak Special was one of Bills too. I wonder if he built it or just saw that piece of wood coming off the line and had to have it with that Bubinga on fire look.

Somewhere I have a picture of the 69" 1961 Special, Old #8 and the production 1963 all together. I think your right on, you can really see the transformation when they are side by side.

Reddogge  I wish we weren't so spread out too. Before they were put away for safe keeping I invited a couple of the close guys to see them, but didn't get any takers. The first time that they might be displayed as whole collection would be at the 2010 TAO(Traditional Archers of Oregon) banquet. I really hope that everyone here and many others will get to see them in person some day. If they can look good in this set of shiny background pictures, just wait until you see them in person. It will be interesting to see what happens... a few different people have come up with some ideas on where the collection would best be presented or shown. It may be a tough decision.

Grant  HaHa! I sure hope it doesn't kill anyone... but I am glad to pass along the pain involved in being haunted by one or all of them.
 BTW -  It was soooo smooth and quiet with a 550 grain arrow I couldn't believe it!

Chuck  I hope the 46" EXP will stay side by side with it's 48" counterpart. I can really appreciate your passion for that unique little beauty. I wonder if a good nickname will come up for it too?

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Early 198? B Handle EXP?
No serial number, no bushings, gold button, no plastic clips on latches.

Does this one belong in the EXP line-up?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Is that green glass I am seeing on that "Greenie TD"? Or is it just this screen?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Wade   Here's a color check for that screen.

Forest green Bearglas on one side and black on the other side.      

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
This one is last because it didn't come with the others. I've been wondering who remembered the xbay listing for it last december. Ya Bill, I'm the "some guy with a feedback of 6." hehe

Sorry Jim, I know you said you wanted it, But I had to try for it for the EXP collection. I still can't believe I got it for that price!

Alot of things came up in Simons thread posted in early december..."hacked off tips, faked writing, lots of different great input like, "So I would rather see one of my TG buddys kick that SOB's ass and win the bow. Then we all get to look at the bow and talk about it on here. If John Doe keeps winning them all, we will never get those bows again in our lifetimes."  Here's a link in case you want to check it out.  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=001614#000000  

Sooooo Doc, how about that 67??? Did it have a serial number or what? Did it say EXP? Did you ever find more pics of it? How did you get it? What was his shop like?

And who's the Larry you mentioned owning this bow? All I could find out was the seller was a pawn shop in Oklahoma, he said he got it from a guy in Hawaii.

1967 or 68 EXP Grizzly 56" 40#
Bubinga with Tawny glass

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
I thought I'd better add the line-up picture here too.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
To the top....just for the doc. I keep thinking about how ya said you wanted to see some Stewart/Bears and thought maybe you missed the thread...........?LOL

Also wanted too let you west coast guys know the collection will be on display at the TAO banquet being held in December in Silverton Oregon.  Greg

Offline Brad Robins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
....and you bought my ticket to the banquet already I am presuming?

Brad  :thumbsup:
TEAM HEBO

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey guys... I thought I'd give heads up to anyone who might want to see this collection of "one of a kinds" in person. The first time it will ever be on display is going to be January 30 at the Traditional Archers of Oregon annual banquet in Silverton, Oregon.   Most of the bows from this thread and the Stewarts Wings thread will be there. It should be a great time...

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Cool cause I am going to be there...
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Cool I have some of that collection also but nothing as cool as your bow pictured. I wish i knew the story how they got split up into 2 or 3 sections. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©