3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado elk  (Read 645 times)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Colorado elk
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Going out west for first time elk hunting.After seeing picks from you trad guys.Leatherneck myself and little b, I have been told to go the last week of bow season,any thing we should know would be appreshatted.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado elk
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Oh boy, you are going to have the time of your life!  Read, read, and then read some more.  Do a search here using elk in the search box and there should be a bunch of good threads that pop up.  Lots of planning to do between now and then.  Three quick tips to get you on the right track:

Do as much research as you can to find a way to get away from hunting pressure - especially ATV's.  Backpack, drop camp, or private land are all options.

Do a search for Elknut and buy his videos.  They aren't shoot em up entertainment, but they are loaded with great info on how to hunt and call.

Most important of all, and most commonly ignored by first timers - GET IN SHAPE!!!!  Failure to do that can make the hunt anywhere from grueling to unbearable.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
We already have an area to hunt and base camp area,Thanks to some frends,They have had great luck for many years in this area and hardly ever see another hunter all week.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Yep, Whip's got it right.  Getting harder and harder to get away from people out there.  Try to locate a place that is hard to get to and has water, and you will usually find elk.  It doesn't matter how good of shape your in when you leave home, you are going to be sucking eggs the first few days.  Get in shape, get in shape, get in shape!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
We were told to take asprin before we get thier to stop alt sickness does that work.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
Good luck! Hope you get one!   :bigsmyl:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
Longbowben,
            In addition to what Whip said,If you can, go a couple of days ahead of the hunt and get your body aclimated. Also the climate can be very dry. Take some lip balm. You'll thank me later. Get a biggun, Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Hunting elk is the most fun you can have with your clothes on IF you are in shape. It can't be emphasized enough. The altitude will be a factor, so if you can acclimate prior to the hunt it will help. Never heard about aspirin for altitude sickness, but some Alleve or similar pill might help for the inevitable sore muscles. Elk live in some great country; that alone is worth your trip. And there is no place better than the high country when the elk are bugling. Have a blast!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
We cant wait i told my wife last night got the usual look.We are going for 11 days, lip balm , and get in shape.I is THAT correct about the end of the season they said you get more bulging .what calls are best to buy?
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Been there done that! Everyone is correct, get in shape as good as you can get. Also, stay hydrated, it will help with the altitude problems. Take lots of pictures and have fun.

Jon

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Lots of bulls are getting pretty savvy to bugling. It depends on where you are hunting; if you are away from the crowds, they generally are more suseptible to bugling. Some areas you will bugle up more hunters than elk. Diaphram calls work well, because you can bugle and cow talk with them, but they take a bit of practice for most people.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
I cant use diaphram calls i gag.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
You are going to have the time of your life!  I concur with everyone's 'get in shape' advise.  Leg strength and lung capacity are critical for us flatlanders out there.  You will still be sucking air regardless.  Go to the elk forum threads, you'll learn a huge amount there.  Hydrate until your pee is almost clear.  The guide I hunted with this year bugled only to locate bulls then switched to cow calls.  He had a variety of Will Carleton's calls.  The next ten months of 'learning' are going to get you so geeked you won't be able to stand it.  That's part of the joy of elk hunting.

Howard.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Longbowben,

The first mistake new elk hunters make is bugling and cow calling too much.  Play it conservatively and you'll do fine.  Since you have an aversion to the diaphram I would recommend either a Hoochie Mama or Sceery cow call.  Personally...I use the Sceery.

As far as apirin curing altitude sickness...NOT!  In severe cases the only remedy is to go back down the mountain to a lower altitude.

Be prepared for rain, sleet, snow, cold, hot, dry and whatever else nature can through at ya.  

Lastly....elk hunting is hour upon hour of grueling hard work and boredum punctuated by a few seconds of sheer terror  :eek:   And this is the reward.....

Have a great time!!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Get those legs in shape. I like to find a football stadium that has the flat bench type seats and make as many trips up and down while stepping over each bench. Once you get into the blowdowns you'll be happy you did this.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for info love those picks of out west.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
I got altitude sickness real bad last year.  I had been up to 11-12,000 feet many times but we always came down and camped around 9000.  Hunted a new area this year with a friend only to learn when we arrived we were camped at 11,750 feet.  Didn't bother me too much the first day but come the second I was a sick sucker.  I had chest pains, nausea, severe headache, and finally vomiting.  If you are concerned about it I would visit with your doctor about a prescription.  I think it is called Diamox.  Wilderness athlete also makes a pill called Altitude Advantage.  I will be on one or the other next trip out.  Nothing more exciting than being in a bunch of bugling bulls(even if you're sick)!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
My bother-in-law from Michigan said he does stadium stairs back there to get in shape for Colorado hunting.....with a plastic bag over his head.  lol
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Butts2 i will let the other guys try that one.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Get quads in great shape, DRINK WATER and nothing but water, go two days early, DRINK WATER, walk around town in order to get your altitude headache so you can hurry and get over your headache, DRINK WATER, kill a good bull and don't take one second of your privileged adventure for granted.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©