INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wadester check this out for me  (Read 529 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Wadester check this out for me
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wadester check this out for me
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
I gotta heat this thing up and pull it out.bd  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
its an adapater for a parallel ferrule sfaft.I don't recall ever seeing one.bd  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
weird looks like a head shrinker but it weighs 79 grains made of aluminum and is 5/16 inside diameter.bd  

Online Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Doc, looks home made.. Is that just an old Target Point ?...

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
79 grains of aluminum it must be pretty thick. Hey Doc that is a good use for your keyboard.
Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Looks like a field or target point with the shoulder ground off. Maybe a Howard Hill field point from the angle of the tip.My Howard Hill 5/16 is 1.37" long but it is a tapered ferrule.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Hi Ron I got a coffee can full of old field tips I'am going to dig through this week and see what I can find.If nothing else its a great way to add about 80 grains to a bear razorhead.bd

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Don, I have some of them also but not sure of if  parallel or tapered ferrule, I'll have to do some digging...I also assumed that they are target points.......Hink..   :archer:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Hink I thought the same thing some sort of field or target tip.However the outside diameter and 5% ? outside taper and a perfect fit for the inside of an 11/32 ferrule.I pulled it off a fiberglass shaft the had been cut off and had no insert.I still have one mounted to an arrow I'll get a pic up asap.I know this is no big deal but I'd like to find a few more of them.bd

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I have some 5/16" brass parallel points that weigh 110 gr. I tried to grind it down to a 5 drg taper and ground through the side wall. I have a bunch of 11/32" aluminum  parallel points that only weigh 75 gr. so a 5/16" would weigh even less.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
ok this is driving me nuts.I just don't believe thats a field tip do to the fact its a percise fit into the back of any 11/32 broadhead or field tip ferrule for that matter and I mean a good tight fit too.It just does not seem a manufacture would take the time to make aluminum field tips with a precision 5 degree fit like that.Check out this pic Ron with one still mounted on the arrow.The Bear bleeder blades will snap into place without hitting the point of the adapter.bd  

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
That sure didn't seat very far onto the shaft!

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Doc - If you sent it to me, I examine it, post the findings and return it to you. Best to see this odd ball stuff in person rather then try to guess from photographs.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Those are called "Woody Weights" today   ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
When Howard Hill made his original heads, they had a parallel ferrule, and he used a rivet to secure them to the shaft. Early field points and target points were also parallel. They were crimped.

The problem with the old parallel tips was finding wood shafts that would fit tight. Wood shafts were not consistently round or of the same diameter, and glue was never strong enough to keep the head on the shaft if it found a tree. So either crimping or rivets were used.

Tapered points came on the market in the late 50's or 60's and solved many of the problems and ferrule cement used in rod building was used to secure tapered points. This was before ferrule-tite came out.

In my opinion, this piece looks homemade, and the front may be solid allowing for the taper. The parallel section would be required for glass unless you had inserts. Only an old-timer would think or  it. He probably used them on wood shafts as well.  

My question is, is this two pieces? A parallel tube with an tapered insert?

This device would add strength to the glass shaft, which had a tendency to split or fracture with the old style inserts. Old inserts were short, and easily driven back into a shaft if something hard was hit.

Today, there are weighted brass inserts, and steel inserts to increase weight, in aluminum when using a light field point or broadhead, but I don't think it was the original purpose. It looks like a carry-over that someone was accustom to using. This is based on my experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Don , looks to me to be an early field point , I checked some of my Ayers arrows as well as some early FL Clark arrows with a bear razorhead and it fit perfect.
Some of the early field points were shaped pretty funny.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
yap thats what I'am thinking now its an 80 grain field tip...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
What United States Manufacturer (not English maker) advertised and sold the first tapered field/target tip?

What year?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©