INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Glen St Charles Back quiver value  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Glen St Charles Back quiver value
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I picked up a Glen St Charles back quiver with the leather top and straps with the metal bottom at a garage sale this weekend, and its in excellent condition, I was wondering what it might be worth. It came with 11 fiberglass shafts with zwickey deltas mounted. Anybody know what those quivers usally sell for?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glen St Charles Back quiver value
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
An original St.Charles quiver in excellent condition is a very desirable item for many collectors.  Unfortunately, there just are not enough of them selling to determine a market value.  As they say, "it's worth what you can sell it for.

Now for my opinion...I would say $200-$300.
Lon Scott

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks Lon I just didnt have a clue.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Is it the elk hide cover with no logo? Or does it have the Bear logo?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Oops....forgot.....what size/brand of glass shafts, and what year on the deltas?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
The early suede models are the toughest to find.  

I've seen a few nice elk hide models sell around $100.00 to $125.00 and the vinyl ones sell for something less.

Like Lon said,  there's not enough sold to really predict what one will bring.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Ron, I havent received it yet, my sister picked it up at a garage sale and I will get it tuesday but she said there are no marking on the quiver at all. The Deltas are green and so are the shafts and there are no markings on the shafts either. I did send her a photo of a St Charles quiver and she said thats exactly what it looks like. I will know more tuesday.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Early ones were suede, later model smooth cowhide. There have been a few on eb.. recently. Last seen in the Bear Catalog in 1974. I think the first model came without straps, sound like you have a later model.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
The first model had no chest strap, but had the two backpack straps.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Hud - Elk hide rather then cowhide replaced the suede. Never had a DNA analysis on any of mine to really be able to state with certainty that they are elk hide, just going by the catalog statements. Would be interested to hear if anyone is a leather expert and can shed light on if the leather is really elk hide. Frankly, I have always wondered if it really was elk hide. I may have to take a quiver to some leather shops. They already know me as the crazy guy who brings in those old bows trying the match the leather on them.

Elk hide last appeared in the 1970 catalog. From 1971 to 1974 the design changed and they were made of vinyl, I don't collect or use vinyl stuff so have no first hand knowledge of it.

Trap - The very first suede model had no rivets in the hood to the hold the oval shaping spring in place, it was sewn above and below the spring.

These are the 4 models that I have shown in the book right now. There may be other factory variations that I am not aware of. Have seen several other variations that were obviously modified by bowmen.

St. Charles Suede, Sewn Spring
St. Charles Suede, Riveted Spring
St. Charles Elk Hide, Riveted Spring
St. Charles Elk Hide, Riveted Spring, Chest Thong w/ D-Ring

That whole thong thing in the catalogs was innocent enough given the era, but given the connotation of the word today, that may be changed to "Chest Strap w/ D-Ring" in the book. If possible, usually try to use the manufacturer's printed descriptive words, but this will probably be one of those exceptions.

The leather models of the St. Charles are great quivers for certain hunting situations. Used original St. Charles for a couple of years and also used my own handmade version for a number of years.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Wade, once again you are helping fill in the blanks with your wealth of knowledge, thanks for sharing.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I like mine with a "thong"  

Trap

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Ron - Trust me there are still lots of blanks out there especially in my brain. Every once in a while another one gets filled in. You'll have to let us know if yours fits any of the above descriptions.

Trap - I'm sticking with "Chest Strap".

And before you ask the question, the answer is NO, "Breast Strap" is not an option!!!

In 1955, Bear already used the words "Breast Strap" for the Alaskan and Western quivers...

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Yeah, we wouldnt want to call it a "strap on" now would we.

Trap

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Wade, I am an expert on blank spots, the older I get the more episodes I have. Life is great but getting old is a bitch.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Trap - I'm not sure if those words were used by any quiver manufacturer or not, but hopefully, I never make the mistake of putting them in print.

Ron - Now what were we talking about?

As Larry says, "My forgetter keeps getting better".

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
I received the St Charles quiver today and its the model with Elk Hide revited spring with chest thong with D- ring so I am guessing its a late sixties model according to the info Wade provided. It had 11 fiberglass shafts < no name on them> with 11 1969 Zwickey Deltas 2 blade broadheads. I havent figured out how to post photos on this site yet but I can email some photos to somebody if they would be so kind to post them for others to see. Thanks, Ron.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Ron - You can email them to me and I will post them for you.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks Wade,I will.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Ron - Nice quiver and arrows. You may want to check with Glenn to see if you can get it signed.

From a distance the Zwickey's almost look like Glenn's Mickey Finn Broadheads.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©