INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Old Bear Cub date?  (Read 332 times)

Offline BBK41ND

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Bear Cub date?
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Once again I've come across a old Bear bow and would like the expert advice on what year it is with only a description? O.K here goes ,Bear Cub ,black and gray glass ,62", serial # SW50 ,47# ,Leather handle right handed with a wooden wedge for arrow shelf.I picked it up figuring it was in such good shape maybe I could use it later for trading.Thanks for all your help Harry
the older I get ,the better I was

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Bear Cub date?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
1955 semi-recurve.  Standing Bear decal on the back, Cub decal on the belly.  The silkscreens started in '56 and it was a cut in shelf.  I've owned '55s 56's and '57s.

Looks like this right? (The finish on this one was severely yellowed making the grey glass look pea green)

>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline BBK41ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Jeremy,It has different silk screens but not a cut in shelf.The shelf is a wood wedge under the leather handle.the silksceens are Bear glass powered Cub on the upper limb ,and the standing bear circled by  "Bear Archery Company Grayling Michigan".Could it be a early 56 or a late 55? Also how were they as far as shooters?Thanks for your time Harry

Offline BBK41ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I also read on this forum about a 60 panda with a removable wedge for a shooting shelf.Maybe this is one also?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
The '60 panda is a completly different profile and is shorter.  It also doesn't have a wedge, just a little plastic rod that slips through the bow.

Sounds like you have later '55 or early '56 Cub.  I'm having issues replying to emails right now (?!) sending you PM with my email addy for those pics  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©