INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Type 1 A riser question/limb fit problem  (Read 409 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Type 1 A riser question/limb fit problem
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
I had a Bear Type 1 A riser, bought a set of #3 limbs that came with a Type 1 C riser. I sold the bow with two sets of limbs. the #3 limbs crack and pop when bow is drawn, it appears that the alighnment hole is too big. I had never put the #3 limbs on the bow, but the buyer is questioning this so thought I would come to the experts. Is this a common problem and or is there a fix for the problem???

I was under the impression that all the limbs would interchange on any riser with no problem.

Any ideas????

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Type 1 A riser question/limb fit problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Danny, in my experience, yes they all fit but not without a little 'tweaking'.  Usually the alignment hole needs to be ever so lightly routed out(pocketknife) or the 'forks that go in the socket first need a little shaving(too long).
Unless a limb is really out of 'whack' you should be able to make them fit.  Hope this helps.....................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
The no-tools Bear latch TD system is remarkably effective. Time had shown that. But if it does have one fault, it’s that it relies on the tension fit between two parts – the inside of the latch pocket and the precise diameter and shape of the limb butt.

The best way to compensate for that is to somewhat custom fit each limb into each pocket…if need be. With most Bear TD limbs that’s not necessary. They slide right in and latch down securely and quietly. Occasionally, though, some custom fitting is necessary, which I’ve found is no big deal. Just do it.

The most common (although rare) occurrence is a very slightly undersized limb butt. In that case, I’ve found that  a little electrical tape, duct tape, moleskin, thin rubber or even leather cut and stuck or glued onto the limb butts here and there will make the limb fit better and snugger in the pocket. And it will also usually eliminate any creaks and groans.

If the limb butt is a tad oversized (very rare), careful sanding of the butt where it binds can alleviates the problem quickly. Again, some thin padding can be used to eliminate any unwanted noise.

The Bear latch TD system is extraordinary, but like most things it can occasionally benefit from some tweaking.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
All, I am the one who purchased the bow from Danny and I appreciate all the suggestions and believe me I will give them all a try. There has to be a fix.
But my real concern I believe is the hole where the screw head fits into the limb is too large. When I set the limb in place without being latched there is all kinds of play and my other limbs are pretty secure hardly needing to be latched.
But let me try what you all have come up with and I will report back.
Thanks
Andy

Offline joebewan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
just a little something i ran into that you might look at. i have three risers an A mag a B mag and a A wood riser.the A wood riser is one of the newer risers. the newer limbs would fit on the A mag riser but not on the B mag riser. after looking in to it i discovered that the alignment screws on the B mag had bigger heads than the screws on the A mag and A wood risers. im wondering if maybe at sometime or another the factory used a different screw from time to time because of availabilty. and matched the limbs to fit the larger screws.or maybe someone that owned this riser before me changed the screws to fit there limbs better.no telling but has anyone else ever ran into this before.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I could not of said it any better.
Also I know I should not admit to this but even my wife thought the holes on the white tip limbs looked bigger than what I have on my red tip and green tip limbs.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Put lots of string wax on the butt of the limbs and things will be quiet. They all make some noise until you add some wax.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Guys I think we got it!!!! Between just shooting it like Grant said and some good old fashion string wax most of the time now it does not squeak. I am sure the more I shoot it the noise will go away.

Thanks all of you for your help. And Danny even after the sale you stayed with me I really do appreciate that.

Andy

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:  I just read my post and the last sentence looks like I got interupted a time or two. Glad you could decode it, lol. Great to hear things are quietening down. BTW- that alignment screw doesn't really do too much and being too tight or too shallow would be a much more serious problem- too shallow is a major factor in the signature limbs that broke, judging from the examples I've seen and a little personal experience. Glad it worked out- have a great season,    Grant

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Andy,

Glad it is working out, those are nice limbs and at 65# a great weight. The Red tips ain't bad either.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
You guys are all a pretty good bunch of guys, that is why I enjoy this site so much. Mostly read what you all have to say and ocassionally will put in my two cents worth.

Thanks again,

Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©