INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1950 Kodiak?  (Read 488 times)

Offline arcolungo

• Trad Bowhunter
1950 Kodiak?
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Does anyone have a general idea what a 1950 Bear Kodiak in very good shape would be worth? I am not looking to sell it (it's not even mine), just curious. I was out shooting today, and my freind was shooting one. It is a static limb, maple with an aluminium lamination and bi-directional "basket weave" fiberglass. I suggested that he not shoot it because I heard the aluminium/maple limbs were fragile.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1950 Kodiak?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
arcolungo, There are a few guys on here who could tell you what it's worth. But you did good in telling your friend to stop shooting it as you are rigth the aluminium/maple limbs were fragile.. I been told you never know when they will blow up.. Most people who have them use them for just wall hanger's

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
arcolungo - If your friend keeps shooting the 1950 Kodiak and it breaks, contact me, I'm looking for a broken aluminum laminated Bear.

The general belief among collectors is that a lot of the aluminum laminated bows broke, seems most accounts are based on second hand statements. Unfortunately, nobody on this forum has been able to produce one for examination.

I personally hate to try to break one just to examine the interior structure of the woven fiberglass layers.

To answer your question about value...

The 1950 Kodiak was advertised in K4 (64") but was also made in 62" and 66". Over 90 percent that I have seen are 64". The 1950 K6 (66") is rare. And, I have only ever seen or heard of the possibility of three 1950 K2 bows in existence, but would not be surprised to hear of others tomorrow.

As far as value of the K4s, most sell for between $100 and $300 depending on condition and how many bidders are going after it. Some have gone higher. I've seen lots of 1950 Kodiaks over the years, but very few have been dead mint with no sign of set in the limbs. Dead mint, no set in the limbs, all original decals and leather would be at the top end of the value. A K2 in that condition could easily be double that amount.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline arcolungo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the input and information gentelmen. Very helpful. This bow has no set in the limbs. It is definitely original leather. Until a few days ago, I really doubt that it was shot...at least not more than a few times. The arrow rest is barely scuffed. It is a K.4. My buddy rescued it (and a few other bows)out of a large burn pile at the local dump. He estimates there were over 40 bows. They were apparently owned by a collector of Bear bows who had passed away. His family emptied the entire shop and just tossed everything! These are the urban bowhunter ledgends we all hear about and are never a part of. Just to be sure my buddy wasn't pulling my leg, I talked to the guy that runs the dump. He said he was the one that put the match to it. My buddy drove in a few minutes later and noticed  it. The guy at the dump felt really bad about putting a bit of history up in flames when I let him know what he may have had laying in that pit. Not his fault. A sad thing though.

Offline arcolungo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Wade - if he does break it, I will send you a message and get your shipping address. Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©