INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear A Wood Risers - Serial Numbers - 1969-1972  (Read 6307 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear A Wood Risers - Serial Numbers - 1969-1972
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Rick-Yes,this history and collecting stuff can be very addicting.But it's a good addiction to have.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Wade-I can understand that.John will be missed.

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I picked up an unusual one  at baltimore, its like ever other type one A handle i have EXCEPT the #, it appears origional and i will try for a pic when i get back from Denton the #  is

E 101 H
you tell me your ideas, since Al passed away I cant seem to get any answers.We guessed MABYE  Experimental  101  Hunter  ????
I also picked up a set of limbs  1003  way cool!
third production set out of Grayling

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
hey  doc, i think i now own 1145 had it for about6-7 years   nice work ,Chris

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Chris,

E 101 H

Way Too Cool.

Experimental is logical assumption for E.

H, I have no idea, possibly the craftsman involved with its production. If E 101 J turns up we will all be talking to ourselves.

Bet Al is having fun looking down on us, knowing the meaning of "H" is obvious.

Glad you picked up the 1003 Limbs. They belong in hands like yours where their significance is truly appreciated.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Now Abear, I was kinda sorta thinkin' we'd get answers from you as this thread goes along...not more questions   :eek:

That's a great find.  Didn't anyone at the factory keep any notes at all? Hopefully we can answer many such questions as we move forward.

Thanks for the info, I added it to the list.

Bernie

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Here's A1548:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Bernie -

What is the serial # on those limbs with indented wedges? I have a couple pairs with indented wedges...

2-2516
3-2776

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Wade,

Do I detect a future limbs thread?    ;)  

Those are 1-2439

They have gold lettering and white tips.

B

Offline RSH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
CrookedStick, I sent you an email. Thanks for all the information you are gathering. It will be great when you complete it.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
another one A-01064 please note the zero before the 1...bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
another one is A-1893 in 1999 owner was Lee..I may not have done complete restorations on several of these bows.I may have only filled sight holes....bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
and then A-01026 owner in 1999 was Ron.I have the bows with the zero first in the serial number listed as 1969 A riser.Yeah I know what makes me think that ? I'll get to that later.bd

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Will the B risers be next?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
and then A-1194 owner on 10-10-99 was Lynn...I still have over 15 years of ledgers to read.
I don't want to sound like some wise ass but is the info on this thread going to be sold or profited off of in any way by anyone ? What the heck I'am just asking ??? bd PS HEY BERNIE THIS ONE SAYS NO BUSHING sorry about that...bd

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Geez Bowdoc, good question.  I would hope nobody would consider profiting from this info, but I guess we can't really copyright it since it's all fact.

I am hoping for a, or THE, comprehensive listing of A-risers so we can use the info to eventually answer some questions such as: When exactly were the year breaks in serial number? What number ended type 1? What number started the whole thing? Ended? What determined installation of a stab. bushing? How many were really made? etc...etc.

Historically speaking, threads like this should REALLY assist the collecting/archery history community. Actually I would suggest doing this for ALL the Bear classics.  

I mean, even Wade doesn't have a large enough sampling of bows to really come to any logical conclusions, but we as the Tradgang History community could possibly, realistically, own the majority of existing examples of any given item.

If you guys think I should remove owner's names and just have a list of serial numbers and accompanying notes, I can do that as well.  Just say the word.

Just my thoughts...maybe too idealistic.

Bernie

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
Bernie -

I have come to only one very logical conclusion,  after years of collecting and studying Bear bows... regardless of any rule or conclusion that is established about Bear bows, it seems there will be exceptions...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
Bernie -

It is logical that you need to know the names of the persons entering the data so you can go back and correct entries that may be in error or incomplete or find additional information not included initially.

Lots of information could be added... Bushing Y/N, RH/LH, etc.

If someone wants to give you the information and their name, but does not want their name to appear on the list, they should have that option.

I know first hand from collecting other archery items that if the owner or person submitting the information is not known, the quality and validity of the data can not be verified and updated as needed.

As the administrator of the list, you need to be able to contact the owners.

It is also nice for all of the owners to be able to contact each other.

Bernie - You are correct, the only people who really care about threads like this are the collecting/archery history community. Most of those persons frequent this site and have access to the information.

Yes, eventually it would be nice to do the same thing for all the Bear Classics.

Let's see now, if you do one of these each week, in July 2010, you might be able to see an end at some point...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
I think its a great idea and the info would be very helpful to lots of collecters owners and shooters.
As for the last names of said owners I can't give that up.No last names without their OK I'am sure you all understand that.
I would be more then happy to continue listing the A serial numbers I have to help out but no last names yet ???
When I asked about this info being sold or used to make a profit the one reason I did....was I would hate to wake up some morning and someone has a new book out on ID-ing bear t/d bows.All the info was supplied by us collecters and then someone hits the printer button and bang new book out.You know kind of like the bear CD and the place that sells copies of all bear catalogs and there are even black and white copies of the bear catalogs for sale out there.Those folks did not spend there adult life reseaching old bows hell no they did'nt.They hit the printer button (ask Wade Phillips about time spent reseaching he'll tell ya).I just don't want to be any part of that in any way shape or form.I'll supply most info I have free of charge to anyone whom may have interest in it.I just don't want to read it in print for sale by anyone other then myself if thats the case.I've spent a good many years of my life working on old bows collecting and reseaching any little info I could find any little thing I figured may help crack the code so to speak.You guy's with me so far ? I guess what I'am saying is if I spend 2 days looking through old ledgers to supply info on A risers or any old bows or said archery tackle for that matter and it comes up for sale at any time I'am going to be really really pissed at that person.
Wade I used you as one of the hardest working men in archery collecting I know.You've spent 1,000's of hrs on your work and I repect that.bd

Offline Lamont Granger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
A-1407, LH, no stabilizer insert, has spring adj side plate, all original, brown bears
A-1335, RH, stabilizer insert, has sping adj side plate, all original, brown bears, signed by Fred Bear.

Lamont

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©