INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1960 Bear Bow Question??  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
1960 Bear Bow Question??
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
I am not a collector of vintage bows and know only that there are several Bear models.  I would like to have a Bear bow from my birth year.  Could you give some input as to the pluses and minuses of the models and maybe point me in the general direction of a model that I would like?  Thanks for all of your advice!!!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1960 Bear Bow Question??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
The first one that comes to me would be the mighty 1960 Bear Kodiak.They are one of the better shooters but also one of the more pricie too.bd

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
I found a 1960 Kodiak a couple years ago and have to agree with the doctor that they are one of the better shooters (maybe best) of that era.  For some reason, they are tough to find.

Even the '61 is rare it seems, but the '60 looks bettr and shoots better.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
For a number of years, the 1960 Kodiaks have been my favorite bows for shooting and hunting. I have a number of them, and like all model bows, not all 1960 Kodiaks were created equal.

Some 1960 Kodiaks have a narrower grip, similar to most 1959 Kodiaks. Most 60 Kodiaks have a fat grip, which I don't like for carrying in the field all day on hunting trips. Some guys like the fat grip.

Some 60 Kodiaks have narrower limbs which I like the best, others have a wider limb.

The 60 Kodiak was available in 56", 60" and 64". I shoot mostly 60", but have a 56", 50# that is a great shooting little bow and makes a nice bow for hunting from a blind.

The 1960 Kodiak Special is another great shooting bow but a little heavier physical weight than the Kodiak. The Special has a great looking riser with a crescent inset, but the gray glass back and white glass belly may not have as much eye appeal to some as the classic brown and orange glass that was used on the 60 Kodiak. If you want a longer bow, the Special may be a good choice for you, as it was also made in 66", 68" and 70".

Most 60 Kodiak Specials will sell for much less than a 60 Kodiak.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Wade, is there a pattern to the serial numbering of the 60's which differentiate the limb and grip sizes?  

Also, any photos that show these two differences?

Mine is a 49#, 60".  

Another aspect of the '60 that is appealing to me are those beautiful tips!
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Lon - I have not really tried to document the serial numbers of the 1960 Kodiaks in relation to the limb and grip sizes. The 60 serial numbers can be very confusing for me.

As you may already know the 1960 serial numbers can be a continuation of the 1959 serial numbers for each of their respective lengths, such as BJ450, the B representing the 60" Kodiak in 1959, the J being the sequential letter of the series (with A being the first), and 450 being the three numbers within the sequential series, that generally were numbered from 001-999.

Or they can be one of many different combinations of numbers and letters, that I have never been able to decode... such as...

23S15
1-P-40
22L79
RR866
29N117

If anyone knows what these numbers and letters represent on 1960 Kodiaks, please enlighten those of us who are still in the dark...

Later today, will try to get some photographs showing the differences you wanted to see.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
There is also the Kodiak Special Deluxe with clear glass made in 1960 only. IMO the most beautiful bow Bear has ever made.

Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Simon - Yes, how could we forget, the Kodiak Special Deluxe and the Kodiak Deluxe....

The two finest of the year...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Simon - Papa may have to see a comparison to help with his selection...

Bear's 1960 All Star Lineup... All great looking. All great shooting.

Take your pick, left to right...

Kodiak Deluxe, clear glass over zebrawood veneer
Kodiak Special, gray glass back, white glass belly
Kodiak, brown glass back, orange glass belly, shown with butcher block sight window, rare in this model
Kodiak Special Deluxe, clear glass over zebrawood veneer

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks wade.

I have one of those SKDs in 66 inch and 40#. Minimal stress and no milk. What a looker.

50 years young next year... Happy birthday in advance Papa  ;)

Simon

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Wow!!  There is a lot to learn when it comes to a Bear bow.  How do you identify the year on the bow and how do you know which model that you are looking at?  Is the model written on the bow somewhere?  Thanks for all of the great information!!

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Yes, so much to learn. The fun is that there is always some more to learn.

Basically, Bear bows kept on changing their models from year to year. Sometimes it’s just a detail (tips, wood type, glass color). Other changes are obvious since the whole profile changed drastically. The coins changed also but it is a well accepted fact that you can’t date a bow by the coin alone. From 1964 till 1969, the first number of the serial number was the year number. But a serial number starting with, for example, 6 does not always mean it’s a 1966 bow.

And, 1953, printed on the lower limb is not the fabrication date as so many state on their B-Bay item description. It’s a patent date. Same thing goes for «Canada» All Bear bows were built in the US.

here are a few pages and sites that got me started

http://www.fredbear-online.com/  
go to the site map and find «Bear Archery Bow Identifier»

http://www.neoreality.com/archery/goodole.htm  

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/Collector/beararchery/  

And, of course, TradGangs Trad history/collecting threads is the best place to learn and nourish the addiction.

Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Lon,

Sorry, yesterday I forgot about getting the 60 Kodiak photographs you asked about..

Your 1960 Kodiak is 60" and 49#, so have selected only 60" 1960 Kodiaks for your comparison...

3rd from right is 50# and has narrowest limbs and tips
2nd from right is 48# and has widest limbs and tips
3rd from left is 48# with tips sort of in between the limb and tip width of the two mentioned above

There will frequently be variations in limb width based on lamination thicknesses and finishing.

Remember, the camera lens distorts the image and prevents a truly accurate comparison of the widths...

Grips....

2nd from right is fattest "tennis ball" original grip
2nd from left is narrowest original grip, similar to 1959 Kodiak

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Wow I didn't realize those grips were that fat, I don't think I would care for that.

Scott

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks Wade for the great responses and pictures. It's amazaing at all the variations, but when various bowyers make bows one at a time, I guess their subtle preferences show up.

I only have one '60 Kodiak with a # of 18ZX4(?) (the last # or letter is obscured)

The limbs on my bow mirrow the 6th bow from the left on your pic.  The grip looks like the 4th bow from the left.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Scott - Yes, many of the 60 grips are fat. Some of them are almost like having a hold of a tennis ball.

Lon - Yes, there are lots of varations.

The 6th from left with limbs like yours is # BJ116 which is toward the end of the B series numbers before they were abandoned.

At the far right side are two additional 60 Kodiaks that missed yesterday's lineup.

There are really some different looking riser overlay shapes, particularly right at the shelf.

Not difficult to pick out the bows that are refinished... (and those that beg for refinish)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
:scared:  You're a sick man, Wade Phillips  :bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Wade, that LH on the end is ruining your beautiful collection of fine 1960's. Maybe I should send you a shipping address where you can get rid of it so the rest of your collection will stand out better without the distraction of an ugly LH thrown in the mix?

-Joe-

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
my first serious target bow

Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline 2ndTimeShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add a bit. I just got a Kodiak Special Deluxe from the auction site for $280. 64", 36#. Almost perfect condition. No clouding in the limbs, and only two minor stress cracks in the glass. I'm not really a collector (at least I only have 4 bows) and I was looking for a 35# bow which led me to this one. Having read many posts here I knew what a great bow it is, and how rare it is so it took about 2 seconds to choose to buy it. It is stamped 22 but this bow has been shot a lot, the strike plate and feather rest were almost completely worn off. I don't have a string yet but I plan on shooting it as much as I can. The grip is awesome, fits so well and the bow feels so good in the hand. Can't wait to shoot it. I see from the above posts that grips varied a lot in the Kodiaks, is this true for the KSD as well? If I wanted to get another bow (if I can find one) that has the same grip as this one, would it be the Kodiak Special, Kodiak Deluxe, or only another KSD? I'm thinking if I found any of these in a slightly shorter or longer, lighter or heavier version I would love to get it.
Shandor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©