INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: More Archery History(Roy Case)  (Read 1211 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
More Archery History(Roy Case)
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I just picked this bow up in a trade recently from a fellow trad shooter and great guy and thought I would share it with you.It is an old osage D-style horn nocked longbow made by Roy Case from Racine Wisconsin in 1930.When I originally got it,it was missing the upper horn nock but the original lower nock was there.It always felt like one might feel going out with only one shoe on so I wanted a replacement nock made but didn't want to send the bow out in the mail as I've had some bad luck with the mail when it comes to vintage bows.So I took the bow to Compton this year in the hopes of finding someone that could help me out.I showed the bow to Gene McGlashin of Stillwater Archery from Harrison Michigan and he said he would make the tip for me.I gave Gene a photo I got from Roy's son of an original horn nock from one of his dad's bows for comparison.I wanted it to look as close to an original as possible.Gene builds some absolutely gorgeous vintage style longbows himself and even got John Grumley's blessing to make a Grumley style longbow in honor of Nels.I just got back from a road trip to Harrison and Gene's place to pick up the bow and it looks great.Gene also put horn nocks on another vintage longbow I have that was in need of them.More on that bow in another thread.With all the information we read about here on Fred Bear and all of his accomplishments,which I love as much as anybody,I just thought some other archery history was in order.Now for anyone not familiar with Roy Case,here are just a few of his accomplishments:
 1)Formed Racine Archery Club,Wisconsin's 1st archery club
 2)Organized the Wisconsin Archery Association and put on the 1st three tournaments and one in 1942
 3)Organized the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
 4)Eight time Wisconsin archery champ
 5)One time mid-west champ
 6)Several times state flight champ
 7)Archery golf champ in 1933
 8)Holds both the Compton and Thompson  medal of honor awards
 9)Made all archery eqipment for self and family,and my favorite
 10)Killed wisconsin's first archery deer in 1930,the same year this bow was made

Fred Bear bought broadheads from Roy before he started offering his own.I just thought some of you might enjoy some of this history from another prominent archer/bowhunter from the past.Like Fred,Roy helped to keep the archery flame lit  so that we might enjoy it's glow so many years later.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More Archery History(Roy Case)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks John. Neat stuff!!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Nice post John. All great accomplishments to have on a resume but #10 is something else. Not too many bowhunters can say that.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Nice bow John.Reminds me alot of a Kibbe....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Outstanding.bd

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Great piece of history! thanks Greg
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics John and the History Lesson.

Cool Stuff Brother, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that bit of history and pics. I appreciate everything historical about this great sport..bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Glad you all like a little more history on our favorite sport.It's what makes this forum so great.Sorry for the white spot in the last photo,I wanted to show a picture of Roy with his 1930 buck and one of his longbows.The photo is in a frame with glass over it.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Johnny,you are absolutely right, We spend a great amount of time talking about Bear, Hill, Pearson (and I love it) etc. but the history of archery sure had a lot of supporting characters like Case, Chester Stevenson & Chief Compton. Our history is awesome and following the exploits of any of these guys is what it is all about. Keep them old stories coming!!

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
John,

Some fantastic stuff.  I should have made you pick me up on the way! Thanks for the great info.

Bernie

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
69RECURVE- I will do my best to dig up some other stuff that might be of interest,but I know alot of other tradgangers can and will contribute
 CrookedStick(Bernie)-I would have loved to have had you along as my "road dog" as I made the trip solo.Went to the Midland flea-market(picked up a real nice 1949 Michigan B&A back tag and some display cases) and then to Harrison.Of course I had to make a stop at Jay's in Clare to check on my Bear stuff.I was surrounded by history most of the day.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
John - Nice bow, I do remember seeing photographs of it before.

In addition to Roy's accomplishments you cited, Roy is regarded as the first broadhead collector, starting his collection in 1927. He is regarded as the grandfather of broadhead collectors. He was the first Honorary member of the American Broadhead Collector's Club (ABCC). Roy's first broadhead, the Case Kiska, is the logo for the ABCC. Although Roy's collection is not large by today's standards, it contains many great 1930s hand made heads that were made by prominent archery personalities personalities of the era.

Roy was also one of the nicest most generous old bowmen that I ever met. When I visited him in 1983, he gave me several broadheads and two of his arrows and signed them. One is now in the Pope and Young Club / St. Charles Museum. Somewhere I have several old 35mm photographs that I took of Roy with all of this stuff including his 1930 deer.

Volumes could be written about Roy Case. Just got back from the first day of the Nebraska Traditional Archers Bow Building Workshop and am dust and chips from head to toe, going to hit the shower and sack. If I get back early enough tomorrow will post some more interesting stuff about Roy Case.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Wade-Thanks for the additional information on Roy.He really had the love of archery in his heart it seems.That's cool that he is regarded as the first broadhead collector.I know I've seen pictures in the old Archery magazines of Roy's broadhead collection and I remember thinking how small it was compared to some of the collections we see today.That's great that you got to meet him in person.
 I would love to see some of the photographs you have of Roy.Post 'em if you get a chance.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
John,

Great history, and a beautiful bow.
You couldn't have got anyone better
to make the missing horn nock. Gene is
a master at it.
John.   :archer:
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Archer1(John)-I agree,when I ran into Gene at his booth at Compton and saw some of his bows(again)I knew he could do the job right.The other bow he made nocks for looks great too.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
John,

As a side note, I may have had the horn
that is on your bow. Gene was telling me
that he had to make a new horn tip for
you, and was having trouble finding the right
piece of horn. I told him I had a few that he had given me years ago, and he could try them,
so he stopped over and got them. I'm not sure he
used one of them on your bow, but it's a pretty good bet he did. It is amazing what he can do with them. Your's sure turned out great.
John.  :archer:

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
John- Well if my horn nock is from you,I appreciate you're kindness in helping Gene find a suitable replacement for my bow.It just looks right now.Did you get a chance to see the bow while Gene had it?   John

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
John,

No, I'm sorry to say I didn't get a chance to see the bow. I was out of town for a while, and didn't get a chance to get over to his place.
 Gene is a great guy, and has helped me with many things over the years, so any time he needs something that I can help with, I'm more then glad to do it.
John  :archer:

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
Here's an old thread with some great archery history.

I always enjoy these thread   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©