3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goldtip rear-end weight aesthetics?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Goldtip rear-end weight aesthetics?
« on: December 07, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Greetings!

Can the shiny little steel weight / nock adaptor that is used to add weights at the tail-end of a Goldtip arrow be covered with an arrow wrap? Or does it have to stay uncovered?

Thanks, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goldtip rear-end weight aesthetics?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I cover mine with a wrap and have no problems
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Thank you, Sir! I think I'll do the same. Cheers!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
I spent the better part of the month of August experimenting/tuning 5575 GT traditionals out of my Black Widow Recurve and Longbow. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that it is in fact possible to achieve PERFECT bare shaft performance from your GTs by just adding/subtracting weight to the front end of the shaft. Why involve yourself with rear weight adaptors and weights if it is NOT necessary? Archers have been tuning bare shafts for decades without worrying about adding weight to the nock end.

KIS- Keep it simple...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Shooting heavy bows, especially recurves, requires this in order to keep the total weight above 8 grains per pound for warranty (as well as for "oomph!"). Otherwise, I agree, that with deer / goat bows, one doesn't need to fiddle at the nock end.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »
Ben:

This is most definitely a personal thing. As long as your arrows are flying well, there's literally an infinite number of ways to tune your arrow to your bow.

I don't know what your setup is, but I'm presently shooting 590g GTs out of my recurve and the SAME GTs out of my longbow. But I have to add 40 grains to the GTs to shoot them from the longbow. Both bows are 52.5#s at my 28.5" draw (Arrows are cut to 29.5"). My 5575 GT arrows weigh 11.2g and 12g per pound respectively and fly flawlessly.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
I shooy 5575 out of my 75# longbow with 285gr up front and they fly perfect.
hunt it

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks, fellows!

I'm starting to think about arrow set-up for my Silvertip TD recurve that's arriving in April; it's going to be 80 at 28, plus or minus two, and I draw 29.

In order to get a carbon arrow of between 700 and 800 grains, I can think of these options:
- Grizzlystik Safaris, just as they are.
- GT 75/95s with rear-end weights to increase stiffness when 300 or so grains gets put up-front.
- GT 75/95s or CX350s with lighter loads up front and weight tubes down the shaft.
- The GT BG100 is also an option, using either weight tubes or tail-end weights.

Has anyone got any other carbon suggestions? Maybe I should make another thread, but I'd like to ask the fellows who already shoot heavy, cut-past-centre recurves, what they use.

Cheers, and thank you for your help (it's months away, but one needs to prepare for these events)!

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
I agree with Labs- the rear wt. is a pain- just work with the point end.  I now have a 5575 arrow with 250gr. up front out of 55# 31" draw widow recurve. . . I can bare shaft out past 30 yds with no problem- perfect flying shaft as far as I can tell.  I have never had a better set-up.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
I know I could also build the strike-plate (is that the word?) up to take any slack out of a standard front-loaded carbon. But I'd like to keep it as close to centre as possible...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
I suppose what got me thinking about this is that out of my newly-aquired, and absolutely wonderful Black Widow SAIII, 68@28, and drawing 29, my 30" CX350s front-loaded with 225 grains fly just a whisker too weak, which I'm fine with, as many people leave it this way on account of the fletching they'll add. This arrow weighs in at 625 grains. So, that got me thinking about the required carbon for April's camel-frightener!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Ben,

I recommend no less than 800grs arrows for 80#. I use goldtips with weights on both extremes with excellent results and perfect bare shaft tuning. I also put coaxial cable inside for heavier arrows and excellent penetration too.
Don't be afraid to use the nock adapters, you can cover them with the wrap, or just tape of the same color as the wrap if you want to add different weights later and don't mess the wrap. Also there's a wrench to install the weights from the other extreme. In my opinion, it doesn't look bad if you leave the adapters bare.
800 grain arrow: 75/95 goldtip + 200 grain point + nock adapter/point insert + 220 grain weights (100 on the nock, 120 on the point.
I practice out to 70 yards and it works for me.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Excellent! Thanks, José!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
i shoot 5575s 175 tip with 70g weights behind the front they weigh 600.  all i have to do to swithch to my heavyer bow is put 70 more up front and 50 in back, comon sense says that the spine would still be weakend by the greater up front weight but they fly great and im shure they hit plenty hard.  720gr uper 70s bow.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Ben,

I believe Beeman offers a HEAVY hunting carbon shaft referred to as the MFX. Try Googling Beeman.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Thanks, Labs, I'll have a look. Cheers!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
The reason I use the weight in the back is I can build 600gr arrows for my 60lb bow that are shorter . 55/70s @ 30" with weight in front or 35/55s @ 28" with weight front and back. I just didn't want that much arrow hanging out front with my 27" draw.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©