INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Are All Archery Collectors OLD?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
Are All Archery Collectors OLD?
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Just in case you weren’t feeling old enough today…

Consider that the young archers who are starting college this year were born in 1991.

That, by the way, is nearly 90 years after Fred Bear was born.

Those college freshman are likely too young to know the names Nels Grumley, Charley Kroll or  even Frank Scott.

Their lifetime has always included bows with cables and cams.

The Bear Razorhead was introduced 35 years before they took their first breath.

The all-phenolic Super Kodiak burst onto the archery scene 42 years before they graduated from high school.

The vaulted 1959 Bear Kodiak appeared and was then was gone nearly five decades before they became teenagers

They have always had Cabela’s.

Strangely enough, they think a Static Recurve is a rock group, Glen St. Charles is a blues singer and Grayling refers to a fish.

For them, arrow shafts are carbon, and almost always have been.

They’ve never used a bowstringer, and are pretty sure that the step-through method is a dance move.

They also believe that a KII is a mountain in the Himalayas.

The bottom line is that these kids mostly never walked down a wooded lane carpeted with fallen oak and maple leaves and thought about a man in a Borsalino hat.

I’d say that they’re all damn lucky to have guys like Case, Parker, Eccleston, Reader, Whiffen, Phillips, Dickerson, Hopkins and so many others who have worked so hard to collect and preserve the history and artifacts of archery and bowhunting.

Just maybe they’ll learn in college that to fully understand and appreciate where things are today, they must dive into the past.

But in the mean time, these whippersnappers – including my own grown kids who keep wondering what all these old bows and backquivers are on the walls - are making me feel decidedly old.

This TradGang forum, thankfully, is making me feel younger or at least useful.

How about you?

Bill Krenz
Colorado

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are All Archery Collectors OLD?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Nice bow Bill.. Great photo

Nels Grumley- Bears first master bower.
Charley Kroll - Fred hunting buddy. and worked at Bear..
Frank Scott- Sarted working for Bear back in the early days of Bear archery And became  director of the Fred Bear Museum in Gainesville..

I am sure I could add more about these man.. But I will let some of the younger guys fill where I left off at....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Bill,

Well said.

You made me feel like an over the hill, retired old fart on Social Security. Come to think of it, that's what I am...

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Excellent post Bill!

Yeah, I'm old...I think.  When I was born, Harry Truman was President and Fred Bear was just getting ready to move into his new factory in Grayling.

Not only that, but I was born the same year as...

...and that was 1947.  

Hey...I think I'm eligible for social security.
Lon Scott

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Bill..had a conversation just recently with a couple of younger bowhunters at work. They had never seen nor heard of any of the old broadheads, including Bear, Howard Hill, etc.

Held a little show and tell today. Took in Wades first edition of " Broadheads 1871 - 1971 ". Will take in a few of my heads for hands on.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Cody,
 Charlie Kroll wasn't just a hunting buddy, Also Fred's son in law. I had the privelage to talk and shoot with him at our TBOF 3-D tournament a few times.

A really personable gentleman, and very willing to answer questions and sign memorabilia. I'll miss him.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Being the oldest of four boys, I take my share of crap, and have earned the distinction of being as old as dirt in their eyes. What they don't know is I found the fountain of youth.

I have met both Howard Hill, Fred Bear and bought many bows from Glenn St. Charles. I feel better for having known them all.

K2 is the second highest peak in the world, and may be one of the most difficult to climb. I was a kid when my dad told me how his friend and co-worker, Pete Schoening saved six men from certain death on the mountain. The Belay is written about.

I remember when Jennings brought put the wheels on a thing they called a compound. Regardless of how it captured the attention of archers and bowhunters, it nearly caused the demise of a number of traditional companies.

Unfortunately, many people have not discovered the real enjoyment found in traditional archery. It may be the single reason why the new generation is unaware of the history in the sport, Pope & Young, Compton and all that followed. It is like living in the United States without understanding the history of the country.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I'm younger than the majority of my bows.  I guess that makes me old.

RonP

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
When I was six my fathers friend gave me a very used metal riser recurve (man was that an ugly bow), and a hand full of missmatched arrows. I had fun with that bow even though the bottom limb hit the ground most of the time I shot it. Alot was going on the world of archery during those days, many of the guys at the local archery club were already shooting jennings compounds. My first compound was a bear youth model. Looking back I can remember standing on the line of the indoor range and seeing a variety of bows, both wheels and curved limbs (I don't recall any longbows)! Soon the recuves became seen less at the shoots I participated in, and everyone fell victim to technology! Well as often in life things have come full circle for this almost 40 year old man. I returned to traditional gear about 10 years ago, went through a gamit of bows, and now I intend on hunting with a 65K, or an older K-mag. My son is 5 and he shoots a 69 little bear! I have enoough lighter bears to keep him in bows through adulthood. I imagine some day that he will go to wheels, but I hope to give him the tools needed to come full circle someday, and keep the tradition alive!

As long as there are places like this on the net my son will know the likes of greats. I learn here everyday, as I'm sure others do. It will get passed down.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
If being born before D-Day makes you old I guess I'm old.  However I did get to live through the "Golden Age" of archery and enjoyed every minute of it.

Quick story.  Last night I finally got my daughter to bring my two oldest grandsons 9 and 7 up to shoot an evening 3-D round they have on Thursdays.  I've been teaching them to shoot since March.  Almost everyone was shooting tradional equipment except for one guy with a hi tech compound.  They asked me about the guy with the "weird" bow.  Priceless.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Damn, you're right Bill. I sent my youngest off to college at 6:00 A.M. this morning and felt like a dinosaur. He was born in 1990. He has never shot a compound and has my minuscule collection in his room/museum. I guess I agree with Wade, but I'm still confused about how fast I reached "geezer" status. But I gotta say, we were the lucky ones. We saw Fred Bear on Sunday afternoon and the new batch hit the hardware store; how could it have been better?      GY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
I always figured I'd love to be a fly on the wall about 100 years from today when someone finds all the trad info in the anals of archery cyber space and says who in the hell were these guy's.bd  

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
In the venacular of some of my youngest son's buddys...."DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!" (Hey, the cornbelt runs a bit behind the rest of the country!).

Yep...Some of my family don't even KNOW what "older than dirt" means but it seems to be directed at yours truly, lol!

I don't have a Fred signed anything, My FIRST ex-wifey burnt my photos of him and I shaking hands. You think YOU married a "b*tch"? (no offense to your better half intended)

My deer hunting nephew's shake their heads looking at my bows and they aren't even "old", just 60's stuff. Yish.

They asked me if my micro-flites and Kodiak Supreme arrows were "something new on the market" then asked why the H I would shoot something that heavy when picking one up. The Herter's Farbenglass tipped with a Magnum two blade had them nervously looking at each other wondering if "Unk" had lost it.

I was showing them my newly acquired 67 1/2 Super K with pride and joy in my voice but saw one rolling his eyes in the mirror.

Doc says my bod's got parts too old to work but my driver's license says I'm not eligible for SS yet.....you wanna feel old and out to pasture? Give that a shot. LOL!

"Time is on your side" no longer applies when you reach this point in our lives but HOT DANG, ain't it fun?

Even with the bleakness of any logical methods to exist till SS can kick in, I am more at peace now with the things that rubbed me raw even a short decade ago.

"Important things" have been swapped for those that really are.

The weight of my bow is less a concern to me than the beauty of the arrow perfectly spinning towards the target (OR DEER, I hope!).

Each season finds the excitement I felt in my very first one returning with renewed vigor.

The importance of the size of the antlers or even if there ARE antlers, somewhere along the line has diminished compared to the importance of a well placed shot at an unspooked animal and a quick demise.

With the current "issues" in my life, the loss of close friends and family, this season is currently being viewed with a vastly improved perspective.

Without knowing if this one, (maybe the next? Who knows?)will be "it", the thump of the bowstring has a sweeter sound and somehow the arrows find their marks a bit more regularly out stumping.

The corn is changing now, a few leaves are falling and already I can see that the "small" things that I used to notice but brush off as simple season changes has taken on a brighter hue.

This fall is my new puppies first fall but in many ways I think him and I will view it and the first snowfall with similar perspectives.

I give thanks for that.

God bless you and yours, to each and every one.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Bill;
Remember what I said about how I feel about people who can get the same thoughts I'm thinking on paper? My respect just went up some more!

That rosewood Kodiak looks familiar. Is that the one I got for you many years ago? My memory gets foggy at times. Can I blame it on the 60s?
I started bowhunting in 1962 with a Bear Alaskan I bought myself at Chippewa Valley Sporting Goods in Eau Claire. I just applied for SS two days ago. Time flies!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
ah yes time flies like an arrow......fruit flies like old banana's.bd

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
Ron, I just started drawing SS last December, time stands still for no man,luckily we have the mistical flight of the arrow and so many bows and elusive broadheads to collect. May you have many more hunting seasons my brother of the bow...

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Bill
Very very well written.My first bow season was 1957 at ago 10 I wish I had all the equipment I have own over the years what a collection I would have.
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Hunted deer the first time with a bow in '62, with a solid fiberglass Bear. There weren't very many deer then, but that didn't matter. I almost saw one! 13 years later I finally killed a spike, with my Ben Pearson Silver Sovereign. It burned in a house fire in '83, along with my wife's Golden and a couple of wheel bows. Replaced them with a Quillian longbow for me, another wheelie for the ex.

I traded for another Pearson last year, and it's set up for hunting this year. Just made some arrows for it this week. I have an old Kodiak that I recently inherited from my brother ($5 yard sale!). It may see some use this year, too. We managed to work the limb twist out.

I don't call myself a collector, but I seem to have accumulated a bunch of old bows anyhow. I think I have 10 at the moment- that's not a real collection, is it? The newest of them is at least 13 years old. The oldest is either the Pearson from the 60's or the Kodiak- I haven't tried to age the Kodiak yet. Or maybe the old self bow I'm afraid to string...

My sons have never shot wheels. They both worked in the Superceder plant with me while in high school, and both were excellent shots. We shot daily on our indoor range in the plant. Shooting our arrows was an employee requirement.    :)   The youngest has given it up, but my oldest will be shooting a 50# Quillian Patriot II this season.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Well, guys....I was born before Pearl Harbor but the only time I feel old is when I try to draw a bow heavier than 45lbs...  I'm like the old bull....I don't run anywhere anymore or jump fences...just stroll along and open gates.
I wish, in my younger yesrs, that I had maintained as fervent an interest in archery as I have now.  But, I didn't and missed out on a lot of fun.  However, I making up for it by correctly indoctrinating my grandchildren into the ways of traditional archery.  That is so satisfying.  Here's a pic from this year's STAR.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I was born after the first man walked on the moon but before Bear standardized stabilizer bushings on their bows. I am not a serious collector by any means but I like the vintage stuff for sure. I often wonder if any of todays bows and archery items will ever be real collector material. For me at least, there has to be some history behind the objects for them to be of interest. This particular forum really triggered the collector in me. If only there was no money issues involved...

Simon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©