INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Super Kodiak identification  (Read 541 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Super Kodiak identification
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I did a search and came up blank. Here's some pictures, some not too good, of the Super Kodiak I inherited from my brother. He bought it in the late '80's at a yard sale for $5.

Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Kodiak identification
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
The pictures are washed out- the white overlays are ivory colored, maybe just from age, because the tip overlays are lighter. There are 4 ugly holes on the back two of which are in the ivory, one on the belly, undoubtedly from a sight mount.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I would say 1970 since it doesn't have a converta-insert in the riser.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
yup,  1970. Great Bow, perfect weight for me.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
1970 Don and one heck of a shooter for 5 bucks.Ask you brother if he'll take 10.bd

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
I concur 1970 and a fine shooter.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. My brother has passed on, so I'm thinking of hunting some with it this year in his memory- he really liked this bow. It had some limb twist when he got it, but we worked it out by back-twisting gently and keeping it strung for a year or more.

bd, I'll pass on that offer on his behalf. I figure it's got to be worth at least $15 by now!    :)   I traded his #70 Bamboo Longhunter (too much for me these days) in a deal for a Dean Torges bow, but I think I'll hold on to this one. At 60" it's shorter than I prefer, but it shoots very nicely. He never shot a deer with it- I'd like to do that for him.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Great way to honor his memory, Don
 :archer:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
heck yes what and honor it would be for you to arrow a critter with it.Super good shooters I just paid 350.00 for a 1969 64" but only 40#'s little lighter then I like but what a nail driver it is.Well that would be in the hands of someone who could drive nails.Enjoy that Super bd

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Can anyone identify the riser woods? I'm pretty good on domestic stuff, but I've never learned the exotics, if that's the case. The light lines on the edges of the growth rings remind me of stained maple.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Don, nice looking bow and the personal attachment makes it priceless. I have my Dad's old grizzly here and I feel the same way about it.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
you got that correct Don stained maple is just what it is.Epoxy impregnated hard rock maple.bd

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks, bd. I like maple. I'm used to looking at raw wood rather than finished, so I wasn't sure.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
I just went out and tuned up the old relic. It was braced at 8 1/2", which seemed high, so I lowered it to 8" to start. Got out my bare-shafting kit. On the first shot it sounded like it had pots and pans hanging on it, so I increased the fistmele, and worked it back up to 8 1/2 before it quieted down. Still needs some silencing, but I didn't go any higher. The nocking point was high, so I lowered it until I thought it might start rebounding off the shelf, but it finally leveled out.

After getting the nocking point set, the 70-75# 28" bare shafts I started with were badly nock left. When I got to 80-85's I could see nothing but the nocks in the target! I was surprized at the spine it needed.

I went through a bunch of finished arrows and found a set of 29's with a .310 deflection (85#), and figured they would be good for testing with fletching. I got some kick on the first few shots, so I turned cock feather in, and they shot perfectly. I moved back to 60 yards to check cast, and with the point on the target, it shot over! The third shot, holding a little lower, was in the gold.

I am truly impressed with the smoothness and cast of this Super Kodiak. I will hunt with it for sure! Wish I'd payed attention to it sooner.

Not too shabby, for a $5 yard sale bow!

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Very nice Don, good luck with it this fall    :thumbsup:  

My condolences on the loss of your brother, I am glad you can in a way take him with you this fall.    :campfire:

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
It's a '70. Flat coin, no stabilizer hole. Nice price !

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone- brother Bill would be proud, I know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©