INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knock off Bear Knife Kit  (Read 1586 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Knock off Bear Knife Kit
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Does anyone make a knock off? If not I'm thinking about commisioning a knife maker to duplicate me one..Has anyone else done this? thanks
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knock off Bear Knife Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
After seeing and reading the thread about these I too would be interested in seeing what is out there.  Anyone????
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Hi Guys,
It so happens I am getting together the components to build kits which would be similar but not identical to the Bear Archery kits. I will use Western 648 fixed blade knife that Bear used as well as norton carbo hone stones and a broadhead file (fine mill basterd cut).

I know there will be some differences (ie size of stone, color of leathers, file handles etc.) I will try to faithfully copy the Bear Set, but it will not be identical in every respect.

I will be forced to use vintage(read Used) Western Knives, as Western Knife is no more. but I have enough materials to make three sets as of now. I will  be starting with in the next week. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

I did make up a set of my own creation  many years ago. It is shown on the "Bowhunters Kit" Thread. Used a Westcut Knife, diamond lap hone stick and a file with an antler handle. Check it out!

Thanks,
Harry.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Harry,

You did a super job on the sheath in the set you made with the Westcut Knife... I am impressed with the quality of the leather, your forming of the leather and your stitching... Very professional...   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=001473;p=2#000016  

If you want, I would be happy to send you an original plastic file handle for you to use as a template in making your reproduction file handles. Just let me know your mailing address and I'll get it right out to you.

Also be sure to let me now if there is anything you can think of that I may be able to help you out with such as information or original samples.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Would be nice to have one of the first kits with a Marbles Sport Knife, would make a great working knife for the kit, but alittle wider handle & blade on this knife but all around nicer to use.

I'd take two for sure.........Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Wade,
I would like to get a look at that file handle! I am not sure if i would try to resin mold one or just use the material I have on hand, antler or possibly some osage or tiger maple. I would like to make it near the orginal size though!

I was impressed with Bowdoc's version of the file handle! Very creative.
I'll PM you  with my address.
Harry.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
JavalinaHink,
You are on the list. I'll post pics when I get the first one completed. (it's already spoken for!)I'll Be in touch via PM soon. We'll see if I can find a Marbles sport Knife.
Thanks,
Harry

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Harry,

Sent you the Bear file handle today. Let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help you with.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Harry, I liked your kit as well on the thread Wade references above.

After doing one of my own a while back I have a real appreciation for the talent it takes to properly stitch leather.  

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Here's mine, now don't laugh, I'm a beginner.   :bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Wade.......your mail is full....Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Daryl- that's a real, real nice first effort. Bowdoc and I are talking about collaborating on a limited number of these things as well. Moose Rancich has Fred's last kit and has pictures of it on his Fred Bear/ Frank Scott page. If we make a few, they'll be copies of it. You know, Mr. Bear's start in archery was through leather products that he made himself- at least initially- and his kit is a little different than the production model. Moose's page is definitely worth a look.     Grant

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Trap - That is really a nice looking sheath. Far better than anything I could ever hope to put together. I don't know what your experience is with the Western 648, but I have found them to be incapable of holding an edge beyond the point of cutting the notches in my tag immediately after killing an animal. Would be nice if the blade could be replaced with one of quality steel that would be truly usable in the field.  

Grant - Yes, now you are talking my language...

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys, it was a fun project.

Wade, I have two 648s and the older one (pictured) seems to have better steel than the newer of the two.

I agree, neither would be my choice for a hunting knife. I suppose, if it's in the sheath, sharpening tools arent far away.

Grant, I just took a look at Fred's knife kit. That's cool.  When you and Doc start making them, count me in for one.  I figure you and Doc will get the first two made and since Wade spoke for one ahead of me, I'll be happy with serial number D&G004   ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Trap - It would be great if someone here had a hardness tester so we could send them knives and get an accurate comparison of the steel in these knives. The little dimple imprint from a tester would be worth it to know the hardness of the steel.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Grant, I would be interested in buying a sheath or two when you get these going. I have several sets of original components waiting to go in them. I've wanted to comission a local guy to do this for several years, and have never gotten around to it. Please keep in touch. Thanks CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Grant & Doc- You know you can count me in on one of your custom knife sets.I'm thinking a Puma Hunter's Pal or a Marbles instead of the Western.
 I'll be D&G005.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Trap,
Nuthin wrong with that effort at all! If that was your first go at it, you need only a little practice and you could go "pro"! Nice job.
Harry

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
You guys know Bowdoc- when I get him to get around to it we'll all know about it, LOL. He's headed for the Cascades for a month and we intend to hash the rest of it out on his return. The serial numbers sound like a good idea also. Should be fun; it'd be great fun if they were easier to make. Harry's set looks nice as well; I wouldn't mind having one of those.   Grant

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Yeah I want one of Harry's also.  Knives are kinda like bows.  Can't have too many.

Trap

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Hi Wade,
Just wanted to let you know I got the Bear File and Handle. It arrived with a chip out of the handle, I didnt see a chip in the package, I hope to God it was chipped before you sent it to me. If not I will try to get you a replacement for it. I am sorry.

I got all of the dimensions off of the handle and I have a few of the Nicholson Bastard files on hand, so I am ready to get going on the project.

Let me know about the file handle! I will pack up this one and send it back to you.
Thanks
Harry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©