INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear-ied Treasure *New Addition to the Treasure pg 9!!!*  (Read 6838 times)

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear-ied Treasure *New Addition to the Treasure pg 9!!!*
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Never saw this thread. To say it's impressive is a huge understatement ! Thanks for bringing it back.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Thought I would add a couple more pics to this thread since the bows in them appear to be from the same era and possibly made under the direction of Mr. Bill Stewart.Notice the serial number of the '65 or '66 prototype Kodiak in my photo to the one with the two Tamerlanes on the previous page  showing their serial numbers.Very close to the one on the left,only two numbers off.
 And then I noticed on the 55# 1965 Kodiak shown with it also has the Roman numeral II after the serial number,very similar to the '66 Kodiak with the brown overlay on the riser.Wonder what the II means.I don't believe I have ever had this on any other bows in my collection.

Here are both bows together.Some very figured wood grain in the production '65 Kodiak on the bottom in this photo:

Here the production '65 Kodiak is on the top:

Here's one showing the glass color,same as a standard '65 Kodiak,Olive Gray which is really more of a green color:

Man those R & D gurus were hard at work during those glorious days in the 60's.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Nice bow John.  :)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks Norm.All it needs is some good company!
 Wink,wink.  :bigsmyl:

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
John, what color glass does the '66 prototype have? I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
OldSkool(Nick)- The glass on the prototype is the same color as found on the '65 Kodiak,what Bear calls in their '65 catalog Olive Gray.Really more of a green color to me.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Gotcha. I couldn't quite tell. Thanks.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
That is so cool John.
I thought the glass looked green. I was gonna ask the same question as Nick.

You have some dandy bows my friend!

...........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I added another picture with the others showing the glass color.As you can see it looks just like a '65 Kodiak in color.
Thanks Phil.I'm really loving seeing all these oddball,prototype,one-of-a-kind,etc... Bear bows popping up lately.It must have been a great time to be working in the R & D Dept. at Bear during those years.So many talented people.Bill Stewart,Owen Jeffrey.No wonder the Grayling bows are so sought after.
 By the way,that all black phenolic bow you just got back from Bowdoc would fit right in with my oddball bows.You need my address?I'll pay shipping of course!   :biglaugh:

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
ttt

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
up

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Back ttt had to get my bear bow love fix for the month! Got two kmags on my way for my first set of bears!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Love this thread ever since it was first posted here back in 2009.Such a great collection of Bear Archery history while Bill Stewart was employed there.Ever since I first saw these one of a kind,EXP,proto-type,whatever you want to call them bows,I have been intrigued beyond imagination.Such a great time to be working at Bear.Since I first saw this thread that was so generously shared by Greg,I have come across several bows from this same period.One I recently acquired thanks to some help from some friends is this Kodiak Hunter from what I would guess is a 1966-67 era Bill Stewart design.If you look at page 6 of this thread you can see where this bow fits in perfectly.Even has the same serial number of .011 as one other in the series.58",no coin,brown glass and same contoured riser as two of the three Kodiak Hunter's shown..I have it pictured with a production made Kodiak Hunter from 1967 1/2 that Fred signed to his good friend Basil Hughes for comparison.Just thought this bow should be added to this thread as it fits so perfectly.Interestingly enough it came from a private owner from northern Michigan and didn't make it out west with the others.Thankful it survived either way.Added a period correct N.O.S. leather side plate and Bear-hair rug rest.
 Will try to post some other photos of some other Bill Stewart era bows when possible.Enjoy!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
While I'm downloading pics to Photobucket I might as well add this bow to this thread too as I believe it belongs here.I may have posted pics of this bow here on Tradgang before and if so,sorry for the repeat.This is another 1966-67 era Bear bow that I believe Bill Stewart had something to do with.I also have a Tamerlane from this same time period with the same wood and brown fiberglass as this little gem.I have also pictured this bow with a production model 1966 Super 48 for comparison.Which do you like better?

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Sweet bows John.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks Norm.They are different,that's for sure.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Could always count on you John to find and share some great historical bows!

Very nice
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Nice John
Always appreciate your very positive and historical perspective on some cool Bear history!   :)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks Phil and Larry.Can't take credit for finding either of these cool bows.A good friend spotted both of them and turned me on to them and for that I am thankful.Like that all black beauty I got from you Phil with the brown glass,so much was going on at Bear during that time.
 Was just told from a former Bear employee,they would experiment with different glass colors to see what worked.If someone working there liked a particular bow then it would go home with them.Common to not put a serial number on a bow if they were experimenting on it.Must be how these two got away from the pack.Glad they're back home.I need to post pics of that black beauty here too.
  I described the grip on that Kodiak Hunter to my friend and he said that was typical of Bill Stewart to make those large,high wrist grips.When Owen Jeffrey started working there,they became more streamlined and comfortable like the production Kodiak Hunter shown.The 011 K' Hunter grip feels awful in my hand.Can hardly get my hand in there.Not comfortable to me at all compared to the other one.But great history for sure.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »

Hi John
This is a 66 HC30 that I had always though must have been a custom order with the high wristed huge palm swell. After reading what you have above, I'm thinking this may have been another one of Mr Stewart's creations!!!
Maybe,,,, Perhaps???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©