INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear B Wood Risers - Serial Numbers - 1969-1972  (Read 7651 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear B Wood Risers - Serial Numbers - 1969-1972
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
John just as you implied I'am pretty darn certin with the notes I've kept over the years on those stamped bows those were discounted price bows is all.That's all the stamp ment on 90% of them I've seen anyhow.
I personaly believe very few bows would have actually been sold stamped or not with damage and surely not with any visible damage.The B Y X 2 + two 2's were all indacaters of a discounted price bow.
I'am sure that Bear Archery nore any other company would want their product out in the market place to hurt someone and end up with a law suit over selling a $59.95 bow.That alone should eliminates the guess work about were the stamped bows damaged or not.Nope I don't think so.
I know some bows that were stamped were the last years stock and some that got stamped had been on consignment in sporting goods stores for a year and had handleing marks on them.
Some were returned to Bear Archery for credit.Some like last years stock at NWA the Bear Archery rep came to the dealer and rather then pay shipping back to Grayling on last years old stock bows they got stamped with b x y 2 2 2's whatever stamp that rep used and sold at a discount price.bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Doc-That would make sense.I couldn't imagine Bear selling a defective bow to save someone a couple of bucks either.I cannot find any flaws on the riser at all.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Yes sir John you got it.I've made notes on dozens of if not more like 100's-ish of stamped bows I've worked on and I've never seen or noted anything wrong with any of the stamped bows what so ever.bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Doc -

I have probably told you this before but... When I went through hundreds of Bear invoices at Floyd Eccleston's shop, several of the 1950s invoices were for bows that were stated on the invoice as "SECOND". Not sure what Bear meant by the word "SECOND", but like you I have owned many stamped bows and never seen anything wrong with any of them. I'm certain Bear would never sell a bow that had a  potential problem with its functionally, so my guess is that it was designated as a "SECOND" because of a cosmetic issue or it was last year's model or possibly both.

Anyone who had seen an invoice for a Bear "SECOND" bow, might have a different interpertation of the meaning of the word, if they had not had our similar experiences with stamped bows still being perfectly functional.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Geez...I go to work and you guys post two pages worth of stuff!

Sweeeet!

Bernie

Note: B-riser list up to date as of July 22, 21:30.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
OK Bernie we posted two pages but few numbers.We got side tracked a little which is easy to do here on TG.
Anyhow here's one for the B list I found today while digging.This one was always kind of special to me.
I did the work in the ealy 1990's maybe 91-93.This is by no means the first B riser I'd worked on but was special none the less.The number is B-2242 and it has a 1959 Kodiak copper coin installed in it.The owner at the time I did the work was and I'am pretty certin he won't mind me using his name fact is I bet he's laughing his ass off at us right now.Yes our good friend and one of the best Al Reader.Al owned the B handle around 90-93 not sure if he still had it or not and I did not make note but I believe its a lefty which would make sence.
At any rate it was special to me because I felt I'd made the grade as a bow refinisher when big Al called looking for the bowdoc I just went hell yeah the king of collecters called me.Double hell yeah.sorry guy's I got carried away when I rememberd working on Al's bow bd PS whoops I forgot restored.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
ttt
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
OK here's another one for the B list and its another one sent to me from Al Reader.B-2200 and again I did not keep notes as to right or lefthanded and or complete restoration or just a repair.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Hey Bernie here's something that could or would really help me out down the road.I know its a pain in the butt already because Wade said these lists involed work and that sucks.
I will be more then happy to help continue our quest of Bear T/D's all I can time aloted.I had to check out a few things first.I'd just hate to get in any trouble with anyone or any of my long time customer or even worse yet ? get the snot beat out of me for posting someone's name on the internet.
As far as if I post the serial numbers and names together.Those names are OK to use because I was once owner of said riser myself or the owner has given me his or her OK.
I actually do own the legal rights to the pics and photo copies of any pics I've taken of bows I've worked on or restored that someone else might use in an add anywhere anytime for anything.I own the pics I've taken(I could beat snot out of that guy and get away with it)However if it were posted something like Joe Smith's riser with pic's and name I may have problemo's when Joe's wife finds out he's holden a B riser she did not know about.
Anywho is there some way you could just make a small mark for the one's I do not list their names with like just a bd or something ? That way when I'am reading the list and see bd or whatever.I will not have to go through these ledgers again.One of my oldest ledgers is just hammerd on and falling apart.
You could provide a great service to me as well as if someone was wondering if the riser had been restored or worked on at anytime they would see the bd or whatever and could contact me anytime for info about the riser ? I know its a pian but it could work out good for everyone ? bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
whoops I almost forgot B-1154 lower brown bear was missing at the time of restoration.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
OK for today we can start with B-2098 it may be lefthanded as I recall and was total restoration.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
I got time to give up a few more this morning.So next will be B-1499 it may be LH total restoration as I recall.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
OK I knew this was going to happen at some point.I was kind of thinking if I kept digging I'd find it and booyaa found it this morning.This is a great one and I will add a little info on this one at some point but anywho it's B-2489 so that would had to have been built in 1972 according to Frank's notes.Well that one according to bowdoc's notes was 72.The riser is your normal looking black and tan and very well may have been one of the last flush mounted brass coin black and tan risers built.Or will 2499 surface in our quest ? stay tuned.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
and then B-2226.......bd

Offline Lamont Granger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
RH, B-1745, original finish, brown bears, signed by Fred Bear

Lamont

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
and I'll give up one more.Gee's we should be near to cracking the case ahh ? this one would be B-2072....bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Bowdoc- That last one you just gave B-2072 I already put on the list.It's one I used to own and sold it to a fellow.Shortly after he sold it on e-***.I wondered what ever happened to it.Funny how some of hese make the rounds.Maybe i'll get it back one day.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Guys, I have B-1630 and a style II that I'll dig up the number on. You probably have the numbe BD. Grant

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I think mine is B-1225 I bought it sometime in 1969. I killed a muley buck with it the fall of that year. The Bowdoc has it for refinishing at this time.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys...list should be up to date as of 7/24, 22:00, but if I ever say that and you don't see your bow there, give me a poke.

Grant, can you give me a few details on 1630? RH or LH, etc...

Bill, same with 1225, any more info for posterity?  You should go to Owosso, Michigan with that bow.  There is a steam engine there with the same number--was used in Polar Express movie.

Bowdoc, anybody ever call you a pain in the butt? Next thing you'll want me to pick up your laundry.

I'll only add a bowdoc note if you show me how to restore a '59 Kodiak...oh, you already did that...well, I'll only add a bowdoc note if you show me how to fix the sight holes in a Bear Takedown...oh, you already did that too...well, I'll only add a bowdoc note if you share your massive list of Bear risers in your ledger notes...oh, you are already doing that.

Ok, you win, I guess I'll add a Bowdoc note to your ledger bows.   :notworthy:  

Thanks again guys,

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©