INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Any Info on Blackhawk Archery Bows?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Info on Blackhawk Archery Bows?
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
I bought a nice Blachawk archery, #44 @28,66" target bow, looks like a bear Tamerlane. It has the Gold target sight on the back of the bow, riser is Golden Osage and Phenolic, along with Phenolic and Yellow Glass on limb and limb tips, beautiful well made bow, Phenolic, osage and yellow glass on face of the bow, on belly and limb butts. Did a barter deal at an antique mall, traded about$40 labor on gun  repair for the dealer, also bought a Indian Seneca,#40,58", birdseye bubinga, dark, green glass both sides. I ended up with about $60 in labor, no parts, just general gun repair for the 2 bows. How did I do. Cmon George Stout, I know you have some good info.
samuel koger

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Info on Blackhawk Archery Bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
The Black Hawk line of bows was made by Cravotta Brothers of E. Mckeesport, PA from the 1950's to the 1970's or early 80's... and are no longer in business.

They also sold lots of archery accessories, such as leather quivers, taper tools, and such.

Their bows, commonly named after insects (bee, hornet, yellow jacket, scorpion, etc) are pretty good shooters of average quality and can be found (usually on auction sites) at reasonably low prices. They were even low to moderate in price during their production years...and quality was pretty good.

Some of their bows can be dated depending on serial # in that they used the first digit(s) to indicate the month and the next digits indicate year.  Example: bow with serial # of A563 means bow was made in May of 1963.  

Most folks tend to go with Bear, Pearson, Wing, Howatt, etc., but there are a few collectors out there that favor this bow. I think they look pretty good and shoot very well.
Lon Scott

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
What Lon said, Sam.                  Grant

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback. I tuned the bow, moved the nock, tried some different arrows, got her to shooting straight. Has original rug and plate looks brand new. The model was the Apollo, according to the #'s, was made in may of 1964. Has nicely tapered limbs, great looking tips. Lat 4 shots at 40 yds was in about a nice round 5" circle in the bullseye. I had to string walk a little at that distance, but was pleased with how the bow performed.
samuel koger

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Lon, i have got BlackHawk Bee serial numbers as followed   91461  B-412 45@28, you think its a 1961? non the less your right its a 66" very smooth with very little hand shock,  thanks guys for the imput, will be leaving with the Bow Doc on the middle of next week,,, Im going to attemp to knock down some big game with the "60", made by the bowdoc, it was made from a guy in eastern Washington, Mr Russo gave the doc a kitchen table made of hardrock maple,So doc made a prototype called the 60, from the table, the bow kicks a$$ and also a takedown, best of luck to all in the quest for big game in sept....Happy hunting//Warberg

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I have a couple, and my father shot their bows for years. I have 45lb short bee that is not so short performance.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©