INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tell me what I just won  (Read 710 times)

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me what I just won
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Big Site - Auction number 330350713658

Saw it was about to end. Saw it was a Bear. Saw I could get it for 37 bucks. I jumped without even knowing what it is. Serial number starts with a "1". 58" AMO (thats probably a bad sign) and it only pulls 32#.

What do you guys think it is? Has to be worth 37 bucks I figure.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me what I just won
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Looks like a Cub I think.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
It's a 59, 60 or 61 Panda.

Made in 58"  The bow you bought has a the little plastic shelf that slips behind the leather grip.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I would agree with Trap. Let us know when you get your hands on it.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
so the little shelf makes it ambidextrous?
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Kevin, I should have magnified the image a little more.  The inset in the middle of the page on the right side states.

"Interchangeable arrow rest slips into either side of the leather handle covering to accommodate right and left hand shooters"

The panda was commonly used by school archery programs,  scout troops etc.  Sometimes you'll find them with school names stamped in them and waterslide decals from archery organizations.

Cool little bows.

Trap

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Trap - What date would this gray glass Panda be? Silk screen is partially missing but still readable.

The interchangeable ambidextrous plastic rest is missing.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
good god Wade you have a Panda ? bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Doc - I have been saving that Panda for you to use when you come to Nebraska to hunt with us...

Figured it would save you from having to pack a bow.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
if nothing else that would make a great story.bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Wade, Not sure but I'm guessing 61.

The 61 Bear Archery catalog shows the Panda available in a host of Bearglass colors.  

Previous to that the catalogs only show one limb color.

1958- brown or black (can't tell for sure what color is depicted)

1959-1960 reddish orange

1961-multi colors

1961 Bear Archery catalog page 8

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
gee'wiss I'd love to have one in every color.bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
My father develpoed an interest in archery due to a high school archery program.  He graduated in 1960 so it's likely the Panda was what he was shooting at the time.

I wonder how many others were introduced to archery by these inexpensive starter bows?  

The manufacturers of the era did a great job of promoting their sport. I know that Shakespeare and Pearson also offered "starter" level bows.

I wonder if Matthews or Bow Tech does that?

Trap

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Doc, I know where you could probably get your hands on a gray glass and a red glass Panda.   ;)  

That would get you started  :bigsmyl:  

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
yeah I can see that happening.bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Trap – This is how I discovered and documented that little gray glass Panda is a 1958 model, which has a straight grip as compared to the catalog images you posted which have a slight pistol grip and a little wider sight window.

After you posted the first Panda catalog page August 15, 2009 05:53 PM, I checked the gray glass Panda I had and it appeared that the riser and grip were a little different. After checking my 1958 Catalog, and not seeing a Panda, I was unsure what year the bow really was. Then posted the photograph of it and my question, thinking you probably knew, especially since you have children who shoot lighter weight bows.

After posting my original question with the photograph of the gray glass Panda, August 16, 2009 09:35 AM, I spent the next few hours looking for documentation about it. I checked an old list of bows that said the Panda started in 1958, but that could not be supported with my 1958 Catalog which did not have the Panda nor the Alaskan in it, so I thought there was a mistake on the list. I have found several minor mistakes on this list and have been working to update and expand it so finding the correct year that the Panda started became a mission.

After finally finding actual Panda documentation from the era in the Nov and Dec 1958 Archery ads. I realized that Bear introduced the Alaskan and Panda at mid-year after the 1958 catalog was printed. Then I made the original post about the bow being a 1958, that post is now replaced with this text.

Should have explained all of this in the original post to be clear.

Then I checked the Bear Catalog CD and noticed that what I had written about the Panda not being in the 1958 Catalog was true for my Catalog, but not true for other 1958 Catalogs.

Page 9, first 1958 Catalog shows Bear Cub...
Page 9, second 1958 Catalog shows Bear Alaskan...

Page 10, first 1958 Catalog shows 9 photos inside plant
Page 10, second 1958 Catalog shows Bear Panda

Never realized that there were two different printings of the 1958 Bear Catalog.

And then I saw your post... so changed the texts in this post because quite frankly, I felt like an idiot in saying that the Alaskan and Panda were not in the 1958 Catalog, when in fact they were in some 1958 Catalogs.

For me it was both educational and humbling to learn of the two different 1958 Catalogs. Hopefully this makes us all aware that other difference may exist in other years and we all make some effort to find those differences.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
My mistake was trying to determine age by looking at one feature only such as glass color.  

We've seen many examples of this not being reliable.  In this case, riser configuration was a more definitive trait.  

Cool stuff, Trap

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
The Panda is in my '58 catalog reprint.  Retailed for $17.50!  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 04:49:00 AM »
Okay, here we go again with reviving old threads.

Don, I got a Panda for you to shoot when you come to Alberta as well. I know you are not gettin any younger so I ordered it up in a 35 pound draw weight.   :saywhat:  

The good news is that it appears to be brand new with the tag still on it.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
If any of you guys ever run on to a pink Panda, let me know.  I have a granddaughter that is four and coming on strong with her shooting.  

I think that a pink one would be rather rare.
Brad Lehmann

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©