INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Old arrow help....  (Read 513 times)

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
Old arrow help....
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Several years ago while at a 3-D shoot, I bought this box of 10 arrows. They are in a box that says "Tru-Flight" and they all have old Bear broadheds on them with bleeder blades. They have never been shot and are in excellent condition except I had to remove the plastic vanes as they had dry rotted.
I am not sure what spine they are but I bought some feathers to put on them and would like to hunt with them. They say Gilmore 9 on them.
I used a 3 Rivers fletching removal tool and there is a little leftover glue on the shafts. What should I use to remove the glue? When I put the new feathers on them what type of preparation should I do to these shafts and what glue works best for these king of arrows?
Here are some pictures:

I got these for a whopping $20.  :)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old arrow help....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
To remove the bit of glue left from fletches I just use a knife held vertical and scrape lightly. Wear glasses as pieces will be flying.
Scrub with water and Comet/Ajex cleanser and rinse and dry well.
This #9 should be good for 55# to 65#.
Real nice find, the Razorheads alone are worth twice that!

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old arrow help....
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Ron, I did like you said with one of the arrows and the arrow cleaned up real nice. I then sprayed black paint as a cap and put on 2 red barred feathers and one gray barred feather with Gorilla Super Glue. It looks real nice but after it was said and done I realized that I used an enamel paint and not a lacquer. I assume that is a no-no?  :confused:  
I just took it out and shot it out of my 52lb. Stotler and it flew great!    :D    
I haven't shot Bear broadheads since I was a kid in the 70's. The steel in the old ones must be kind of soft because I just did a little sharpening on one of them and it was scary sharp in no time! I really like them!    :readit:        :)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©