INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How did you make your broadhead display cases ?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
How did you make your broadhead display cases ?
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Hello Guys, I am wanting to make my self a broadhead display case as well as a arrow display case.. I am looking for some ideas about how to make one...Any help would be great..

Thanks Guys,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How did you make your broadhead display cases ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Cody..that is a great question. I've been wondering what the standard dimensions are for the broadhead cases.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
the case I made was created out of 1x2s I made it 12x18 used plexiglass and those small clips from 3rivers to hold the broadheads
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Cody, I emailed you some photos.Let me know if they didn't come thru.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Hello Ron, I just got your emails.

Thanks,

Cody

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Mine are sized  to use 30x36 standard cut size Plexiglas. Cutting Plexiglas is a real pain.
1x3" poplar lumber then stained pecan color, with a grove 3/8" back from the front for the Plexiglas. the back is Masonite, which can be painted white. The strips are 3/4x3/4" poplar. The clips will be the major expense, from most outlets they are 35 to 55 cents apiece. To build cases for hundreds to over a thousand heads this will break the bank. However the use of clips eases the movement of heads as the collection grows. You can use a wood strip with holes drilled in for the shafts. Then all the shafts have to be the same size and if they are not snug,heads will fall out when the cases are transported.
My cases are hinged and have latches to hold them closed, plus handles for carrying.
When you build the first case think about this: do I   want the other six cases in the future to look the same?

Close up of the groove (left side) for the Plexiglas

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I need to make three (two for BHDs and one for arrows) more of the large double cases and one more of the small cases. Estimated cost is about $300 for all material. I forgot to mention that I installed brass corner caps on all corners. My cases were on display at three events per year for ten years and I knew when I built them they had to endure a bunch of handling.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Raghorn. That is a great display set up.. Great photo's.. Some very nice looking stuff as well..

Cody

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Roghorn - Nice display, great photographs.

The slide in from the top grooves are nice and simple for plexiglass. Gravity is a great guide to get things to fall in place.

How do you cut the plexiglass? I just clamp a 72" long metal straight edge where I want the line and scribe it several times with a plexiglass scribber, then make the controlled break. Takes a few minutes, but works perfect every time.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Cody,

This is another display case with a slide in from the top plexiglass front. It is roughly 3'x6' made from 1x3 Oak for sides and 3/8" plywood back covered with green felt. The large size is great for bows or arrows and gives a lot of flexibility for what can be displayed.

Down side is that they are heavy and cumbersome to transport. Items show up better on an off white or ivory background rather then the green felt.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
This case is the same basic size. As you can see, items show up better with an off white painted background trimmed with stained wood...

There is a bow in the center of the display.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Raghorn..Thanks for the info, nice pics and displays. Great looking collection.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Wade..great pics and displays. Thanks for your info.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
These are some of my oldest cases. Each side is roughly 3'x3' and has a hinged door that has a lock. Very time consuming and expensive to make. A little heavy and awkward to carry and transport. The arrow clip arrangement inside is very poor. I should be beaten for not improving this before now.

First the clips should be on a 3/8" thick wood strip so the 4 blade heads do not have to be turned at an angle and sometimes angled forward.

Second the 1-1/2" spacing between clips should be staggered between rows to permit the longest heads to protrude into the space above.

Several of these old cases still need to be changed over to have the staggered clip arrangement, which is an improvement that has become widely accepted within the past 20 odd years.

The hinged door wastes a lot of space around the edges. The legs also waste space at the bottom. Another row could be added by eliminating the door and expanding the case to the bottom.

As you can see in comparing these cases to Raghorn's, his cases utilize the same space far more effectively.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
These are a couple of arrow cases, exactly 36" x 36" x 2-3/4". Made from 1/2" thick oak with 1/4" thick plywood back. The 1-1/2" wide oak strip for the arrow clips provides a lot of additional strength. These cases are surprisingly light weight and strong!!!

Arrows are spaced at 1-1/2" but could probably be moved to 1-1/4" without being crowded.

Actually 34" width will accommodate most arrows so cutting a couple of inches off the side and adding it to the top and closing in the spacing could increase the capacity from 23 to 30 arrows and still have a very strong and light weight arrow case.

The plexiglass screws to the front (sorry no logical explanation comes to mind to justify why I did that). This could be improved with Raghorn's slide in from the top slots. The depth could probably be decreased from 2-3/4" to 2-1/2 or a bit less.  

Each arrow has a small number on a sticker that corresponds to the description written on the 6"x7" paper in the center of the display. This is great for the display but down side is that the text needs changed and the 6"x7" paper needs to be replaced every time an arrow changes position...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Bow display cases are a little easier to make than broadhead cases. Accepted width is 24", depth is usual 2" and height is what ever is needed for the bow length. Back is light weight material that can be drilled into to accommodate holes for secure bows to felt back. Hinges and clasps complete the set up. Haven't come up with a good way to make a plexiglass cover. Slide from top can be a pain with so much length. Have thought of side in from the side but have not tried it yet. Maybe some one has a better idea...

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Wade-I really liked your display cases you had at Compton a few years ago.Looked like bowcases lying on a table opened up with plexi-glass over them.Made a nice   display but kept hands out of the items displayed.How did you put the plexi-glass in those,I can't remember but I like the idea.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Ron and Wade, thanks for your input on Cody's question.  It sure eliminates a bunch of  guesswork for the rest of us.  

When I can finally fill up one case I'll know how to make it  ;)

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Looking really good guy's!! I just started collecting BH's so I was wondering the same thing as Cody. I think we have some great ideas now to get started on displaying them. Thanks..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Guys, where can I get some arrows clips for the inside of my diplay case ?..
Also this may be a bit over the top but I was thinking about putting a small ligth inside the display case. I didnt know if any of you guys have done that and didnt know how it worked out..

Cody

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©