INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: bear grizzly static tip  (Read 475 times)

Offline Vintage45

• Trad Bowhunter
bear grizzly static tip
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I have a dual shelf static tip grizzly a friend wants me to make a string for. Can anyone give an idea when this was made and the brace height for it. Also it has some vertical stress cracks running down the back of the limbs. I can feel these with my thumb nail, would this bow be safe to shoot. Thanks Marty

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear grizzly static tip
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Some of those early ones made around 1950 or so had that cross directional fiberglass and aluminum on the back of the limbs.  Shooting them is generally considered not a good idea, but if you post some pics, I bet we can tell you what you have.
Lon Scott

Offline Vintage45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »
Lon, I'm computer illiteret and have no idea how to post pics. I feel lucky to be able to type this. Marty

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Vintage45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Phil, thanks for the link. I'm sure now it's a 1954. Now if some one knows th BH and if the stress cracks were safe i'll be all set Marty

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Marty I'am just going to guess but I'am going to guess she's a shooter.Inspect the bow for breaks in the fiberglass and or corewood.If its fairly clean I would brace the bow and make sure nothing pops up them.If all's well grab some arrows and enjoy.bd

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I was brought up on old military rifles.  We would tie the rifle to a tire and tie a string to the trigger and hide behind a tree, and then pull the string.  If the rifle held together after a few shots, we'd shoot it.  Same thing with an old bow.  Put it on a bracket of some sort, stand back a few feet, and pull the string to about your draw length.  Listen for strange noises.  Do it several times.  If it holds together and you don't hear cracks and pops, go for it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
A rope and a pulley is the safest way to go. That's what I use tillering bows. It's cool when they blow, you don't get hit with shrapnel.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©