INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: safety glasses  (Read 747 times)

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
safety glasses
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Just a heads up for you vintage boe collectors. I was checking the draw weight on a vintage recurve this evening with a hand held bow scale. Done this a hundred times before. At 28 inches of draw and 63 pounds the bow exploded. It sounded like a gun went off. I have had old bows explode before but usually when I was stringing them. Anyhow, the lower limb took out my left wrist with a deep gash and proceeded to smack me on the right side of my face. It happened in an instant. Missed my right eye by an inch. In the future I will wear safety glasses when I do this. It only takes one time to cause major damage to your person. Thought I would share this so nobody else has an incident. The bow looked good with no obvious stress and I was as shocked as my wife when it exploded. She ran downstairs to see what happened. Take care with these vintage bows guys.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: safety glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
That does scare the crap out of ya for sure. Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Drew back a 1957 Kodiak for the first time and BLAM-O!
Glad you are okay.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
wadde..glad you are ok. Thanks for the heads up.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Glad you're okay Steve.  

Was that the first time you drew that particular bow?  

Scarry stuff.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
I have seen an old magnesium A-handle blow up on a friend with the same sound.A loud "BANG",parts and limbs flying all over and a nice,deep gash on his forehead from a limb.
 I was injured several years ago myself,not by a bow blowing up but by having my hand slip off of the upper limb while unstringing it.It was a Grayling wooden A-riser.It gave me a whole new respect for the amount of power and damage one of these "old" bows can inflict.There is a tremendous amount of stored energy in those limbs when strung and when something goes wrong,you had better hope your not on the receiving end.Wish I had safety glasses on that day,darn near took my eye out.Glad you're alright.

By the way,this photo was taken the day after my accident,after the swelling went down.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Ouch, that is not purty at all. Glad you both did not get hurt worse.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Hormoan- I know it's not a pretty picture but I try to post it whenever the subject comes up.If it grosses people out,all the better.I feel it's worth the shock value if it prevents even one person from having an accident like mine that could have been prevented and could turn out much worse.I now only use a stringer when stringing or unstringing my bow.I know alot of guys still use the old push-pull method and may never have an accident but it only happened once to me and I won't let it happen again.I may not be so lucky next time and I like having two eyes,looking out of one was not fun.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
:scared:   Dang, that's as dangerous as those Red Ryder BB guns.   :eek:
Lon Scott

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I did the same thing using the push and pull method. I ended up with a cracked cheek bone and wore the bruised image of the limb for two weeks.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Ouch John!!!!!

I've been told by the local archers around here that a member of the local club was killed in the late 70s while using the push and pull method.  Apparently the upper limb tip penetrated his skull resulting in death.

Watched quite a few magnesium riser compounds blow up in the 80s.  Usually they'd shear off right above the grip.

Use a stringer.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
god that is funny.Yeah I know you all think I'am one twisted dude laughing at poor Johnnyboy getting one hell of a shinner huh ? Sure I'am laughing because Johnnyboy knows what bow stringers are for ? bow stringers are for not poking you friggen eye ball out huh John ? Tell the truth you know you screwed up there huh ? bow stringers are good.
last summer I had a bow blow and bouts knocked the crap out of me.But that can happen sometimes and like John said theres are lot of energy stored in those limbs.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
and then.bd            

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
All of them bows in the pics are broken some of those bows were damaged in other ways.However some did blow during shooting.Like that 1962 52# blew the botton limb.Those Tamerlanes both blew up during a flite shoot.bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Hey Bowdoc,Thanks for laughing at my mishap.You sure know how to make a guy feel good about screwing up,and yes I do know what a bowstringer is for I just make sure and use one now.
 Mullett-You know exactly what I'm talkin' about then.I ended up fracturing my orbital(eye socket) as well.Not something to be taken lightly.
 Trap-I wouldn't doubt that a guy got killed by a bow in this manner.When this subject came up years ago when I first had my accident,I heard all kinds of horror stories worse than mine.Guys getting knocked out cold,jaws broken,eyes gone,cracked skulls,you name it.If something so simple as a bowstringer can help prevent this it's worth it.I think in my case safety glasses might have helped but probably not a few of the others that have been mentioned.
 Respect the bow grasshopper.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Now, somebody tell me how to string my new '55, 68" KS with a stringer. The curves are so deep, it took me and my wife to drop the string in the groove with a stringer.

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
For thin tips where the stringer pocket covers up the nock groove, I stuff a foam earplug in the pocket. It raises the pocket enough to slide the string loop on easier.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Stringers are the way to go, but make sure you check the stringer before you use it.  I had one break on me while stringing an old 50# Pearson Colt, and the limb kicked up and hit the bridge of my right eye with the tip.  Hurt like all get-out, and gave me a nice shiner to explain!  

RonP

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Mullet
My wife shoots a 55 kodiak special, no problem using a stringer. I have had to make a stringers for some of my funkier longbows. What I did was use a pice of cargo strapping about 1 foot longer than the bow. Then I sewed a pocket in each end so it would slip over the tips but not the string groove. I sent the stringers out with the bows they were made for. Never go without one!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Push-pull is for longbows only. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER push-pull a recurve.

When I brace or unbrace my longbows, my head is turned to the side and I do it by feel. On the stronger ones, I use a stringer.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Rich- For some reason I have a feeling that a helmet,goggles,and athletic protector is all you wear when stringing a bow or when you're just kickin' it at the house.Why is that?I hardly know you but that's the image I have burned into my mind.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©