3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use the Simmons Woodpecker Drill . Found some for sale, details on page two !!  (Read 2092 times)

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd like any opinions from members who are currently using or have used the Simmons Woodpecker drill for installing steps up a tree. I already have a lineman's belt and a set of spurs that I climb with but really like the simplicity and added safety factor of using this method, especially when having to pack a climber or stick ladder/loc-on along way in would be a hinderance. I placed an add in the classifieds "Treestands and blinds" looking for a used one and would also like to find one of the lightweight belts that Simmons sold, so maybe I can pick something up soon.  For those who have used this system, what's the good/bad points, it really look like it's a simple, light, safe, and easy way to go.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Excellent tool. One of those items you buy an extra of just because it's so handy. Along with the lineman's belt it sure makes getting stands up a heck of a lot easier. Well worth the money.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
I love mine. The best part is being able to use the same holes each time you climb the tree. It saves alot of time. I carry ten bolts and the drill and there is no tree I can't climb. I use mine with the Greene's Tree Saddle.
N/A

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
It works well considering its small size and weight. When pre-drilling trees for later use I prefer a good cordless drill.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree with blackhawk.  I have the belt, the woodpecker drill, and the bolts.  I also bought a bit the same size for a cordless drill.  I use it for pre drilling but I have the hand drill in case I need to add a hole or if I decide to move a stand.  I  use hardened cap bolts now instead of the hex bolts.  I like being able to remove the bolts on the way down.  Stands tend to stay where you put them better.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
I like mine, but the tree has to be hard-you guys don't use this system on pine trees do you? I've tried and they are too soft-maybe I'm doing something wrong?
BCD

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Are people stupid?  This system is so superior to convential steps it's not even funny.  AND it appears the company couldn't make go of it.  Very SAD!!!

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
I can sell mine if anyone is intrested. Or better do some trading.
Out Door Dan

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
Dan,
PM sent.

Darrell
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Think about it-you can use this system and get up 15-20 feet with what you can hold  in one hand..
I will offer an alternative for you all that don't like the hand drill aspect of a woodpecker...(boys with toys).

http://www.treesuit.com/treehopper.html

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Rod Jenkins

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've been using my Woodpecker drill and belt for the last 15 yrs or so....very quick and easy way to hang a stand...without alerting what your hunting!

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone know if there is a difference between this one and the treehopper drill?  Both look about the same.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
I think Yohon must be busy cutting Christmas trees or he would have chimed in here. I know he uses one and has no problem with them in loblolly pine...

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
East Coast archer,
Woodpecker is a hand drill. Treehopper is a bit that you put in your power drill.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
BCD,
Make sure if you are drilling a soft tree like a pine or poplar that you drill the hole on a slight uphill angle. That way when loaded with your weight it will remain perpendicular to the tree trunk.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

• Trad Bowhunter
Legolas
Treehopper has a hand drill too.  Looks a lot like the woodpecker.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
East Coast,
I was responding to the link I provided... no hand drill there.

Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Paul

This is what I was wondering about:

http://www.treehopper-llc.com/HandDrill.aspx

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the advantage over srew-in tree steps? Your using the same motion to drill the holes. Are you guys pulling out the bolts each time you leave?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
VTer,
Yep. And you can hold 10 bolts in one hand, You can't do that with steps. And once the holes are in the tree next time you just put it in the hole and one good shove and its in. Instead of standing there on steps screwin in steps over and over and over...

Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©