INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knock off Bear Knife Kit  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knock off Bear Knife Kit
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Hello Harry,

Forgot to mention the file handle had a chip out of it. That is the way I got it in a set. Guessing someone tried to use a little too much force to remove the handle from the file. When I find one that is really stubborn, I just leave the original file attached rather then mess it up like that one. It really doesn't look bad in a sheath, but it can not be used in its present state.

If you want to keep the file handle until after you get some made up that is fine. It might be useful for a comparison. There is no rush to get it back to me. Feel free to keep it awhile.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Well,
The first of my interpretations of the Bear Bowhunters Kit will be finished in a day or so. I think it is looking pretty good, you guys will have to be the judge! I'll post pics as soon as I can.

I will have to make minor adjustments in the pattern, before I start the other two kits I have  materials for though. Thanks for being patient!
Harry.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
To remove the handle on a Bear file, just put it in hot water for a few minutes, and they slide right off. Stick the new file in before it cools and you are good to go.

Semi-Chrome paste will clean some pretty nasty ones into jems too.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Hello Folks,
Well, I have pics of the first "Knock-Off" Bear Bowhunters Kit I put together. As I said before, I have materials for three like this. Using Vintage (used) Western #648 knives, Vintage(nearly new)Norton Hone Stones and new Broadhead file with an antler handle. Of course the sheaths will be new, hand stitched using tooling leather rather than the lighter leather the origionals used. This one is marked #1 and is spoken for, they will be $150.00 each Plus $6.00 USPS mailing.
I have a list of those who expressed interest and will e-mail them first thing. Anyone else interested, PM me.

I will be aquiring more #648 knives and I have a source for more Norton stones of a slightly smaller size, 3" long rather than 4" long. I will use these in future kits. (at least for the time being).
Thanks,
I hope you like them!
Harry.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Very Nice!!!!!

Harry, do you have a price set for just the sheath without components?

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
Harry,

The kit looks great....very professional work and good quality materials.

Hold my place in line.

Billy

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
super job,it looks great  :thumbsup: . pm sent.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I'm interested in a sheath or two. How much for them? Thanks, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Trap and ckruse,
Sorry I havn't responded sooner. I should be able to do this, I assume it would be for the #648 knife and a standard size norton stone(which are damm rare and hard to find! 7/8"x4"x1/4")? Be aware that all of the Western Knives vary somewhat in size around the handle and finger guard area depending on if grip was delrin-"Stag", delrin-"Bone", stacked leather or actual bone, or actual stag (both rare).

All of these knives were finished by hand for final grinding and polishing, so even the blade width and guard width and shape can be different.
No CNC back in the early days in Boulder!
Let me think on pricing and I will bet back to you.
Harry

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Harry- Great Job! These things are a b*&%$ to build and you've done an outstanding job. Guys, there is no way anything I put together is going to look better than this. The price for the whole kit is very, very fair. Actually, its a bargain.   :thumbsup:  Grant

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Hello Grant,
Thanks for the kind words! I am working with veg. tanned tooling leather, so sewing by hand is tough! Your right. But I think the end result will be a tougher longer lasting "user" sheath.

I hope you guys like 'em. As I stated above Please, every one interested realize that #1 the Knives are used, and show some wear, but all are in good to great using shape. The stones will be the vintage used or vintage "new" if I can find them, otherwise I will use new Norton stones which are 3" long rather than 4" as in the origionals, and Lastly, the files will be new with an antler handle, I may use a hardwood in the future but I have a good supply of smaller (sigh!) deer racks to cut up!

I am currently working on sets #2, #3 and #4. They are spoken for, but more to come. I will also have sets sometime in the future using  knives larger than the #648's as originally used.
Thanks a lot!
Harry.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
ttt

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Still wondering about a sheath or two made to original dimensions? CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Here are a few more knock off sets that I saw earlier this month at the Labor Day Weekend shoot of the Nebraska Traditional Archers. They are made by a fellow who lives in Central Nebraska, a couple hours west of my place. He may even chime in here...

There are probably more guys making these knock off sets than we are aware of right now. Each bowman in his own way keeping the tradition alive.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Wade.. those are very cool... I need to get one...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I had so much fun doing my first one, I had to try again.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Trap -

Wow, you did a great job on the Puma Set, I really like it. You used an original Hunter's Pal too, just like Fred's.  

You even put the Puma trademark, extra leather boot lace on it, and even tied it in the Puma knot... Very fancy, I am impressed.

I have two Hunter's Pal knives like Fred's. May have to talk with you about making up a sheath like yours for the Hunter's Pal that I don't use.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Thanks Wade, I'm sure we could work something out.  

The sheath that was with my Hunter's Pal was literally falling apart so I robbed a few parts off of it. I'll have to check the web to find a brass stud that holds the strap in place.  A snap would have been sufficient but I was trying to keep with the Puma theme.

I felt the knife really needed the Puma knot to prevent it from getting lost.  

If I do it again there will be other minor tweaking necessary.  I wish the knife set down in the sleave a little better.

Trap

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »
great job Trap,  :thumbsup:  that set looks great!

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Nice work Trap!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©