INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Barney Grenier's 1940s Bow Hinge  (Read 416 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Barney Grenier's 1940s Bow Hinge
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Most who collect old wooden bows are familiar with Barney Grenier’s Bow Hinge sold during the 1940s and early 1950s. Its precision 3-piece movement of harden blued steel was unequaled during the era.

Have a friend who is looking for either an original or a reproduction to put on a bow. Let me know if anyone has an extra.

Bowmen sharing the warmth of a fire and their friendships, hunting in the St. Helen area 1940, left to right hinge inventor Barney Grenier; Michelangelo of Bowyers Nels Grumley; old time bowman Bill Loomis and Greatest Bowhunter of all time Fred Bear. Original unused 1940s Grenier Bow Hinge lower right corner.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barney Grenier's 1940s Bow Hinge
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Great old photo Wade, I do think I know some one who has some thing like that... If not I am sure some one can make you reproduction...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Wade

If possible could you show us the hinge mounted on a bow. I don’t quite understand how it works.

I wonder if these guys had guides or help during their  hunting trips. There was at least one other person, the one holding the camera.

Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Simon

Will get photos of a Grenier hinge on a bow posted later today.

The bow is cut in half at the center of the grip. The the 6 counter sunk holes are used to screw the hinge to the bow. When Nels used Barney's hinge on Bear bows, he covered the hinge with the leather grip.

The advantage of the Barney's hing was both halves of the bow were attached at all times.

Don't believe these guys really had guides for their 1930s and 1940s deer hunts in Michigan. At least not guides in the sense that we think of them today. They were pretty much figuring things out for themselves and setting up their own camp. Don't know how the shutter was snapped for this photograph. Lots to learn and so little time to learn it...

Simon - Just took this photo of the only Grenier Hing I have on a bow that is not covered with a leather grip. You can see it had a leather grip at one time and the hinge is rusted probably from moisture retained by the leather when the bow got wet. Six screws on each half and both halves attached to each other. Nice sleek hinge.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks Wade. Now I get it.

And I think I see a positioning pin ? Makes sense.

Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
In addition to the simple positioning pin, several other methods were used for alignment and stability of the two halves.

In the late 1960s, I believe Fred got it right when he developed his 3-piece TD system.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Wade, The bow dose not come apart ?.. But just  fold's in half rigth ?.

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Cody - Correct. The center piece of the hing holds the two parts that are screwed to the bow.

One advantage is you can never loose one half of your bow... you can only loose both halves together... !!!

Guess in the dark it could be much easier to put together as opposed to fumbling around with two pieces.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©