INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Twisted Super Grizzly  (Read 322 times)

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisted Super Grizzly
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Brought home a Super Grizzly with a bad twist on the lower limb today..wall hanger..tip key ring..good coin..thinking of what I could do with the bow..well I strung it up and started working on the limb, cranking it the opposite way while rubbing the middle of the limb to the tip vigorously with a terry cloth rag building up some really good heat in the limb and keeping the pressure on it , then drawing it a few times....the twist is gone and I now have a 50# shooter..I will keep it strung several days and keep drawing it..looks to be cured..Roy

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisted Super Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Roy,

Good work. Let us know if your fix sticks. I've seen that sort of thing work before. I, for one, will be interested to hear if your magic works permanently on this bow.

Do some shooting, let some time pass and then please let us know how the string is tracking.

Bill

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Straitened several bows using hot air and or water. I'm really a bit anal when it comes it working on bows so I used a biaxial jig. Lots of folks have had good results using much less complicated technique.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Roy- Good job! I have no doubt that you can straighten that limb permanently but you may have to repeat the process more than once. I personally favor your method over the hot water version and I have straightened some pretty twisted sisters over the years. Its a shame Bowdoc is on the mountain right now. He does this all the time; says St. Charles showed him how in a roundabout way. Sounds like you have a pretty good method as well, Rick.     Grant

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Fixed a Super Kodiak that way, about 12 years ago, and with a few touch-ups in the first year it has stayed fixed. I will hunt with it this year.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©