INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How did you make your broadhead display cases ?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How did you make your broadhead display cases ?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
John - Yes, the idea was good but the functionally of my pathetic design proved to be a nightmare. Those 2004-05, 2'x6' horizontal bow cases that were set on tables were an experiment that proved what not to do with plexiglass covers on any display case...

I grooved the edges (like Raghorn's cases) but made the plexiglass slide in from the side for the whole 6' length.... big mistake... It would be far better to have the plexiglass slide in from the top (or the long edge).

I never stained or finished the cases as I never cared for them because the long slide in plexiglass was a pain. If a guy never opened them they would probably be just fine.

All of the displays in these 4 cases need to be updated and rearranged so I may just completely empty them and rebuild them into cases that are better suited to frequent opening...

Now of course if you want to make me an offer on all 4 of them... I could always just start over and build some new ones from scratch...

Maybe someone else has a better idea about how to cover a 2'x6' case with plexiglass... then the simple slide in from the top method...

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Cody - Raghorn can probably tell you the best place to find arrow clips today. It has been many years since I bought any arrow clips.

I like the large arrow clips. They are more expensive but will work great for any size shaft. The smaller less expensive ones jut don't work for all size shafts.

The small ones also have sharp edges that scrape paint off of arrows and make knuckles bleed. Those sharp edges are a real pain...

If anyone likes the small ones, I just found 244 small ones, that I would be happy to trade for large ones.

Let me know how you want to trade, 3 small ones for 1 large one... or what ever sounds good to you.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks Wade, I will wait to see what Raghorn has to say..

Best,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Wade, If I do use the felt do you glue it down to your back of your display board ?... Also would plywood be better then OSB board ?..

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Cody, the last time I bought it was from Larry Whiffen, check with him at  [email protected]

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Cody:
If you plan on moving your cases- like to Compton or wherever the ABCC annual meet is at- then you need to think about weight. Masonite or panel board is plenty strong since it will be screwed around the edges and all the horizontal/vertical strips are also screwed to the back. I used white formica-like finished panels, I think these were designed for bathroom use? Mine are set into a routed recess in the back inside edge to the panel is flat. The light seems like a good idea but remember that it shines from only one direction, will it light the whole case?
Perhaps another idea is to have spot light/track lites.
If you use felt you can use spray adhesive on the board then lay the felt down.
Clips....you can do a search of the internet but this can be frustrating. Possibly the correct name is cabinet clap, door clip. Or you could see what price you can get from 3Rivers if you buy 500to 1000. Remember I said these large clips run from 35 cents to 55 cents apiece? However, Wade's point about the sharp edges on the 5/16 clips( on the left in his photo) is correct. The large clip also has a range of adjustment depending on how tight the mounting screw is.
The smaller clip is about 15 cents each then you have to buy the screws. Email me as to where to purchase  the small clips.
Here's the backside of my case.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Cabinet door clips, why didn't I think of that. I will check out some catalog sources and find out bulk prices.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Cody - I just squirt out Elmer's glue on the plywood, then smear it around with a putty knife and set the felt in place by smoothing it out, starting at one corner. Raghorn's spray on adhesive probably does a more consistent job.

This is one of the cases I made in 2008, 42" tall x 34" wide. Each side splits in the middle. Made from Oak, very heavy, a bit expensive and time consuming to make. Not very tough. Easy to get into each side with lockable door. Yellow felt shows off heads but a bit flashy to the point that it almost takes away from the contents of the case. 34" wide near ideal for arrow display. The case is a mess because it is my traders and never stays full very long.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Wade, I do like that display case.. That is what I been thinking as it would be all in one and not two or three display cases taking up room..

Where do you buy your felt from ?..

Best,

Cody

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Nice show Wade,How about some new cases, But you would have to know someone with a sawmill LOL
Frank

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
Cody - I buy the felt from a local fabric store.

Actually I don't care much for felt as a background in a display case, far to flashy for my very primitative tastes.

My preference is a simple burlap background painted ivory or paraffin. Some texture with the elegance of old museum quality.

Frank - You'll have to give me a quote for some nice boards for a new batch of display cases.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Thanks Wade, I didnt even think about buying it from a fabric store...

Wade can you get burlap from a fabric store ?...

As I am thinking burlap feed bags..

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
Cody - Burlap from a fabric store is in a roll just like other fabrics. Just smear glue on the back and stick on burlap and let dry for at least a day before painting. Would guess a burlap feed sack would work just fine if it is large enough. If you have to use more than one feed sack, seams may be able to be hidden by the wooden strips for clips.

Depending on the paint, it may take 2 or 3 coats for the burlap as the fabric soaks up the liquid. Paint your strips for the clips the same color as the burlap before installing the clips, then screw the slips to the back.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »
Thanks Wade, I going to get a start making it later tomorrow some time..I have the side boards and the back board.. I just need arrows clips, and fabric and glass.. Do you guys think adding a light inside would be over the top ?.. As I been thinking of adding one.. I think I will copy your dipplay Wade The one where your arrows are on one side and your heads are on the other..

Thanks for the help guys,

Cody

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Cody - If you the make the cases 34" x 42" x 2" or 3" deep a light inside the case may not do a lot of good. Really can't say for sure. Have seen hundreds of 2" or 3" deep broadhead display cases but don't remember any with a light inside. Some of the much deeper rotating cases have lights, something like you would see at a jewelry store display.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Cody -

You can just paint the back of your display white which is the easiest and certainly one of the best ways to do make a display. I renovated this display case by removing all the clips and painting the boards with white paint. The case was one of five of Floyd's original broadhead and arrow displays. Nice to look at but the items are not covered with glass so I use it for fish points now...

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Cody, you have been bitten by that dreaded broadhead collecting bug, remember we did try warn you that its addicting....Good luck with your collecting.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Ron-LOL Yes my friend I been bitten hard by the collecting bug.. But like my dad tells me I could be sending that money on other things ( I sure you guys know what he talking about) But as you all know I love the archery History.  

Wade, I was thinking would just taking  white drawing paper work as well or look good at all and I have to do is glue it to the back board ?.. Or would painting look better ???..

Cody

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Cody - White paint would be better than drawing paper as the paper would probably get punctured and cut from the broadheads as well as getting dirty from the oil and dirt on the heads. Paint cleans up a lot easier than paper.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I haven't had any luck finding any info on the cabinet door clips. All the sources on the internet so far do not show the old style door clips  :banghead:  

Will pass on any info I find.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©